Author Topic: Shot my first HK VP9 this weekend (yes this is cz poly related)  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Edward_Teach

My buddy picked up a new VP9 the other day and wanted to see if I wanted to hit the range and check it out, so of course I wanted to (as far as I know he has only ever shot his Glock 43, his one and only handgun).

He was debating between a "midnight bronze" glock 19 or the vp9, but even as a former glock fanboy (now cz fanboy still kinda like glocks) I told him even thought the vp9 was a little more expensive it came with night sights and a total of 6 mags and the better trigger out of the box, by the time he got done doing all that glocks need done it's about the same price as the new hk.

So he got the HK we went to the range, well I had to bring my RMR'd P-07,
Now the HK was beautiful for a striker i love how it felt in the hand a little more than my CZ, but I don't like how it had the striker indicator in the back, I loved the mag release.

I did get to introduce my friend to the CZ but I think it was a little overwhelming for him at the time. Between trying to explain the DA/SA to someone who has only even shot a striker fired gun, then adding in the RMR which I was going to turn off and let him just use the irons but also waa hoping to show how easy an RMR was with aiming (didn't realize until leaving he didn't know that the red dot can be anywhere in the window)

In the end he liked the CZ but was not a fan of the DA trigger pull, he did love my agency arm's trigger on my chopped G17.  I loved how the vp9 felt in the hand and got to thinking the P30 could be super nice. But I am more excited about getting all the Cajun goodness inside my P07 more, then get that DA down to around 8-8.8lbs
Glock Gen 5
When you want 1982 innovation today

Offline jimjc

Re: Shot my first HK VP9 this weekend (yes this is cz poly related)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:52:52 AM »
There are lots of good guns out there now, CZ, HK, SIG, WALTHER, and many more. I shot HK's for a long time now I have CZ P10C, SIG P320, Walther PPS M2, all my 22lr target guns and then the rifles. All of them are great to shoot.

These days you could really spend a great deal of money on guns based on whats available.

CZ has a number of guns that are on my list for the future. It never ends :)

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 09:57:28 AM »
I loved how the vp9 felt in the hand and got to thinking the P30 could be super nice.

I almost went the P30 route before jumping into the P-07 with both feet. The things that held me back with the P30 were cost and accessibility.

IMO the P30 REALLY needs trigger work to even get to where the P-07 is out of the box. That adds cost and time without to an already costlier gun...

The other factor is that the P-07 and P-09 are relatively simple to upgrade and maintain without special tools or training. HK guns, not so much, and it doesn't help that HK is restrictive about who they admit into their armorer courses.
"A man's character is his fate."

Offline Edward_Teach

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 10:50:55 AM »
I loved how the vp9 felt in the hand and got to thinking the P30 could be super nice.

I almost went the P30 route before jumping into the P-07 with both feet. The things that held me back with the P30 were cost and accessibility.

IMO the P30 REALLY needs trigger work to even get to where the P-07 is out of the box. That adds cost and time without to an already costlier gun...

The other factor is that the P-07 and P-09 are relatively simple to upgrade and maintain without special tools or training. HK guns, not so much, and it doesn't help that HK is restrictive about who they admit into their armorer courses.

The initial cost of a p30 is what kept me from getting one along with HKs we are better than you and we know it attitude. Then I found cz and again a sub $400 gun (which I am told has a better out of the box trigger) and then say $224 for the Cajun package is still less than half of the price of a P30.

Granted aftermarket is a little slim for the p07/09 But they are relatively newer guns and thanks to the 10c I think they are finally starting to get the attention they deserve
Glock Gen 5

Offline Mjolnir

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 09:38:58 PM »

All the P30, P2000 need is LEM with the "Todd Green Special" spring setup - heavy Trigger Return Spring, light Firing Pin Block Spring and I *think* its DA hammer spring and they will SHINE.

Now I understand there is the "CD4.1 trigger kit that reduces the pre-travel by  1/4" so there is much to those pistols for REAL WORLD carry. Probably the best out there for that.

Ask me how I know...

I have a CGW P-07 on order. Probably will get a phone call in a month. I'm really looking forward to it as a potential carry piece as it appears to be relatively simple to work on - but the HK's are terribly difficult either. And there are "manuals" and vids for that, too.

I understand why HK limits who gets into their Armorer Courses. I just don't like it. LOL!

They really should make at least one exception: for me! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Edward_Teach

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:42:09 PM »

All the P30, P2000 need is LEM with the "Todd Green Special" spring setup - heavy Trigger Return Spring, light Firing Pin Block Spring and I *think* its DA hammer spring and they will SHINE.

Now I understand there is the "CD4.1 trigger kit that reduces the pre-travel by  1/4" so there is much to those pistols for REAL WORLD carry. Probably the best out there for that.

Ask me how I know...

I have a CGW P-07 on order. Probably will get a phone call in a month. I'm really looking forward to it as a potential carry piece as it appears to be relatively simple to work on - but the HK's are terribly difficult either. And there are "manuals" and vids for that, too.

I understand why HK limits who gets into their Armorer Courses. I just don't like it. LOL!

So I'll start with I completely understand HKs borderline hatred for the US civilian market but it's still fun to bash on it.

As for the trigger on the P30 correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't HK have like 643 different versions of their DA/SA / DAO I could never figure out what is what.

With that being said the egos may be a little nicer but still a P-07 with Cajun gun works parts (hell even having CGW do the work) I'm still coming in way under the price of a stick P30 that will then need some deep deep loving

I do like that mag release style though  :/

In the end the P07 wins out for me not even trying to sound cheap. And once my 07 is finished I have a few other CZs
Glock Gen 5

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
Shot my first HK VP9 this weekend (yes this is cz poly related)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 07:45:56 AM »
As for the trigger on the P30 correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't HK have like 643 different versions of their DA/SA / DAO I could never figure out what is what.

Jeez, man... it's 646. Keep up! ;-)

With that being said the egos may be a little nicer but still a P-07 with Cajun gun works parts (hell even having CGW do the work) I'm still coming in way under the price of a stick P30 that will then need some deep deep loving

I do think the P30 and VP9 feel good to hold but that did not translate into better shooting for me. Same with the Sig P229... odd, perhaps, but it broke me of putting a lot of stock in just how a gun feels to hold.

Don't get me wrong - the P-07 feels good to hold to but there are leverage points there that I lacked with the "nicer feeling" guns.

I did at first... but breaking the habit of years of thumb actuation just didn't happen. After a year with the HK I still found myself having to think too much about the mag release.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:17:58 AM by s0nspark »

Offline s0nspark

• Administrator
  • System Admin
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 07:49:45 AM »

Eh... LEM and me just didn't get along... I tried to like it but it is just so much more different than any of the other guns I shoot that I decided that, to master it, it would have to be all LEM all the time or everything else. I chose everything else.

LEM, it wasn't you, it was me. Sorry.

Ask me how I know...

Asking cause you asked me to :)

Offline Mjolnir

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 08:11:47 AM »

Ask me how I know...

So I'll start with I completely understand HKs borderline hatred for the US civilian market but it's still fun to bash on it.

In the end the P07 wins out for me not even trying to sound cheap. And once my 07 is finished I have a few other CZs

Every thing is certainly not for everybody.

Lots of "fail" in your post. Probably not worth delving into...

anything