Author Topic: can CGW's E conversion work fix my 97B's Fail-to-feed problem?  (Read 749 times)

Offline Tok36

Re: can CGW's E conversion work fix my 97B's Fail-to-feed problem?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 03:57:11 AM »
I'd have a look at the extractor as well and be sure the round is able to slide into it smoothly.

^^This is what i was thinking as well.
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline Joe L

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 07:09:25 AM »
I've seen this caused by two things, a tight or rough extractor or extractor spring/movement is one cause.  Another is a little interference on the slide lock lever.  I would check the extractor action details first.  Remove the slide and the barrel and take a spent case and see if you can slide it up under the extractor smoothly from what would be the magazine position.  See if the extractor will move its full travel out away from the casing.  See if the case gets caught under the lower edge of the extractor when it first makes contact.  If the case moves smoothly up under the extractor and smoothly in to position on the breech face, it isn't the extractor. 

Trying a different magazine is a good idea.  Are the magazine lips centered in line with the bore looking down from the top?  Also check to see how the magazine is located in the frame.  Is it off to one side?  If so, why?  Something in the grip area interfering with the magazine?  Grips?

Next is to check for interference with the slide stop--although your photo indicates this may not be happening on yours, your comment about first and last round indicate it might be worth checking in to.  On my 97, the bullet ogive would touch the slide stop peg that the magazine follower pushes against.  When the bullet hits the peg as it moves forward out of the magazine, it gets directed off to the right, hitting the chamber off center, sometimes not getting forced back to the left in time to avoid a jam.  Didn't happen often but I could "feel" the feeding not being smooth.  All I did was take a dremel to the slide stop and remove enough material to minimize the redirection of the bullet as it fed in to the chamber.  On mine, problem solved.  Most 97 owners have not had to do this, so it may not be happening to yours, but if it is, its an easy fix.  Not a single failure to feed on mine since trimming it.  I'll post some photos. 

Before trimming, factory part

Modified part

If you remove the recoil spring, put a live round in the magazine, put the magazine in the gun, pull the slide back and catch the top round, move the slide very slowly forward by hand and watch the round move from the magazine up in to the chamber, you can see if and where the interference is.  On mine, the round got moved to the right before it got above the peg.  This will be worse with FMJ than with conical hollow points since the bullet it fatter at the point of contact with the slide stop. 

This worked for me.  And no trips to anyone else's shop. 

JOe

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 07:16:35 AM by Joe L »
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline Joe L

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 07:44:08 AM »
While looking for the photos above from a couple of years ago, I found evidence of what the "E" conversion is really helpful for...bullseye shooting.  This target is two 10 round targets, with me getting used to a new grip combination.  25 yards standing, single hand, 5 shots in 20 seconds, twice, per target score. 

My particular 97 is good for consistent 1" to 1-1/2" five shot groups at 50 yards from a wrist rest with the CGW bushing, using a red dot sight.  Good enough for me. 

The factory screw in bushing is pretty sloppy, some much worse than others, I'm told.  I've only seen one factory bushing and it was in a baggie with the other parts CGW removed from mine before sending me my new 97B"E".  I couldn't be happier with the pistol. 

Joe
CZ-75B 9mm and Kadet, 97B"E", two P-09's, P-07, P-10C

Offline microtough

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 11:12:06 AM »
Big THANKS to @Joe L! This weekend I will follow your instruction and take a close look at my 97B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk