Author Topic: How can a powder produce "Flyers"  (Read 750 times)

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: How can a powder produce "Flyers"
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »
Along with amount of powder, and ability to ignite the powder, I would think variations in cartridge case volume would be a very big contributor. Much more significant that crimp.
Yes, but this can be reduced by using sorted brass of similar origin and age/usage. This will result a more consistent crimp as well.
Not talking about "mixed brass". What I meant to convey was that the manufacturing process means that not all brass is identical, even though it might bear the same head stamp. Yes, the variations are smaller using the same brand, but not eliminated.
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline DeltaGray

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
I understand that not all brass with same brand head stamp are the same.  There can be differences. I understand summary statistics and case prep (even for TNT (tight neck turkey) for rifle tight chambers as for bench rest)).

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 02:41:25 PM »
Along with amount of powder, and ability to ignite the powder, I would think variations in cartridge case volume would be a very big contributor. Much more significant that crimp.
Yes, but this can be reduced by using sorted brass of similar origin and age/usage. This will result a more consistent crimp as well.
Not talking about "mixed brass". What I meant to convey was that the manufacturing process means that not all brass is identical, even though it might bear the same head stamp. Yes, the variations are smaller using the same brand, but not eliminated.
I agree and didn't use word "eliminated". I used word "reduced".

anything