Author Topic: RCBS Lockout Die and Hornady ERGO Lever  (Read 4580 times)

Offline SlvrDragon50

RCBS Lockout Die and Hornady ERGO Lever
« on: August 29, 2017, 08:18:03 PM »
Anyone else have an RCBS lockout die and ergo lever on their Hornady LnL?

I'm finding that the die does lockout, but it only locks out barely (maybe 1" of travel difference) which isn't really enough for me to notice it's locked out. Is my die set up incorrectly or is this just due to the adjusted ergonomics?

I think I might just abandon this lockout die since I don't really notice it, and I'd be better off setting up a camera for visual inspection. That way I can separate my taper and crimp step.

Offline Earl Keese

Re: RCBS Lockout Die and Hornady ERGO Lever
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 08:51:01 PM »
No lockout die, but I have an I.F. ergo lever and love it.

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 09:01:31 PM »
I have both the RCBS Lockout Die and an ergo handle on my LnL press.  If the lockout die isn't stopping the press on a case without powder, or a double charge, you don't have it adjusted correctly.

You can call RCBS for assistance.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 09:06:14 PM »
Sorry I misunderstood the intent of the question. Does the ergo lever provide too much leverage?

Offline SlvrDragon50

RCBS Lockout Die and Hornady ERGO Lever
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 09:19:56 PM »
It is stopping the press, but it is only stopping the lever about an inch before normal. Should I lower the die body more so it engages sooner?

The problem is with the ergo lever, I don't notice that inch difference during lockout. I'll take some pics to show.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:22:13 PM by SlvrDragon50 »

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »
I use RCBS LO die and Inline Fabrication short ergo handle. When correctly adjusted, die stops the press in the middle or about 40% of handle movement. Can not miss it and prevents shell plate from indexing.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 09:46:31 PM »
Got it. My die isn't set up properly then. How low is your die adjusted to the shell plate? I adjusted the lock out off of the press.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2017, 09:58:02 PM »
Not sure what measurements you are looking for, but die also adjusted off the press first and fine tuned on the press.
When empty shell plate (no brass) is in fully up position, it depresses the plastic tip of the die up about 3-4mm

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:05:20 PM by Boris_LA »

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 10:28:34 PM »
SlvrDragon50

I have to apologize for misinformation. Haven't had a press locked out for very long time and not sure where middle of the handle motion came from. Just went to measure the stop point with empty brass and found that lockout actually happens on the last couple of inches of handle swing. Still very noticeable though and shell-plate doesn't advance.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 10:31:32 PM by Boris_LA »

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 11:02:04 PM »
No problem. Pictures didn't work for me, but your description of die depth tells me that my die isn't low enough. I just adjusted it, and it seems to help a bit, but I guess my problem is that my resizing step requires so much force that it's easy for me to push down too hard, and I don't notice the lockout. I am lubing my cases, but maybe I'm not using enough?

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2017, 11:10:23 PM »
I resize/decap/sort as a separate step before tumbling. On the press the first die is belling/expanding die. I found it much better for consistency. The force without resizing is not too hard and allow for much smoother press operations. Since I mostly load same head-stamps/generation of the brass, any small changes in the handle pull force is clearly detected.
Are pictures fixed now?

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2017, 11:23:38 PM »
Yep! Works for me. I deprimed before I had a press, but now that I have a case feeder, I think I might just deprime and resize on my press now. I agree the force without resizing is much better better and gets me better powder drops too.

Do you use case lube when you resize? Normally I deprime, clean, then lube.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2017, 11:34:59 PM »
I don't always use the case lube for resizing on the separate single stage or turret press. but I collect my brass and most of the time use brass catcher indoor and outdoor. Its never too dirty.
When I have very large batch to process I occasionally use Lanolin/Alcohol mix, but if not allowed to dry completely I found some tumbling media stack inside the brass. Lately I just resize it dry. Some carbon residue left on the brass provide sufficient lubrication.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 06:52:17 AM »
I resize/decap/sort as a separate step before tumbling. On the press the first die is belling/expanding die. I found it much better for consistency.
I do this as well, makes a world of difference in ability to feel what's going on with the press. Much less force required.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 09:39:37 AM »
I think I may switch to this since this will allow me to seat and crimp on separate steps without losing a station.

Time to revisit my setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything