Author Topic: An evening w my 1987 CZ 75 Pre-B  (Read 1235 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

An evening w my 1987 CZ 75 Pre-B
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:57:35 PM »
Made a run to the indoor range after work last night. Took my restoration project with me to function fire.

Shot it first. The sear cage has so much movement the safety can be seen moving as SA is pulled. The front sight has a little chip. I shot it with all the Israeli dirt and grime in it still. Just great! My mental game wasn't totally there and my groups opened up. Pictures are of 7 yard group, then I shot at 15 yards, then 25 yards. All free hand. Can't wait to get some work done on this thing!

-

-
-

Then I shot my 10mm Witness Hunter for 25 rounds. Did some 20 yard shots w pace of about a shot every 0.8 seconds. All A zone, but not great groups. Still fun! Then tried some 25 yard shots, standing 2 hand grip. Aimed at the head and yanked 1 shot onto the right shoulder. Other 4 made it on the head. Distance shooting is improving, but I still have a hard time keeping my mind clear as opposed to worrying about the shot breaking.

-

-
-

I spent some rounds with the Rami at 25 yards. Splits around 0.5 seconds. Groups were not my best, but I reminded myself that they are better than I was last time. I didn't take pics because I was mad I wasn't all A zone hits. This probably led to me getting worse...

Went to my SP-01 Compact with the red dot. Red dots feel like cheating. I was mid practice and started thinking of the wrong things. The pic is of 3 mags, 3 rounds each. 15 yards, 0.3 splits. I had started to shift my grip a little to how I used to and this brought back my propensity to push shots left, which 3 did go left. Little clean up in the mental game for consistency.
-

-
-

Eventually I decided I wanted to end with opening up and seeing my sights. I pulled the target to 7 yards, which usually tempts one to look for the bullet hole, not the sight to call the shot. But I determined to hold on tight and steady and see my sight. I proceeded to shoot through about 40 rounds (didn't count) and shoot every CZ I brought. So I cycled through 4 to 6 rounds per mag with my classic 75 Compact, my SP-01 Compact with the red dot, my SAO SP-01 Compact, my Rami, and my Pre-B. All different sights, triggers, grips etc. But the goal was proper shot calling and grip. It was crazy, my mind just shifted, my splits were around 0.2, and I just started to see my sights through recoil again. Whew, so I kept going. Grouping wasn't great, but it got me to end while in the right mindset of shot calling and seeing my shots. Now it's time to resume dry firing, that's finally what is lacking in my practice/confidence.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 08:02:56 PM by Scarlett Pistol »
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Re: An evening w my 1987 CZ 75 Pre-B
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 09:38:33 PM »
Nice work! That Witness 10mm was the gun the Terminator wished he could have found!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 10:24:58 PM »
Nice work! That Witness 10mm was the gun the Terminator wished he could have found!
Thanks! Hahaha an excellent way of putting it! If it is good for nothing else, it shows me how I can tame more recoil than 9mm... But it's good for a lot more than that!

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 10:27:33 PM by Scarlett Pistol »

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 12:28:26 AM »
Those groups are pretty impressive at 0.3s splits!

I tried doing that at 5-7 yards, and I can't get even close to that... and that was with an S2!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 01:03:21 AM »

I tried doing that at 5-7 yards, and I can't get even close to that... and that was with an S2!
Thanks! You'll be there soon. Watching your match videos I am sure you are ahead of me (or will be soon) because you're out practicing me and you look great.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 01:06:47 AM »

Thanks! You'll be there soon. Watching your match videos I am sure you are ahead of me (or will be soon) because you're out practicing me and you look great.

HAH. I haven't shot my S2 in like 3 weeks, dry fired in maybe 2 weeks. Last USPSA match was like a month ago, and it was static shooting. I've just been so busy with my PhD work, and I've run out of ammo too. I haven't had time to really get my reloading set up, partly because I'm incredibly frustrated with thes 115gr super short OAL.

