Author Topic: Anyone BUILDING their own rigs from kydex?  (Read 1989 times)

Offline FN in MT

Anyone BUILDING their own rigs from kydex?
« on: August 24, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »
 I'm a DIY kind of guy and I like working with my hands. So decided I'm going to get some kydex, the hardware required and build a few holsters for my new 75B.  Always looking for Winter time projects, this is a dandy.

Need to either build or buy a press. I like the looks of a few of the commercial presses, so may go that route.  I have a heat gun, small oven, drill press, rivet tool, etc. So not a lot of out of pocket required there.

As per normal....all sorts of "how to do it's" on You Tube or various other places on the web. So no reinventing of the wheel expected.

Anyone else building kydex rigs?

Offline nonamehavei

Re: Anyone BUILDING their own rigs from kydex?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 03:17:05 PM »

Something like this? You should build your own press it's super simple. Do you know what style of holster you plan on primarily making?
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
    Douglas Adams

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:08:07 PM »
   Probably start with a simply, Taco style, folded over. Add a few rivets to the side and simple belt loops or tek lok to the back for attachment.

Offline nonamehavei

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:47:54 AM »

I love this press for taco style holsters, it's about all I do for iwb anymore. Easy to build and easy to operate.
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
    Douglas Adams

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2017, 11:55:40 PM »
   Nice press...any plans available?

I was thinking of the $85, Hinged,  1/4" steel book type press . Mount it on a table. Push down on the handle, secure the chain and done. Also uses clamps.

I DO like this taco style press though. I'll look for plans and build one this week. Ordering up some kydex, hardware, etc on Monday. Need to get going on this as I FINALLY found a new Shadow 2 and it's on the way! LOL.

Offline nonamehavei

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 05:49:20 PM »
http://kydexpro.com/thread/672/coffeebum-taco-press-thread-update
I think the plans are in this thread somewhere if I remember correctly
    Douglas Adams

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:14:57 PM »
  I watched a YouTube vid and got the dimensions. Going to get going on the press this week.  Shouldn't be a big deal to build one.

Still need some foam , a heat gun, an oven  and some way to seat eyelets though. I hate to screw around with 2nd best tools....I may buy the good seater dies and an arbor press.  Yeah it's a hundred bucks plus....But I could always sell it down the road , should this not be a hobby I wish to pursue.

Ordered up some kydex, fasteners and some belt loops.  With any luck I can be burning myself and stinking up the garage in ten days or so.

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »
https://ibb.co/fSuGgv

Finished this one today...it's been a steep learning curve.  I take one step forward and accomplish something...Then a step and a half back to figure out a problem.

FINALLY for a few items from Fed Ex today. Bought jigs, hardware, attachments, etc and opted for Fed-Ex delivery. What a mistake.  Took 14 days from GA to MT. 

Going to be a fun next few days...all sorts of stuff to try out.

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:46 AM »
   Built the coffeebum press. My foam was thicker than 1", so had to redo the two spacers. It works just fine.

Bought a few used  moldguns,  off of kydex pro....a 1911 and a g-42. Drones are FAR easier than using a real gun. Blocking and taping is a bit of a pain.

Did a nice IWB for my G-42. My first try came out OK. Added a FOMI clip.

The CZ 75 was a trial and error deal for sure! I think I did 3 or 4 before I was finally happy with the final press. It's all a learning experience. I still haven't figured out a good way to block for Tek Lok attachments. So rigged up some belt loops for the CZ 75 rig. Works OK.

Quite the hobby.

Offline Jammers1971

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 11:59:37 PM »
I've built 6-8 IWB holsters for various pistols. For myself and friends. Have yet to build a press. I've just been using folded towels over my thigh, lol. Works well, though not as well defined from the outside as a press makes them, but tension is easily perfected and I don't care how 'well defined' the outside of an IWB holster is? Also made the perfect shape for my hip.

Next holsters I'm going to try are going to be AIWB for my CZ's and one for my tomahawk which came with a canvas case that is just asking to slice a leg open.

A medium large toaster oven is handy to evenly heat the kydex, if you use a heat gun keep it moving so you don't scorch the kydex. 

Offline shookscustoms

• Czech yourself before you wreck yo'self!
    • Shop Shook's Customs - Holsters
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 12:18:55 AM »
Not bad at all really.