Author Topic: Sweat, bugs and lead.  (Read 827 times)

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
Sweat, bugs and lead.
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »
Let me start with a simple statement. I hate mosquitoes. Period. When I croak, if I've been good enough to get to Heaven, it's the ONLY question I want to ask The Good Lord Above - WHY MOSQUITOES?!?  They got me today, more than once, but ya know what? It was worth it!

I decided to take an old favorite out that hadn't seen much range time recently, with all these new fangled "self loading" rifles and such...

My little backwoods baby, my CZ 527 M/CSR.

Not your fathers bolt action rifle, by far. ;) Only complaint was the range only 5 round magazine which sometimes didn't want to let the bolt pick up the next round, This is why this magazine is range only - it lets me practice failure drills, too. ;) The ten rounder is for more serious work. Other than that...COWABUNGA!

There's T.U.B at 160 paces. That is ROUGHLY 150 yards...roughly.

So, naturally I gotta get cocky and shoot from the standing position.

Don't let it fool you - that was the best group I got standing! I have a BEAUTIFUL group...in the wood...under the target...gah.
But I was bound and determined to make this baby sing for me, and she did.

Nope, no applause, that was kneeling, braced. Nothing to write home about, but fun, and I think I am safe in saying this will work wonders on ol' Wiley Coyote, IF I can ever get my hunting license/time to learn from someone who has been there, etc.

I had some fun with the various colored cast bullet powder coated loads.

Ok, so it's a wee bit early for Christmas, but you guys know I like to start early planning! No, this rifle will NOT be under the tree - mine, get your own, neener.

After about 100+ rounds, I decided to bring TUB in closer and let the P-10C play. Now, it is important to note I stretched out the Bianchi M-100 IWB holster I had that didn't QUITE fit the P-10c with water and stretching with baggied pistol. Now it fits great, and it was riding BUG behind my left hip. It was 105 degrees, and the humidity was a little high for AZ. Nothing like Georgia or Florida, but there's a REASON I don't live there! Seeing the air is part of it. ;) But I digress.

Shooting was done with two loads, some left over 100 grain Power Points and my usual 124 grain Lee cast bullets.

The lighter PPs, though a much hotter load, recoiled very lightly. The P-10C was not really "hot" on this bullet...

The traditional 124 grain cast were a little better, but more off to the left.

I did do a mag dump with my last 15 Power Points and only missed once...which is, of course, a bad thing.

I got very "blue" about missing...

Ain't I a stinkah?  ;D

But, back to the point about the holster - the P-10C rode in the same position all afternoon, and only came out for shooting, afterwards went back into the holster. When I got home...

That's not wear or stain - that's soaked in sweat. Kudos to Bianchi for a holster made well - none soaked through.

Sweat, bugs, and lead. This is a good day.  8)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Sweat, bugs and lead.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 01:22:33 AM »
Like!!
 ;D
COWABUNGA!
you are getting old.  Only the privileged few still know the translation. ;)
I'm with you on the skeeters.  40% skeeter spray is my answer that mostly works.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 01:24:09 AM by 1SOW »

Offline jwc007

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 02:07:40 AM »
Mosquitoes in Arizona???  Really?  I never would have thought they would be able to survive or breed there.

Anyways, glad you had a good time with the Cz527 and CzP10C.  I love the stock on that Cz527!

And since you mention it..................my Fathers Bolt Action Rifle, now mine.

Custom German Built 98 Mauser in .30/06. Barrel was a Surplus Machine Gun replacement Barrel.
Note: German Double set triggers
"Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »
Not mosquitos, but gnats.

We used to have these little black gnats at home, bad.  They didn't bite, they just went in your ears, up your nose, in your eyes and mouth and when you were out working and sweating they light on you and get stuck in your sweat.  Looked like someone had sprinkled pepper all over your skin.

Some days, they were so bad we'd light "gnat smokes" to allow us to work with less aggravation.  A gnat smoke is a metal bucket with some dry grass in the bottom.  You light the dry grass and throw some green grass on top of it and let it sit there and smoke.  Sometimes we'd have 3 or 4 lit on the hillside across the creek from grandma's house.

My dad told me, one day while we where working the hill side with our scythes (remember those) that his grandpa once told him, "You know, the good book says God made the earth and every creature on it.  But I just don't believe He made these little bastards."

I think of that often if I'm out getting aggravated by the "bugs."

Sweating?  Oh yeah.  Last time I was out with the .40's I was sweating so bad (and I remembered to take a hand towel with me to try to keep wiped off with) that the last group with the P07 and the fast hollow points the gun was moving in my grip.  I noticed it on several shots that it would rotate upwards and I'd loose my hand position on the grip.  That is the first time that every happened.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

anything