Author Topic: How to tighten up the slide release lever??  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Keithandstef

How to tighten up the slide release lever??
« on: August 26, 2017, 05:54:07 PM »
Mine (brand new 75B) pops out with strong thumb pressure when in the proper half cocked position. Just feels a but too easy to me. Is there a simple way to make it tighter/harder to pop out? Thanks.

Offline Boris_LA

Re: How to tighten up the slide release lever??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »
 Insert slide release in the frame without slide and you will see easier how it operates.
There is wire spring on the inside of the right side of the frame. It held in place with small pin. Try to straighten it up a little. It will hold the slide stop better.

Offline Tok36

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2017, 08:54:06 PM »
I will add that the slide stop spring retaining pin is very small and easy to lose. As I see it it is best to remove it over something that will not allow it to roll away.

Edit after the fact: adjustment may be accomplished without removing the slide stop spring/pin.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:55:13 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Keithandstef

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
I will add that the slide stop spring retaining pin is very small and easy to lose. As I see it it is best to remove it over something that will not allow it to roll away.

Ok guys I see it. Thank you. Would you suggest that I remove that little pin to allow me to remove that spring? I don't see any other way to get to that spring and to give it a very very very (did I say very) slight additional downward bend.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
You can try to bend it down (actually straiten it) a little without removal by pushing it down with something flat. If it doesn't work for you, removal/install of the short retention pin is easy, just be careful not to lose it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 01:53:19 PM by Boris_LA »

Offline Tok36

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 01:48:53 PM »
^^ I agree with Boris_LA. In my previous post i should have said "if you need to remove the pin" rather than the way i said it.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Keithandstef

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 04:06:19 PM »
^^ I agree with Boris_LA. In my previous post i should have said "if you need to remove the pin" rather than the way i said it.

I have it a downward push with the edge of a thin putty knife. Didn't move. I'm nervous about pushing too hard and marring something. Might just leave it be.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 04:26:40 PM »
If the slide stop is secure....can't fall out during use,  then it's good to go.   Many of us enjoy being able to pull it with thumb pressure.  Both of mine release fairly easily with thumb pressure..... just a small dent in the thumb. :)

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 04:32:31 PM »
I lighten mine to reliably work with Kadet kits. Too strong spring and no lock back on empty magazine.

Offline Keithandstef

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 05:08:38 PM »
I'll just leave it be then. My older 75b has always required a light tap with a rubber mallet. This other one being much easier made me nervous. I bet it's fine. Thanks all, as always.

Offline Winkel

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »
I lighten mine to reliably work with Kadet kits. Too strong spring and no lock back on empty magazine.
I found just the opposite to be the case with a recently purchased 75D.  I could push out the slide stop with my thumb.  The slide stop would pop up during regular shooting two or three times per mag.
I removed the spring, put a little more bend in it to preload it against the slide stop and the problem went away.  I agree with the OP that it MAY cause problems. 
You'll have to remove it to get it to bend enough to actually change it's shape. 

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 06:12:26 PM »
For a couple of mine I had to actually make a replacement spring from the thinner wire. Bending didn't help. Its all about finding the balance for the right stiffness. Some combinations work just fine from the factory.

Offline Keithandstef

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 05:33:17 PM »
It shot flawlessly for 200 rounds. I'm not going to mess with the slide stop. No need. Thanks for the input all the same.

anything