Author Topic: Tips to make your forum experience better  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Tips to make your forum experience better
« on: August 29, 2017, 07:34:36 PM »
First off, this is the best forum I've found online. It is well run and moderated, with many members contributing enormous amounts of information and help.

In my time here I've watched some interactions take place  (with newbies, vets, and mods) that weren't shinning examples of who we generally are. This isn't for someone else, it's for each of us. Here's some tips to help improve our interactions here, within the firearms community, and all interpersonal relationships. This is tailored for those moments where a conversation could go south.

1) Everything starts and ends with you.
No, this doesn't mean it's up to you to be the dictatorial corrector of all wrong statements. It means that if a conversation goes south it's on you, even if "they started it"!

2) Check your ego.
When you feel someone came at you, or offended you, or whatever else, then you get mad and your ego is hurt. You can't believe that person wrote that! Stop, take a moment to chill, then seek context. While some comments can come across as rude, abrasive, offensive, and etc., that is rarely the intent. Remember, we are not each others' enemies. The goal of this community, and the firearms community, is improvement and support.

3) Seek context
Once your ego is cooled down. Kindly ask for clarification. Ask why that person said to do exactly the opposite of what you thought was right. They could have different experiences and knowledge that will only expand your knowledge. If they seemed to come at you personally, kindly let them know that it seemed as though their comment was aimed at you personally - as opposed to the content of the thread. Likely, they didn't mean it to come across that way. If they did? Then don't waste your time or emotions on holding grudges and being pissed. Let it go and keep getting after the reasons you're in the community. Stepping back is especially important for leaders. Don't get sucked into the moment and lose the bigger picture.

4) What is your end goal, your mission?
We all have our bad days and when you run into someone who is having one just move on. When you have one, apologize for any mistakes you made. Just own it! Is it worth getting into a confrontation? Is it in line with your objectives? It's weakness - and even a sign of insecurities - to lose your temper. It likely impedes you from accomplishing what you really want, and makes you look childish. If you make a mistake, say something that comes across wrong, or whatever else - own it and apologize for it. Even apologize for a misunderstanding, even if you didn't intend it to be a problem causing statement.  Then move on and focus on your real objectives.

There are more principles that can help, but these are just a few that would have prevented most issues I've seen here, and the majority I see in other forums or communities. Feel free to add you're own tips and suggestions.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:15:28 PM by Scarlett Pistol »
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline Tanners Owner

Re: Tips to make your forum experience better
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:21:51 PM »
Good topic, should be part of every other forum i frequent too.

A couple of adds-

- consider taking the conversation off line via pm to gain clarification as described above - no need to open a disagreement to anyone else to add their 2 cents worth. Often this can lead to quick cooling down. An example, on another forum a while ago, i commented about flakes whop agreed to buy but never showed or responded to my PMs/ emails when we agreed to a deal.  A gentlemen PM'd me to see if it was he who I was addressing- it was not and we cleared it up quickly and amicably.

- Just let it go. Life is too important to waste it with a forum argument - agree to disagree and move on.  Have had folks I viewed as knuckleheads post argumentative, arrogant comments in my thread. Isn't worth my time, energy, sanity to fight these fight.  Too many other things to get riled up about in real life.

Also agree- this is my favorite forum- good admin and members. Most understand the culture here
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 10:26:40 PM »
Scarlett Pistol, I liked your post.  If I chose a narrowed/focused reply, I would probably address the word "mission" or end mission.  I am a real military veteran but I don't want to speak about what I did.  Relative to my current mission in life, I pray for strength to be able to help people.  I choose not to advertise who I really am. 

The Guardian

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
should be required reading..........though I believe on this forum 99% already follow it pretty well  ;)   This is my third time as a CZ Forum member......just kinda keep finding my way back  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:43:32 PM by The Guardian »

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 11:03:39 PM »
Some of us need reminders regardless of our experience with firearms or talking with people.  I may teach safety at times but my concealed carry instructor told me that I need to be very careful.   

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 11:06:03 PM »
First off, this is the best forum I've found online. We'll run and moderated, with many members contributing enormous amounts of information and help

Can I add good grammar?  ;D ;D Just messing with you Scarlett :P Haha. I have a feeling you typed this up on your phone. It annoys me to no end when my phone keeps autocorrecting well to we'll.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 11:19:35 PM »
Thanks for the excellent comments and additions!

