Author Topic: How does the "safety" lever do on a Rami (not the Rami BD)  (Read 3836 times)

Offline Papersniper

How does the "safety" lever do on a Rami (not the Rami BD)
« on: August 22, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »
I am interested in a DA/SA pistol around the Rami's size. I would prefer a model that has a decocker that allows the user to lower the hammer into DA mode. I would prefer that that action does NOT operate as a manual safety however. I believe the Rami BD model works like that. However, I cam having a great deal of trouble finding a Rami BD model.

What happens with a non-BD Rami when the lever is pressed (down? up?).
1. Does it simply leave the hammer where it was, either in SA or DA mode but introduce a manually safety where pressing the trigger will not result in a discharge?
2. Or will it lower the hammer AND allow the use of a manual safety.
3. OR will it not lower the hammer.....but the operator can pull the trigger and interfere with the hammer falling to prevent a discharge and then activate the manual safety?

I suppose what I want that lever to do is what most DA/SA Sigs do: lower the hammer but not activate any manual safety and place  the gun in DA mode But, Sig does not make a model I can afford, especially in a smaller gun. My Sig 228 is close, but I'd like something more like the Rami's size.

Thanks. 8)

Offline Jonesn

Re: How does the "safety" lever do on a Rami (not the Rami BD)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 08:17:53 PM »
1 Answer to all your questions:
1.  Safety will only accurate when hammer is back. Safety on with hammer in cocked and locked position.Drop safety and FIRE in SA mode!

The Rami Safety model has an outstanding spur on the trigger and is very easy to manually drop the hammer without the worry of slippage and discharging. I just put 1 in the pipe and drop the hammer into DA mode and you are ready to rumble. I do not carry cocked and locked though. If you are not ok with dropping the hammer manually then you need a BD. BD has "no safety" at all.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:20:05 PM by Jonesn »

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 12:30:34 AM »
^^^ Bingo.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline gculpable

• You are your own first responder
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:08:40 AM »
To answer your questions:

1.  When the safety is engaged (up for safe) the hammer remains in the cocked position, in what most people call "cocked and locked" or single action.  If you manually drop the hammer, the safety will not engage and you will be in double action.

2.  With safety models of the RAMI the safety will not drop the hammer.  It is a safety only.

3.  If you manually drop the hammer the safety will not engage.  It only will engage with the hammer cocked.

It seems that what you really want is the decocker model which does what the Sigs do:  Drop the hammer and put the gun in double action mode.

Your compact options for this are the RAMI BD, the PCR, and SP-01 which all have the decocker.
CZ 75BD
CZ 75BD Compact (not PCR)
CZ SP-01 Tactical
CZ P-01
CZ P-07
CZ P-09
CZ P-10c
CZ 2075 BD RAMI
Canik55 Stingray C

Offline Papersniper

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:46:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies, ya'll, that answers THOSE questions.  ;)

Yep, I do want the BD model, but I have been unable to find it. The other CZ "decocker" models don't interest me as much as the Rami; except for the CZ 75 D PCR Compact. I am starting to research that pistol, although it is a bit larger than I'd prefer; and apparently are rare as the Rami BD.  And I am trying to decide if I can live with a Rami non-BD model.......or look for another pistol with a decocker only feature. I have been carrying striker fired pistols, but lately have become interested in DA/SA with decocker pistols for carry. My P-07 functions close to the way I like, but I'd like to have something smaller, and something that's not polymer, although I have nothing against that material, I am just looking for something different for the collection. I know a couple of the Bersa models work like the BD, but I'd prefer to stick with higher-end pistols: H&K, Sig, CZ, Beretta, Walther, etc.

My issue with the manual safety on pistols is I'd be concerned I'd inadvertently push the safety ON. I do not want to fuss with training etc to push a safety OFF when I draw the pistol. Since I presently carry striker fired pistols now, all without a manual safety, I want to be able to unholster the pistol and pull the trigger.....the old KISS principal. <g>

So, maybe I can get some recommendations? My needs and wants are below:

Need
1. DA/SA, hammer fired, decocker only, no manually safety
2. No more than 5" inches height, 6.8 inches in length.
3. 9mm

Want
0. Metal frame (a Want bordering on a Need)
1. Weight under 30 oz
2. Magazine capacity 10 or more
3. Metal, replaceable front and rear sights
4. No magazine disconnect (can fire pistol with magazine removed)
5. Easy take down.....nothing like the 1911, most Kahrs, etc.

