Author Topic: Evo suppressor recommendation  (Read 1635 times)

Offline rcm192

Re: Evo suppressor recommendation
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 02:12:27 AM »
Another vote for the Octane 45 HD...with new 3 lug mount and the 9mm endcap! I love this set up.

Offline Superdave532

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2017, 09:58:29 AM »
Another vote for the Octane 45 HD...with new 3 lug mount and the 9mm endcap! I love this set up.

I'm a total newbie when it comes to suppressors - what's the advantage of going with the 45 model with end cap vs the 9mm model? Versatility or something else?

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 11:30:30 AM »

I'm a total newbie when it comes to suppressors - what's the advantage of going with the 45 model with end cap vs the 9mm model? Versatility or something else?

Curious about this too?  Just versatility to use on a wider range of firearms?

Online st381183

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »

SilencerCo no longer makes or sells the 9mm end cap for the Octane 45 due to too many end cap strikes especially when using the old tri lug adapter (which sucks). The 9mm end cap does not provide any discernible dB reduction. 

Why a 45 can when using predominantly a 9mm host?  The 45 can has more volume and suppression is on par and sometimes better than a dedicated 9mm can.  The Octane 45 is a great can and I use it with a Griffin internal tri lug adapter for rock solid lock up and awesome suppression on my EVO and pistols.  Plus I can shoot my 45s with it and subsonic 300blk.

I also have a Rugged Obsidian 45 and it is a far superior can. It does have a 9mm end cap which I use when shooting in the K configuration so I can keep the attachable adapter sealed up with the 45 end cap.  The Obsidian works awesome on my EVO and pistols.  If you are buying just one can, I would go for the Obsidian as it is currently the dB leader of the pack and you get a long and K configuration.

EDIT** I forgot to mention that the Obsidian uses the same pistons and accessories as the Octane 45 series from Silencerco.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 05:37:42 PM by st381183 »

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 05:20:04 PM »

SilencerCo no longer makes or sells the 9mm end cap for the Octane 45 due to too many end cap strikes especially when using the old tri lug adapter (which sucks). The 9mm end cap does not provide any discernible dB reduction. 

Why a 45 can when using predominantly a 9mm host?  The 45 can has more volume and suppression is on par and sometimes better than a dedicated 9mm can.  The Octane 45 is a great can and I use it with a Griffin internal tri lug adapter for rock solid lock up and awesome suppression on my EVO and pistols.  Plus I can shoot my 45s with it and subsonic 300blk.

I also have a Rugged Obsidian 45 and it is a far superior can. It does have a 9mm end cap which I use when shooting in the K configuration so I can keep the attachable adapter sealed up with the 45 end cap.  The Obsidian works awesome on my EVO and pistols.  If you are buying just one can, I would go for the Obsidian as it is currently the dB leader of the pack and you get a long and K configuration.

Very good.  If they ever pass SHARE, ill get one.

Offline cocowheats

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2017, 12:04:55 AM »
I shoot 9mm and 7.62x39 out of my Bowers Vers 9. Only suppressor on the market that can do that directly, just needs the ST upgrade that isn't publicly advertised. I actually have a 3 lug on my Scorpion and my PWS 7inch 7.62x39 and swap the suppressor between guns in seconds.

Griffins Optimus can do that as well. The Optimus can handle some pretty big .30cal rounds...

Optimus is pretty solid do all can.

Online st381183

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »
Optimus is a great can but a heavy can because it's built like a tank to take 300WMG pressures. On a pistol it is heavy.  I use my Optimus now as a loaner when I hit the range with buddies. It is durable and I bought about all the mounting options they make during my waiting period.  If you can afford two cans I recommend a 45 pistol can and a 30 cal rifle can. That should meet your needs. Remember don't just chase dB ratings, size, weight, POI shift, mounting options, servicability, are important factors as well. I happen to like the cans that Rugged makes but the other top tier manufacturers make great cans too.

EDIT**Get a dedicated 22 can if you shoot 22. 22 is a dirty lead depositing Ammo that will tear your can up with lead fouling.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 07:51:12 PM by st381183 »

Offline JeffroJ

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2017, 05:51:52 PM »

Can you tell much of a difference between the 9mm and 45 endcap in the long configuration?
Product Designer

Offline wisemenofgotham

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2017, 06:23:42 PM »
Omega 9k for a nice compact set up.
CZ P-07 Urban Grey 9mm
CGW Pro-Grade, Short Reset, Polished

Wish List:
CZ Czechmate
CZ Scorpion EVO SBR

Offline deadpair71

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2017, 06:33:55 PM »
Octane 9 with the Griffin 3 lug.  Have about 1600 rounds through this combo so far via practice and steel challenge matches with zero problems.

I do make sure to clean the guts of the scorpion and especially the 3 lug locking components after every match because it gets absolutely filthy.  The 3 lug retention spring and spacer can lose it's ability to maintain a strong lock once it gets dirty.

Offline Arokcrwlr

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2017, 11:21:50 PM »

Can you tell much of a difference between the 9mm and 45 endcap in the long configuration?

I can tell no noticeable difference between the 45 and 9mm end caps when the Obsidian is in the long configuration.  I'm sure if measured there may be some difference, but it is negligible.

Online st381183

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2017, 11:50:10 PM »

I can tell no noticeable difference between the 45 and 9mm end caps when the Obsidian is in the long configuration.  I'm sure if measured there may be some difference, but it is negligible.

You won’t hear any difference. I bought the 9mm end cap so I can leave the 45 end cap on the removable module, it keeps the baffles in. I also shoot primarily 9mm so it works well in the K config to have the 9mm endcap on the K can and the 45 endcap on the module, my OCD wont let me not cap the module.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 12:08:51 AM by st381183 »

Offline KevGuillot

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2017, 01:08:43 PM »
Love my Octane 45k!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

anything