Maybe this weekend i'll just spend a few hours trying to get the ammo figured out.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 01:18:46 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who covers those 65 cent USPSA targets with $10 worth of tape. ;D
Save the "clean" parts of those targets and cut 6"-7" steel plates using the white sides of the shot up targets.  I practice complete plate racks and even make pepper poppers from that white cardboard.   Those are also buried in white tape. O0

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 01:24:42 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one who covers those 65 cent USPSA targets with $10 worth of tape. ;D
Save the "clean" parts of those targets and cut 6"-7" steel plates using the white sides of the shot up targets.  I practice complete plate racks and even make pepper poppers from that white cardboard.   Those are also buried in white tape. O0

That's why I shoot 2/3 size USPSA paper targets :P I think I might need to just cough up and buy some actual size USPSA targets though.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 02:15:47 AM »

That's why I shoot 2/3 size USPSA paper targets I think I might need to just cough up and buy some actual size USPSA targets though.
Hahaha I cut out a C zone version of a cardboard USPSA target and use that as my new template. I found it was harder to scrounge as much scrap cardboard big enough for full size targets. So soon I'll cover even smaller free targets with $10 of tape . They last even longer if I put full strips of tape on the back after they reach this shot up point. Keeps everything together for more bullet holes. (maybe I only did that once...).

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
Looks like the old war horse shoots pretty good.  What kind of changes would you be making to it to improve the groups?

And that front sight type is pinned through the barrel bushing.  I mean it has a post on the bottom that goes into a beveled hole in the top of the bushing and is then staked in place so the front sight post locks the barrel bushing in place.

There are ways around that but you'd be altering the pistol slide to do it.

I replaced the front sight on my Pre B CZ85 but I'm thinking I got lucky.  It's a 1911 front sight that I had to modify the post on (different shape) and then I had to modify a 1911 front sight staking tool to get it inside the smaller hole in the front of the CZ 85/75 vs. a 1911 with the barrel bushing removed.  And then the rear sight I bought worked with the 1911 front sight (I seem to get lucky that way).

Good luck with it, if you make changes.  I'm sure the guys at CGW or CZ Custom have much experience with these and making them better, if you go that route.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 09:20:40 AM »
It definitely did better than I anticipated. I think the first things will be the trigger system. Going to work the old spur hammer (carefully), pin the sear cage, little polishing in certain places, and see what I can do for the DA too. SA was pretty gritty and heavy and the grips and ram were slick. LOK grips and grip tape will help it feel a lot more like my others. I can tell it just wants me to shoot it on every range trip, even during the modification process. I don't have time to pound it out in a week this time, or $$$ to get it done right away, so it will be drawn out.

Eventually I'll get to the bushing and site, but I probably won't broach it for a few months. I may cut the rear notch on my own and then send it to CGW for front sight cut, bushing, and new finish. I'm considering hard chrome....... But who knows yet. Here's a pic of that front sight and bushing I took last weekend when I got it. Just showing people what M1A4ME is talking about with these pre-b 75's.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 10:35:52 AM »
Oh man, cut the notch yourself?? You're really becoming quite the gunsmith. When are you gonna order your lathe and mill? :P

A buddy of mine tried to hard chrome his CTS, but he had all sorts of problems with extraction. Eventually had to go to cerakote.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 10:49:54 AM »
Oh man, cut the notch yourself?? You're really becoming quite the gunsmith. When are you gonna order your lathe and mill? :P

A buddy of mine tried to hard chrome his CTS, but he had all sorts of problems with extraction. Eventually had to go to cerakote.

I wish! Many many things on the list before toys like that. I have a friend who is an engineer and manages a shop. I wish I could get those tools from hearing his project stories. I was just going to open the rear sight up with files, no way do I want to try and cut the new front sight dove tail.

Dang that is too bad for him. Truth be told I want electroless nickel as the base then hard chrome on top. If I do that it would make a visit to CGW for the front sight and bushing. I'd have them do a look over to insure its to spec before they send it off for the finish.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 09:44:47 PM »
Looks like you had a very good range trip!  I have to say, those old spur hammers look very nice...I'd like to see that shape on a new race hammer design.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 09:58:30 PM »
Looks like you had a very good range trip!  I have to say, those old spur hammers look very nice...I'd like to see that shape on a new race hammer design.
It was a fun time! I can't wait to get some time and work the action and this hammer. It needs some love but once it's got a nice break it will have my love .

anything