Author Topic: Flooding down in Texas  (Read 1115 times)

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
Re: Flooding down in Texas
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
My family and our houses are fine. Just a few miles in every direction though are spots with flooding due to the excessive releases of water from the flood control reservoirs which are above capacity.
sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 from AT&T using Tapatalk
CZ 24, CZ 27, CZ 38, CZ 45, CZ 52, Vzor 70, CZ75BΩ, CZ75D PCR Compact, CZ 75 P07 Duty, CZ75 SP-01 Phantom, CZ P09 DUTY, P10C, CZ 82, CZ 83, CZ 97BE, CZ 452 American. CZ 550 UCS (Urban Counter Sniper), CZ 805 Bren, DUO  & Z

Offline rdcinhou

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 06:36:18 AM »
Power is out over a wide area including us. Here is a screenshot from my cell phone of the outage map:

sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 from AT&T using Tapatalk
CZ 24, CZ 27, CZ 38, CZ 45, CZ 52, Vzor 70, CZ75BΩ, CZ75D PCR Compact, CZ 75 P07 Duty, CZ75 SP-01 Phantom, CZ P09 DUTY, P10C, CZ 82, CZ 83, CZ 97BE, CZ 452 American. CZ 550 UCS (Urban Counter Sniper), CZ 805 Bren, DUO  & Z

Offline TheSurvivalist

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 02:29:31 PM »
Prayers sent. Stay safe.

Offline roadrunner1

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 09:54:09 PM »
looks like its stopped raining in Texas, prayers for the people in Louisiana who are now getting drenched.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 10:43:47 PM »
Good grief.  :o :(

Offline The Conservative

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 01:16:36 PM »
Internet just came back up.  South of Houston and living on what became an island last Monday.  Will probably be another week before the water is down enough to leave.  I am one of the lucky ones.  I am dry, have food, water, power and now internet.
“The projectiles need to go where they will make the guy leak the quickest.  Your goal is to depressurize the circulatory system – let air in, let fluid out. Bonus points for any other disruptions, but don’t count on them.”   Pat Rogers

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 10:00:18 PM »
Thank the Good Lord Above. Did the neighbors band together?

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 10:55:41 PM »
Just got internet and phone back. We lost connectivity to the outside world a few hours after my first post. Thursday was the first day we could get out of the neighborhood. The street was as deep as 3 and a half feet at one point. Water got in on one side of the house and soaked the carpet our living room and the base boards on the whole side. Had to pull out the carpet, remove base boards and cut wall board up about a foot. We never lost power and water was within an inch or so of getting into the whole house. The side that got wet was the side the wind pushed the water up higher than the slab and soaked through the sill.

Everyone in the neighborhood helped out with cleanup, we started at one end of the street and worked down to the other end removing water damaged carpet, flooring, baseboards and wall board. About 1/3 of the homes on the street got some water inside, most were far worse than mine. We're going to do a street BBQ next weekend, Susan, my wife, promised I'd smoke 10 racks of ribs. My next door neighbor (Jimmy) got told by his wife he will smoke 10 chickens.

No one was hurt and everyone I talked with has flood insurance. We're looking at going out of pocket about $2500 to repair everything. It also forces us to put the new floors in the kitchen and master bedroom we keep putting off.

Went into work today, plenty of stuff to get caught up on. I will be working Saturday for 4 or 5 hours, but the Hospital (Texas Children's Hospital) had almost no damage.

We thank God our damage was slight and we were safe and dry. We hope and pray the people of Houston will come back from this as good or better than ever.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2017, 11:08:38 PM »
Really! Glad you made it through as well as you did. 
Good neighbors,  near and far,  are treasures to value. 

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 11:50:41 PM »
Is the water receding from NW Houston areas?
Do you still have power?

Offline rdcinhou

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2017, 06:09:25 AM »
Here's the update for Houston...

1. My house has been high and dry throughout the Hurricane Harvey.  We were without power for 3 days, but it has been restored.
We live just east of the Addicks reservoir and a half-mile north of the spillway.  I grew up hiking, hunting and even sailing in the reservoir. 

