Author Topic: can CGW's E conversion work fix my 97B's Fail-to-feed problem?  (Read 750 times)

Offline microtough

I acquired an new 97B from a local individual recently. It's a beautiful gun, fun to shoot, and very accurate, well, when it works; it has feeding problem. The last round always fail to feed, and the first round FTF most of time.

I tried everything possible, polish the feed ramp, changed magazine spring, recoil spring, slide stop spring, of course one at a time, didn't work; also tried different brand of ammo, didn't work.

But I don't want to give up on this beauty. So my question is: if I send my 97B to CGW, will the E conversion work kill the fail to feed problem? Yes I know I can just simply give them a call, but I think they are usually very busy working on our guns and don't want to bother them if I could get some answers here.

Any advise will be highly appreciated.

Offline Earl Keese

Re: can CGW's E conversion work fix my 97B's Fail-to-feed problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 04:43:32 PM »
I wouldn't think so. What year was it manufactured?

Offline microtough

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 04:45:07 PM »
I wouldn't think so. What year was it manufactured?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 05:04:51 PM »
Thought maybe it was an older one with known feed issues. I don't have the full "E" conversion on mine, just the 1911 bushing and my own trigger work. I don't think the e conversion involves anything more than that though. I would definitely reach out to CGW directly.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 05:51:03 PM »
On the 1st rd FTF, do you try anything that makes it finally fire (other than cursing)? 

Does your loaded chamber indicator look like it is working properly and the screw tightened?  It should look like the one in the pic below.  Does the pin stick up on a loaded round in the chamber?  The LCI is an important part of the barrel lockup mechanism on a 97.

Yes, call CGW.

Here is a photo of my 97B"E" bullseye match gun, showing the LCI.  The set screw is on the left, the LCI peg is on the right.

Joe
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:15:12 PM by longgonedaddy »

Offline microtough

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 07:28:22 PM »
On the 1st rd FTF, do you try anything that makes it finally fire (other than cursing)? 

Does your loaded chamber indicator look like it is working properly and the screw tightened?  It should look like the one in the pic below.  Does the pin stick up on a loaded round in the chamber?  The LCI is an important part of the barrel lockup mechanism on a 97.

Yes, call CGW.

Here is a photo of my 97B"E" bullseye match gun, showing the LCI.  The set screw is on the left, the LCI peg is on the right.

Joe

For the first round jam, I just rack the slide and let it out, at most time it loads well from the second round, but some time it just never feed well.

Thanks for the LCI idea, definitely I will look into it and report back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 05:23:50 AM »
I would contact CZ-USA and explain the situation. The gun would normally be under warranty to the original purchaser which it appears you are not so I can't say what they may or may not do but it is certainly worth a call. The 97 is and has been a solid performer. Mine has never choked on a round yet,many thousands fired too.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 05:43:49 AM »
There are different types of failures to feed.  You should describe more specifically what is happening.  Or better yet -- post a picture of the failure.

Also, is this with one particular type of ammo only?

If it's more than one type, does one type do it worse than another?

What specific models of ammo have you used?

How many rounds does it have through it?

Offline microtough

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 01:42:01 PM »
Checked my LCI, the barrel stop screw is intact not loose, the indicator and it's spring are all sitting tight. But I still took the set screw out, put tiny drop of blue locktite, and drop it back tight.

Placed an order of two Mec-Gar mag, hopefully it's due to the mag failure.

I found a picture showing the jam, it's a nose-up. Doesn't matter which brand of ammo; this specific one is Winchester.

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 02:31:50 PM »
Hmm,
I would verify that chamber is clean and top of the chamber is free off machining marks and polished.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 03:13:01 PM »
I'd have a look at the extractor as well and be sure the round is able to slide into it smoothly.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 05:17:23 PM »
If you take the barrel out will a round very easily slip into the chamber and fit just like this?  Then, when you turn the barrel over will it very easily fall back out?

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:44 PM »
Maybe polish the breach face as well...

Offline microtough

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 01:59:18 AM »
If you take the barrel out will a round very easily slip into the chamber and fit just like this?  Then, when you turn the barrel over will it very easily fall back out?

I tried, the round slipped in fairly easy and fell out instantly when the barrel was turned over.

Offline microtough

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 02:01:53 AM »
Maybe polish the breach face as well...

The breach face has been polished. That's why I highly suspect it was my mag that caused the feeding problem. Mec-gar on its way, we will see