Author Topic: Left handle charging bolt carrier  (Read 1252 times)

Offline dernt

Left handle charging bolt carrier
« on: August 26, 2017, 11:07:05 PM »
czech-point advertised these yesterday by email and was sold out when I checked.  Anyone else bringing these in?

Offline rstrobel

Re: Left handle charging bolt carrier
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 11:08:35 PM »
they will restock, check in the morning

Offline Garys4598

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 11:22:40 AM »
I was able to nab one yesterday morning.   ;D
"Life is too short to shoot an ugly gun."

Online sboone

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 12:19:32 PM »
Yep I got one, gonna put it on a compact  ;D. The $40 off if you already have a CSA or a D-technik was a nice touch

Offline felix

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 06:35:59 PM »
I thought there was a problem with the Left hand handle coming off  ??? or has that been corrected?
Love to play with fast women, sharp knives & loud guns, if the wife says it's okay....

Online sboone

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »
I thought there was a problem with the Left hand handle coming off  ??? or has that been corrected?

I was not aware of this?  In for more info?

Offline Garys4598

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »

Yes, there have been reports during the last several years of left-sided (or right-sided for that matter) charging handles flying-off and thereby posing a significant risk to the shooter since if the handle does so, it may quite readily strike the shooter in the face or eye.  BUT all these reports specifically concerned aftermarket modified CZ/VZ-58 bolt carriers. In other words, these reports concerned an OEM right-side handled bolt carrier that had been modified/changed to be a left-sided handle.  To the best of my knowledge, what CzechPoint-USA is selling is NOT a modified bolt carrier, but a carrier machined from a single block of steel with a left-side handle.  There is no bloody way the handle is going to detach from the bolt carrier (or should I more accurately say, it is no more likely to do so, than an OEM right-handled carrier).

If someone has different information regarding this CzechPoint-USA product offering, please chime in.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:53:34 PM by Garys4598 »

Online sboone

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 10:53:37 PM »
That's good to know.  I always wondered if anyone ever did a Chop'n'swap on charging handles.  Never seen it but it seems so obvious if you did it right. 

Offline Garys4598

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 10:49:27 PM »
I received the CzechPoint USA left-sided bolt carrier today, and its absolutely superb.  The carrier's overall fit and finish is every bit as perfect as the original carrier that I received within my 2015 CzechPoint VZ.58 7.62 rifle.  I couldn't be more pleased with it.

When placing it side-by-side with the rifle's OEM carrier, I can report that the the handle's end knob appears to have a slightly smaller diameter, and the center dimple on the end of the OEM knob, is not present on this left-sided version.  Interesting.

Offline cchiang1

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 08:05:50 PM »
Sounds like it's out of spec and likely to fail.  I'll take it off of your hands before it disappoints you!  ;)

Cary

Offline Kingjenky

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2017, 04:35:07 PM »
Still outa stock😡

Offline RSR

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 03:32:26 PM »

Yes, there have been reports during the last several years of left-sided (or right-sided for that matter) charging handles flying-off and thereby posing a significant risk to the shooter since if the handle does so, it may quite readily strike the shooter in the face or eye.  BUT all these reports specifically concerned aftermarket modified CZ/VZ-58 bolt carriers. In other words, these reports concerned an OEM right-side handled bolt carrier that had been modified/changed to be a left-sided handle.  To the best of my knowledge, what CzechPoint-USA is selling is NOT a modified bolt carrier, but a carrier machined from a single block of steel with a left-side handle.  There is no bloody way the handle is going to detach from the bolt carrier (or should I more accurately say, it is no more likely to do so, than an OEM right-handled carrier).

If someone has different information regarding this CzechPoint-USA product offering, please chime in.

I purchased two and haven't done a complete writeup yet -- but will, eventually.  Briefly:

The left handed handles on these do have a weld.  The handles appear to be recessed into the receiver -- drilled out and handle inserted into the recess and then 1/4-1/3" puddle weld around the handle. 
The Czech ones that everyone praises abroad are build similarly but have a pin installed through the top of the carrier through the handle in addition to weld.  I see no evidence of pin on these. 
Further, these are better than the common diy approach of surface welding handle to the receivers, but still a bit of an unknown quantity.

Lastly, the finish where the handles were originally located on the right is a different paint/finish than the rest of the receivers.  So right handles were cut off and then repainted.  I haven't measured yet to see if they used those cut off handle or a new production part on the left, but worth noting...  If using new production, I don't know why they wouldn't leave both handles intact however.  I see no real drawback, except for left handed shooters who don't want that OE handle moving in their line of sight....

Offline Garys4598

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 02:01:26 PM »
I stand corrected; I defer to everything RSR said.  He knows more about these firearms than I ever hope to.

Offline RSR

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 11:25:43 PM »
One other thing to note that I forgot to mention, the push down plate on these appears to be integral to the bolt carrier so this part is almost certainly a new production CSA part with the handle reversed fwiw (to be cleared, the material where the push down plate portion is located is not milled out on bolt carrier creation on purpose by factory [bolt carrier creation mills a push down plate shape integral to the carrier]; whereas, milsurp parts that piece was always milled out and push down plate welded on at a later time).