Author Topic: Tac sport/orange 9mm load data?  (Read 214 times)

Offline orthikon

Tac sport/orange 9mm load data?
« on: August 25, 2017, 01:04:14 PM »
I just starting reloading and would like to get some load data.

So far I am using Xtreme 147 with 3.2 Titegroup and 1.115 per Lyman 50th.

Offline Smitty79

• So many guns, so little time
Re: Tac sport/orange 9mm load data?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 09:16:05 PM »
What are you shooting?   Steel Challenge?   USPSA Limited minor?  3 gun?

Your current load looks like USPSA Llimited minor.

What bullet do you want to change to?   What powder?

What don't you like about your current load?
Don't mistake my high post count for knowledge or wisdom.   I just like hearing myself type.

Offline muncie21

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 11:34:24 AM »
OP, you'll get more feedback if you post this in the reloading forum.

Offline noylj

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 01:52:26 AM »
>I just starting reloading and would like to get some load data.

Reloading data is found in reloading manuals or the reloading section of the powder distributor's web site.
What you get on here in terms of load data is worth less than what you pay for it.
We are guessing that you are loading for 9x19 (9mm Luger), but you really need to state what cartridge you are loading for.
What is Tac sport/orange?
As above, what type of load data do you want? Do you want another bullet or another powder?

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 09:36:32 AM »
I just starting reloading and would like to get some load data.

So far I am using Xtreme 147 with 3.2 Titegroup and 1.115 per Lyman 50th.

Welcome Aboard !

• To clarify Noylj's comments... We don't generally publish load data on this forum. Not because we're mean or hateful, but because of the differences in CZ barrels and the various shooting disciplines, it's generally a useless exercise.

• However, we are very happy to walk you through completing your own testing, and make suggestions for better components, and help you improve your reloading gear and process.

• We see our job here as much more fruitful, if we teach you how to achieve your "best load", rather than give you a canned answer. "Teach a man to fish, versus giving him a fish", so to speak.

• What good does it do you for us to announce "this is the best load", when you can't get those components, or the round won't fit your chamber, or your reloading gear can't make that round ??

• So while it's certainly easier and faster to say, "Here it is. Now go away." We'd rather embark on the longer course, which is more educational and delivers a lot more personal growth in your shooting discipline, your understanding of components, your knowledge of reloading, and improvements in your reloading process that lead to greater safety.

Does that make sense ?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 10:03:16 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 10:57:10 AM »
► Your first lesson will be on reloading data...

You've got the Lyman manual, which is probably the best. Congrats. However, the data (load, bullet weight, OAL) is not a recipe. Learn to read the data as a lab report that says, "this is what we did and no one got killed." So the data is a factual starting point, from which to launch. We'll teach you to move from fact to fact so that you can make safe decisions when you are forced to alter the data for your purposes. I contend you're not really reloading until you can do this !

Now of course, as a novice we want you to start off by strictly following the data to stay safe, but because you shoot a CZ you'll soon come to the place where, "that cartridge won't fit my chamber so what do I do ?" Or, "there's no load data for a 135gr, what do I do ?"

But for the first 1000 rounds, use your present load (which hopefully fits your chamber) to refine and standardize your reloading process. Nothing can contribute more to your personal safety than a well refined reloading process. In reloading Safety comes first. We always err toward Safety !

► Your second lesson will be on 147gr bullets...

Another member will be along shortly to give you his analysis of follow up times with 147gr bullets. However, I want to focus on the physical issues associated with 147's.

The heavier the bullet, the longer the bullet. All CZ pistols have short throats, which sometimes mandates a shorter than published OAL. The problem is, the 9mm cartridge case interior wall starts to thicken about .250 to .300" inside the case. (See cartoon #1.) You can (and should) measure this by sliding your caliper inside a 9mm case. IF the bullet is seated that deeply, then the case will bulge on the exterior. This can keep your cartridge from fully seating in the chamber. The chance of this "bulge" occurring increases with deeper seating due to longer bullets. Therefore your chances of making a bulge are very high since you're using the longest bullets. Follow all that ?

Here's the kicker... the 9mm is slightly tapered on it's exterior. (See cartoon #2.) This means the chamber is also slightly tapered on its inside. So when you load one of these bulged cartridges, the round will go half-way into the chamber and jam into the taper. The gun will not go into battery so it can be fired. Neither will the slide move rearward to clear the round. The slide will be thoroughly jammed... which will utterly ruin your competition times, make the RO mad, and generally cause a 'bad day' all around.

Lessons...
• Just because you haven't seen this issue yet doesn't mean it's not waiting to trip you up.
• Just because you haven't seen this with your current bullet doesn't mean you can use every 147gr bullet with equal success.
• Not every bullet sold can be reloaded for use in any gun. Be very selective in your bullet choices.

;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 11:24:42 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

anything