Author Topic: First Venture in AK land  (Read 447 times)

Offline WVNed

First Venture in AK land
« on: September 01, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »
I ordered an Century RAS47 today. I already have piston and DI AR-15s and an AR-10s. I was looking for something new and fun to shoot and thought why not. If it falls apart it will give me something to do.
Buying stuff now is insane. You look and half say it's great and half say is stinks. I got it for $469 so it was cheap and I can change some stuff.
WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline Elcid

Re: First Venture in AK land
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 07:42:40 AM »
Here's mine.

Offline longgonedaddy

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 09:58:43 AM »
AK's are very fun to shoot.  The only thing I find hard to get used to is the shorter stock. It's like my face is right over the trigger.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 10:00:22 AM by longgonedaddy »

Offline skin

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 06:30:48 PM »
AK's are fun. I have a romak rifle and a pap 92 pistol. If you are willing to find the right load, it'll keep up with any other rifle in the same category. Shoot it and have a blast.

Offline sboone

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 06:52:11 PM »
I'm a regular over on the akfiles.  That RAS will most likely fall apart on you but will likely last more rounds than you plan to run through it.  It is exclusively a range toy quality rifle and should not bet your life on it.  You should look into one of the new WASR 10's.  The zastava NPAP M70's are also decent for the price.  Stay away for I.O rifles, RAS47's and C39's to avoid headaches (both metaphorical and literal when that bolt carrier hops the rails)

Offline WVNed

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 08:19:25 PM »
I'm a regular over on the akfiles.  That RAS will most likely fall apart on you but will likely last more rounds than you plan to run through it.  It is exclusively a range toy quality rifle and should not bet your life on it.  You should look into one of the new WASR 10's.  The zastava NPAP M70's are also decent for the price.  Stay away for I.O rifles, RAS47's and C39's to avoid headaches (both metaphorical and literal when that bolt carrier hops the rails)

Kind of what I am counting on. I can always get another if the bug bites me. I have reached an age where all the tactical has wore off or out and it will be a range only gun. I will check out that forum, thanks.

My go to rifle is an AR made from BCM parts on a Ruger lower.
WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline sboone

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2017, 11:06:52 PM »

Kind of what I am counting on. I can always get another if the bug bites me. I have reached an age where all the tactical has wore off or out and it will be a range only gun. I will check out that forum, thanks.

My go to rifle is an AR made from BCM parts on a Ruger lower.

AK's are great guns to get away from "tactical" and really re-learn the basics.  Getting proficient with irons,  muscle memory and control...etc.  they are also good if you like projects, getting stock sets and refinishing them to get different desires looks like sun burst and Russian reds.

Do yourself a favor and maybe don't start out over on the files with a "hey guys I'm new and bought a RAS47". Unless you like a little fun poked your way haha.

Offline copemech

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 12:51:14 AM »
So what is wrong with a RAS47? An American made AK is not good enough? I mean, they make them things all over the world, so what is a person to do?  ???

Offline WVNed

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 06:36:22 AM »
It appears the AK crowd is much like the AR crowd.

I have 2 DPMS rifles "GASP". A 3G2 and a Recon 308. They have shot perfectly for years. If they dont I fix them.  To be honest the only thing Ive had to fix was an extractor on an Aero Precision bolt for a 20 inch upper I run on the DPMS lower. I also had to mount an adjustable gas block on it.

WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline sboone

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 09:08:56 AM »
So what is wrong with a RAS47? An American made AK is not good enough? I mean, they make them things all over the world, so what is a person to do?  ???

The RAS47 specifically has developed a reputation for out of spec receivers which leads to a number of problems, they are using cast parts, which is not a problem except century is doing it cheap and doing it on parts that absorb a lot of energy like the front trunnion, so they crack prematurely and now your gun is dead in the water.  The bolt carriers hop the receiver rails and tries to fly out the back of the gun.  I've heard this happen 2nd hand once, every other time has been internet reviews so take it for what it's worth.  I.O. Rifles are basically the same thing.

An American made AK is not and never will be considered a fighting gun guaranteed, we just can't build them right or build them to spec.  Don't know why.  The C39V2 has apparently had a pretty OK track record but generally for the price you pay for any of these you can get a WASR 10 or an NPAP.  The WASR 10 is a factory made AKM that is built and used in a standing foreign Armory and runs like a bat out of hell.  They are just good guns and at $530 there is no reason to pick up a RAS when you can pick up a military pedigree rifle if the same family

Offline WVNed

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 02:30:43 PM »
and so it begins

WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline sboone

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 05:38:11 PM »
and so it begins

That looks like a milled receiver, are you sure that's not a C39?  RAS47 has stamped receiver

Offline WVNed

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2017, 06:14:34 PM »
After much reading I told them to keep the RAS47 and got a c39v2 MOE when I got there today.
WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline sboone

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »
It looks pretty good you took a step up for sure

Offline copemech

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 11:30:55 PM »
I guess it only costs a little more to go first class. I have looked at the C39 V2 as well and like it, although a tad heavier. I like the Magpul furniture but I have been in a maze on deciding what to buy, as I can change furniture on any of them.

I would just like one that works as advertised and is relatively accurate, which means a good barrel.

AR's are cheap right now. I don't know why the AK platform ic costing more, but it seems that way.

anything