Author Topic: Okay, Why are Front FO Sights ROUND?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Okay, Why are Front FO Sights ROUND?
« on: August 19, 2017, 12:47:19 AM »
Yeah, I know it's kind of a goofy question, but with Black rear sights and a F.O. front sight:
Aligning the "TOPS" of the sights on the target isn't as easy as it should be.  The F.O. rod isn't AT the top of the sight.
Wouldn't a FO rod squared at the top align the sights more instinctively/faster and more accurately.  Not hard to do.

If the bead was spun and then squared off flat to the top of the sight.  Melting the front end of the rod would keep the squared portion "UP".

What say you beyond my mental condition?

Offline Joe Allen

Re: Okay, Why are Front FO Sights ROUND?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 09:52:43 AM »
So they fit in the hole in the sight, duh...

Actually, optical fiber is typically round because it is cheaper and easier to make it that way.

However, it can be made in other shapes, and there are potential benefits to a square core cross section.

Offline viking499

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 10:15:48 AM »
Because there is a direct correlation between the shape of the FO rod and the bullet in relation to it's impact on the target.

Square bullets would be harder to chamber anyway. O0

Offline oldfrank

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
Actually there is a flat top to the front sight, I know that is hard to believe for weak eyed geezers like me.

The FO dot is supposed to grab your attention and get you on the front sight quickly and can be used for sighting at maybe 10 yards and under, especially for fast open shots.

For longer, tight and precise shots you should be aligning the top of the front sight with the top of the rear. Hard to do if you can't see it but that is the theory. 
I have lost my FO in the middle of a stage and successfully finished the stage just using the front sight as intended.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 10:23:31 AM by oldfrank »

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »
Exactly my point.  By sanding a small flat on The top of the FO that's been spun to size,  no switch is needed for precise shot alignment if the top of the FO IS at the top of the sight.

Filing/sanding a small flat at the top might reduce the brightness slightly,  but I doubt it's a significant amount. 

I finish my range practice shooting "at"  :) 12 gage hulls on the back berm ,  about 27 yards. The FO is useless. It actually slows down aligning the top of the sight. 

I may give it a try. 

Offline puddintame

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:11:45 AM »
after you heat up the rod. square it off with a playing card? just spitballin :)

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 12:24:57 AM »
Thanks for the thought.  I have lots of rod so I can experiment a little. Maybe a piece of metal?
Things have been busy at home.  Hopefully it'll slow down pretty soon,  so I can load and play a little.

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 07:38:32 PM »
Before I read all the amusing "thinking" ideas but after reading about your condition, 1SOW, my shallow think guess was that straight fiber optic rods may have been spit out (extruded).  I do not complain about my green or red rods but I like Bo-Mar (sp?) black sights and also like red dot things (dated or old).