I would consider a DAO pistol without manual safety, but I am very picky about trigger pull. I had a Sig P250 that was a wonderful pistol except I hated pressing that long heavy trigger. I have thought about the H&K LEM models, but I'd need to be able to try their triggers. They look on paper to be a bit longish and heavy.

Offline 5Wire

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 02:46:27 PM »
Need
1. DA/SA, hammer fired, decocker only, no manually safety
2. No more than 5" inches height, 6.8 inches in length.
3. 9mm
I have the RAMI with the safety. It is easy enough to manually drop the hammer. The DA/SA 'Need' may not happen in your CZ hunt.

I also have a Walther P99C. I know, it's not CZ:

P99C AS 9mm
Model: 2796376
Caliber: 9mm
Barrel Length: 3.5"
Trigger Pull: DA: 9/SA: 4.5 lbs
Trigger Travel: DA: 0.6/SA: 0.3"
Capacity: 10 rds
Overall Length: 6.6"
Height: 4.3"
Safety: 3 Auto
Width: 1.3"
Weight Empty: 21.5 oz

Offline Papersniper

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 08:16:19 AM »
"..I also have a Walther P99C. I know, it's not CZ:.."

Yeah, I keep thinking about that Walther P99c. I was going to order one while Walthers rebate is active until I saw the rebate is only for PPQ and PPS models. I've got (currently) four Walthers in the gun safe, but all are striker fired. I carry only the PPS, but I really like Walther pistols - great quality and ergonomics, especially the PPQ line. I use them as range guns. The P99 and PPc keep calling to me.....one thing that I do not like is that top mounted decocker and mag "paddle" release....no real reason, it's just different. But then again I do own H&Ks, including a VP9sk which is my regular carry pistol, and of course it does have a paddle release. <g> But it seems different to me that the paddle release I tried on a M1 PPS a while ago. The Sig's decocker is by far my favorite, but many of their pistols, especially those for carry, either I cannot afford or they are too large.

I still am hesitant to order the B model Rami. I'm concerned I'd inadvertently activate the manual safety at the worst possible moment. The Rami BD is much preferred. I think the BD comes stock with night sights, which I do not need, so I'd be paying a premium for that option also. I have been looking at the CZ PCR, and it's a very nice handgun on paper. I think it's marginal for my wardrobe during the warmer months (I live near Memphis, TN) and I'd probably want to replace its stock sights, but it is a decocker only, which is want I want.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:54:48 AM by Papersniper »

Offline Swankdaddy

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »
Just FYI. If anyone is in the market for one, DEGuns.net has 32 BD models in stock as of this morning.

Offline tdiddi

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 09:22:35 PM »
Just FYI. If anyone is in the market for one, DEGuns.net has 32 BD models in stock as of this morning.

Too bad I live in Kali and cant get the BD model  :(

Offline Man1nboat

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 12:36:42 AM »
Love the Rami with the safety and agree with the drop-the-hammer comments. This is the way I carry. I would also recommend the old style 85c trigger as well.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 02:54:04 PM »

Your compact options for this are the RAMI BD, the PCR, and SP-01 which all have the decocker.

P01, SP01 is full size safety and SP01 Tactical full size decocker.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline klamathsteel

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 01:05:34 AM »
"..I also have a Walther P99C. I know, it's not CZ:.."

Yeah, I keep thinking about that Walther P99c. I was going to order one while Walthers rebate is active until I saw the rebate is only for PPQ and PPS models. I've got (currently) four Walthers in the gun safe, but all are striker fired. I carry only the PPS, but I really like Walther pistols - great quality and ergonomics, especially the PPQ line. I use them as range guns. The P99 and PPc keep calling to me.....one thing that I do not like is that top mounted decocker and mag "paddle" release....no real reason, it's just different. But then again I do own H&Ks, including a VP9sk which is my regular carry pistol, and of course it does have a paddle release. <g> But it seems different to me that the paddle release I tried on a M1 PPS a while ago. The Sig's decocker is by far my favorite, but many of their pistols, especially those for carry, either I cannot afford or they are too large.

I still am hesitant to order the B model Rami. I'm concerned I'd inadvertently activate the manual safety at the worst possible moment. The Rami BD is much preferred. I think the BD comes stock with night sights, which I do not need, so I'd be paying a premium for that option also. I have been looking at the CZ PCR, and it's a very nice handgun on paper. I think it's marginal for my wardrobe during the warmer months (I live near Memphis, TN) and I'd probably want to replace its stock sights, but it is a decocker only, which is want I want.

Don't worry about the safety. I carry the B model every day. When you rack one in the pipe then manually drop the hammer the safety cannot be engaged. First pull is DA, all the rest are SA. Very safe .

anything