Author Topic: I finally got my first CZ - the SP-01 Tactical! Seeking basic upgrade info  (Read 11438 times)

Offline myczaccount

Hey guys so I finally did it! Got the SP-01 Tac over the weekend and it feels incredible. I'm in love! I've decided that before doing any major upgrades, I want to get about 1,000 rounds down in order to just familiarize myself.

However, from what I have read around, the most basic and simple upgrade is usually getting a lighter recoil spring and perhaps also a lighter main/hammer spring. I've decided to go with the 14# recoil and HS-15 hammer springs from CGW.

Some questions: how complicated is this? Will I need any special tools? I'm not a gunsmith but I'm a patient learner and did build an AR from scratch with the help of youtube. Are there any other super basic and relatively inexpensive upgrades I should also look out for at this stage? Thanks!
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE
Smith & Wesson Shield Plus

Offline Rnlinebacker

Good choices on the springs. The best mod you can do is polish the internals(trigger bar, sear cage, etc). It's free and will give you an appreciation on HOW the gun works internally.  Kneeling atlas has a great guide over in Brian Enos forum

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline myczaccount

Ya, so polishing is definitely something I'm interested in doing, but am also super intimidated by. I don't want to mess up a brand new SP-01 lol.

Do you mind posting the links to the threads you're referring to? Honestly, I'll take any resources I can, preferably video tutorials. Like I said, I am very patient and will watch them multiple times if need be. Thanks
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Offline Tok36

Gratz on your new CZ! May it treat you well.

As far as DIY on the SP-01 Tac, i believe that every owner must make their own decision on what they are prepared for within the DIY options. I feel that with the right research, preparation and mindset DIY tasks can be made more manageable and enjoyable. There is no doubt that the CZ decockers can be harder to work on or more fun depending on how you look at it. If you look around your may find people telling you how evil CZ decockers are, I have found that not being in a hurry to complete the work has allowed me to turn hard into fun most of the time.

One of the "evil"/"fun" parts of working on a CZ decocker. The sear cage disassembly/reassembly can be avoided by using the CGW slave pin. You also have the option of fabricating one, the specs are available.

S-pin Decocker Slave Pin
https://cajungunworks.com/product/s-pin/

Reviewing the available guides can help one decide what they are in for. Aside from a few small differences all of the CZ decokers are quite slimier inside. I have benefited from guides for decoker models other than the one i was working on.

-Forum guides
Disassembly and polishing CZ SP01 Tactical or phantom / cz 75BD / P01 *PIC HEAVY*
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=504172

CGW PRO upgrade project for P-01 (Pic heavy)

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=68279.0

-Videos
BEST SP-01 Tactical CGW Modifications Tutorial
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=70584.0;topicseen

Cajunizing and Smoothing a CZ Rami BD by tdogg
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=62123.msg410719#msg410719
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 03:22:50 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline myczaccount

Thanks for the links, Tok. I will read thru them all. Videos work best for me but I'll check the pic related ones, too.

Unfortunately, I have found that some of the older threads here have link to pics that no longer will display. Pretty annoying. But like I said, I'm sticking to real basics for now which, as I understand, include recoil and mainspring changes and maybe polishing if I muster the guts to do it!
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Offline Tok36

I very much agree with your approach, start slow, work your way up and do lots of research/ask questions.

The forums are still recovering from the Photobucket tragedy that went down a while back. It may be a while before we see some of that stuff updated if it ever happens at all.

I look forward to hearing about how it goes.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline RPN

I put a 85 combat trigger in mine and am pleased with it.

Also like adding VZ grips to my 75s.

Offline myczaccount

I very much agree with your approach, start slow, work your way up and do lots of research/ask questions.

The forums are still recovering from the Photobucket tragedy that went down a while back. It may be a while before we see some of that stuff updated if it ever happens at all.

I look forward to hearing about how it goes.

Thanks for helping me out so far! Yes as far as research, I'm extremely meticulous about not being ignorant. Before I built my AR, I watched hours of videos about which parts were most suitable for my needs. Then when it came to building, I watched videos before starting.

I need to be absolutely familiar with my guns before opening them up. As of now, I'm relatively comfortable with the idea of swapping the recoil and mainspring. But I'll need a lot more resources on polishing before I engage in that.
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Offline nickshawn

You can get the armorer's manual from the CZ site that will show you step-by-step how to disassemble and re-assemble everything.

I love my SP-01, full Cajun internals, polished up and with a 10x bushing. Amazing trigger and feel.

Offline myczaccount

You can get the armorer's manual from the CZ site that will show you step-by-step how to disassemble and re-assemble everything.

I love my SP-01, full Cajun internals, polished up and with a 10x bushing. Amazing trigger and feel.

Thanks, I will take a look
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Offline damo4570

Re: I finally got my first CZ - the SP-01 Tactical! Seeking basic upgrade info
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 11:31:56 PM »
I agree that Professor Atlas' tutorial is a good place to start for polishing.

http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/191773-cz-tuning-101-with-professor-atlas/

I just finished installing the Cajun Gun Works Pro Package on my SP 01 Tactical so my advice is to read everything. The sticky's from the Gunsmithing forum are extremely helpful. I just really took my time and didn't try to finish it in a day or even a weekend. I took it apart one day and then polished various parts over the next couple of weeks and then put it back together over the course of another week. There are a ton of great videos on Youtube and I used several of them at various times for different tasks.

Have fun with it and you will learn a lot!

Offline ttrashman1

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »
ABYSS1232 Has the best video on what your looking for  on U-Tube
cz75 sp01 Tactical 9mm
Springfield Range Officer 9mm
Sig 938

Offline myczaccount

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »

Thanks!
CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical
CZ 75 Pre B (1995)
CZ P-07
CZ P-10C
Sig Sauer P365 X Macro
Sig Sauer P226 ASE

Offline inspector1999

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »
I cheated, bought mine from CGW with all the goodies already done.  Seriously, good info shared on this thread.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline rich63

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »

I agree 100%. After watching his series on him upgrading his own SP-01 Tact convinced me to do my own. What I particularly like about his videos he explains everything in detail. I think he has 5 videos in his series. I have watched them in their entirety at least half a dozen times.

rich63