2. The shear volume of water collected (and still collecting) in the Addicks and Barker reservoirs is necessitating high volume releases from both reservoirs which empty into Buffalo Bayou. Both reservoirs are normally maintained EMPTY year round--they were designed to hold major flood events. Over the years, many trees have grown in the pool areas of the reservoirs reducing their capacity. The Addicks reservoir only has levees for the south and east sides and are essentially OPEN to the north and west [for background information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addicks_Reservoir]

3. There are neighborhoods and businesses built in the far north reaches of the reservoir. Some of these are now expected to be flooded for a month or more due to the time it takes to drain what has collected and is still collecting.  When they were permitted to be built there in the 1970's, many Houstonians questioned the sanity of those who built and who bought homes there.

4. Downstream along Buffalo Bayou there are many homes and businesses. Many of these homes are expensive and some among the most expensive in the city.  There are even several country clubs along the bayou. The extra volume of water being released into Buffalo Bayou has put it out-of-banks and has flooded many of these homes.  Like the reservoirs, the extra growth of trees along the bayou (in some places there are nature preserves) has reduced its capacity to flow.

5. There are a number of bridges across the bayou, nearly all of which are flooded and one (Wilcrest) is rumored to have been washed out. Since these bridges handled north/south traffic people are having to travel extra distance to the east in order to find a way around to the other side.  Traffic for those taking this route (I-10 to 610 to I-69) is horrendous.  I spent an hour and forty minutes returning home from work Thursday, consuming 1/4 tank of gas in the process.  Some cars stuck in this traffic run out of gas which delays the traffic even more.

6. The mayor of Houston has ordered an evacuation of anyone whose home is currently flooded in the area bounded by I-10 in the north, the Barker reservoir on the west, Briar Forest on the south and Gessner on the East.  This is because with the continued flow out of the reservoir and the capacity behind them, they are expected to remain flooded for at least another 10 days.  This is not a small area and it isn't entirely flooded, but it does contain the winding path of the bayou which is out-of-banks.

7. I drove by the boundary of this area on Friday as that is where my bank, grocery store, barbershop and LGS are. [BTW...my LGS and range came though okay, though the lack of business due to the Hurricane has them hurting]. Many of the neighborhoods had signs saying "Residents Only!". Manned barricades were at some of the entrances--probably armed against looters. Outside the neighborhoods cars were parked just about everywhere imaginable as people could not drive to their homes.

8. The rest of the city is recovering nicely, though in some places the storm water flooded into and out of the sanitary sewers creating bad smells and biological hazards which will need to be addressed.  There are places outside the city that also suffered flooding, but there the flood waters have subsided and people are returning home to begin cleanout and repair.

9. The Hurricane did prevent a gun show from being held at NRG Center on the weekend of the storm.  The loss of revenue for that weekend hurt a friend who is a dealer.  Since the venues for planned upcoming gun shows (George R. Brown Convention Center, NRG Center and others) are being used to house people displaced by the flooding, there won't be any gun shows in our area for a few months.  My friend is planning to exhibit at the show in Round Rock, Texas this next weekend--about a two hour drive from Houston. I plan on making the drive there as my daughter and her husband live there.  It is a hardship to not being able to go to a gun show for over a month!

That is a summary of where the Houston is at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:27:39 AM by rdcinhou »

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
Is the water receding from NW Houston areas?
Do you still have power?

Everything in and around Tomball seems to be dry. Walked down to Cypress creek last night, it's in its banks but 10 to 12 feet higher than normal. Fortunately we never lost power. Set the A/C down to 72 (usually at 76) to help pull moisture out of the house. I expect the wood that got wet will be dry in a week or so. Our trailer and Armada stayed dry in the storage garage. My son went to check on the house and land near Bastrop, no damage at all.

A few critters in the garage, lots of spiders and bugs in the walls. Anyone that had water close to their home needs to be ready to treat for bugs and spiders. I have a friend that's a sales manager for a major pest control company, they're going to offer price breaks for water damaged homes. I treated the open areas with a Borax dust, 2 dogs in the house so I try to avoid toxic stuff, that seems to have done a lot of good. Found another Copperhead in the back yard. Caught it with a snake stick and dropped it back in a wooded area nearby.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2017, 12:25:22 AM »
Thank the Good Lord you guys came through OK. Now for the rest of the state.

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2017, 10:16:22 AM »
Thank the Good Lord you guys came through OK. Now for the rest of the state.

And also Florida, which has already begun evacuation
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
[Pending] CZ "SP-01 Compact" (SKU: 99021)
Sig Sauer P226 ASE
AR-15
Mossberg 500 Field/Security Combo

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2017, 05:46:20 AM »
Thank the Good Lord you guys came through OK.

Through Oklahoma ?  ::)
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?