First off, this is the best forum I've found online. We'll run and moderated, with many members contributing enormous amounts of information and help

Can I add good grammar?  ;D ;D Just messing with you Scarlett Haha. I have a feeling you typed this up on your phone. It annoys me to no end when my phone keeps autocorrecting well to we'll.
Yeah... I typed on my phone while riding the train home. Just ran through and touched it up a little. Thanks SlvrDragon50!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:59:55 PM by Scarlett Pistol »

Offline cntrydawwwg

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 11:38:58 PM »
Yeah... I typed on my phone while rising the train home. Just ran through and touched I up a little. Thanks SlvrDragon50!

How the heck do you rise a train? Lol, I kid, I kid.
   Good write up. Agree completely. Don't always adhere to the list, (no ones perfect), but it is a good list to strive for.
If guns are outlawed.........
 Only outlaws will have guns.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 12:01:39 AM »
Yeah... I typed on my phone while rising the train home. Just ran through and touched I up a little. Thanks SlvrDragon50!

How the heck do you rise a train? Lol, I kid, I kid.
   Good write up. Agree completely. Don't always adhere to the list, (no ones perfect), but it is a good list to strive for.

You would hope I would quit for the day at this rate lol. Fixed those ones, triple proof read this response, and calling it a day.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 02:39:38 AM »
One of the most consistent mistakes I see made is the use of poor thread titles.  If someone wants to make their forum experience better, or wants to make the experience better for others, one thing that person should do is make sure the threads they start have titles that clearly indicate the content of the thread.

If someone is having a problem with light strikes,  that person should title the thread "Light strikes"  or "Primers aren't going off" -- SOMETHING that clearly indicates what the thread is about -- NOT something like "It won't stop happening" or "No boom boom for me".  When someone is vague or when someone tries to be cute or creative with a thread title, like they're composing a title to this week's episode of their favorite sitcom, they're doing a disservice to themselves and everyone else who uses the forums. 

Most people don't read every thread.  Most people look at thread titles and decide whether or not to read the thread.  If the conversation is worth having or you need help with a problem, and you compose a vague or cute thread title, there are inevitably people who could contribute or help but who are instead never opening the thread and moving on, which is hurting your own cause.  And in addition to hurting your own cause, if you do get help, you are making it more difficult for people who might have the same problem to make use of that help for themselves. 

Vague titles are lazy, cute titles are self-indulgent and annoying, and both make the forum less useful.   ;)  If you want to make your experience better, make your thread title specific and relevant.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:25:37 AM by IDescribe »

Offline painter

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »
I have one for you all.

Don't invite Grendel to ban you. ;)
I had the right to remain silent...

but not the ability.

Offline Mr. Waverly

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
If I may....

On some forums I've visited, there are self-appointed experts who take a condescending or intolerable view of those who are "less experienced."  As an educator, I have learned that not everyone is at the same level of expertise, not everyone knows what the "right" question to ask is or how to ask it - and not everyone has an impeccable grasp of grammar (and yes, there are typos that do sneak in).  Before taking someone to task for what is or isn't in their post, try to identify the root of their question or concern.  Then help them learn.

Good thread.  Thanks for starting it.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 07:37:27 PM »
Even more great additions. Thank you all and I hope we take these all to heart.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »
I have one for you all.

Don't invite Grendel to ban you. ;)

Wise words.

Most admin/moderator sanctions are self inflicted by the member who gets banned. Seldom are the behaviors or posts so egregious that a warning or gentle reminder is not the first step. This holds true for most, if not all, forums.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 08:49:03 PM »
I'm relatively new here but not to forums in general. I gotta say, I really like it here. I just picked up my first CZ (sp01 tax) on Sunday and already made arrangements to pick up my second one (the all steel sp01 railed compact). I need to wait 30 days since NJ makes you wait a month between handgun purchases!!

I'm getting addicted quite quickly...

Scarlett, I noticed you have one of these unicorns and may PM you with some questions  when I pick it up.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 08:50:49 PM by myczaccount »
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE
Smith & Wesson Shield Plus