Author Topic: Shadow 2 vs TSO recoil  (Read 358 times)

Offline coolbox

Shadow 2 vs TSO recoil
« on: September 05, 2017, 10:35:37 AM »
Hi
I have to decide between the two. I need to know, in shooting 9mm factory loads, which one of these would have less perceived recoil?
While the S2 is lighter than TSO, the slide weight (moving mass) is less, would that mean less felt recoil?

I shoot single hand precision (slow fire, bulls eye), and am currently using a Long Slide Sp01 Shadow (CTS with SP01 frame).

The TSO wins in weight and barrel length (sight radius), but being heavier, not sure how much better it is for single hand shooting.

Life is too short to waste on a bad trigger pull

Offline NMhvactech

Re: Shadow 2 vs TSO recoil
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 02:31:10 PM »
I shoot a TSO 40 for uspsa limited, and I don't own a S2, but reading the specs there's only 1oz difference in weight. The TSO barrel is about 3/8 longer and comes from the factory with a super nice 1lb-12oz trigger. The S2 was completely designed for uspsa production division. I would go with the TSO.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
For bullseye I would go with the TSO since it'll have a better trigger as well. Recoil isn't really an issue with either of them.

I don't know how long you will be holding up the gun though?

Offline coolbox

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 04:57:19 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.
I will need a trigger weight of over 2.2 lbs, which cancels out the advantage of the TSO. I will have to do a double sear spring mod, which I have earlier done on two of my ex TS's.

Precision matches are mostly 5 shots in 5 minutes, and 4 strings of this, total 20 shots. Plus 5 sighters before the scoring series, so 25 shots in all. Usually I am dome in about 2.5 to 3 minutes for 5 shots. Single hand hold.

Then there are rapid fire matches, where one has to get through with 5 shots in 10 sec, single hand hold again.

The 1 oz weight doesnt seem much difference really, but center of gravity of TSO being further ahead would make it seem a tad heavier perhaps. Its like splititng hair though, I think.

Since I can afford only one for the time being, hence interested in getting the better option here. Using factory loads, Sellior & Bellot 124 gr, or a slightly more stout factory ammo, recoil in single hand does announce itself a bit. Softer shooting pistol wins..

Offline tdogg

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 08:10:02 PM »
Well I have quite a few CZ's and none of them compare to the accuracy of the TSO.  The frame to slide fit is really tight.  It really feels like I'm cheating with it in USPSA.

My TSO had a 2.2 lb trigger pull stock.  Chronicled here:  http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=86250.msg645137#msg645137

The other option to increase the trigger pull is the increase the trigger bar upward force a little.

I'd opt for the TSO for Bullseye.

Cheers,
Toby

Offline coolbox

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 12:38:44 AM »
Thank you Toby.
I have seen your report on the trigger weights. Its good work.
I have a tanfoglio sear spring in spare, but importantly, I have done the double sear spring mod on 3 pistols. It increases the trigger pull weight by about 1 lb (measure at the geometrical middle (approx) of trigger), and it still stays as crisp as ever. The reset is very positive. One only needs to open up the sear internal opening to accommodate two springs instead of one, not very difficult at all. The resulting trigger weight is about 3 lbs in the middle of trigger, which would, over time, downgrade to 2.5 lbs. The break and reset would always be very crisp.
How is the grip of TSO compared to a standard TS, CZ75 or SP01 Shadow?

Offline tdogg

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 12:57:04 AM »
I'd guess that the TSO is more inline with the Shadow 2 ergo's (haven't held a shadow 2).  It's not as large (girth) as the 97 series and not all that different than a SP01.  The trigger guard is more open than a 75/97.  The natural point of aim is spot on and is easy to accurately shoot (as with most CZ's).  The main difference is in the overall weight/muzzle weight, it is a tad bit heavier than a standard SP01 but so is the shadow 2.  I noticed the weight when I first handled the TSO but have since forgotten how heavy the TSO is relative to other pistols.

I've got large hands so take that into consideration when i say they feel similar.  I removed the slide stop to declutter the left side of the gun.  Without it, it is much easier to get a proper freestyle grip with the gas pedal and oversized CZ Custom safety.  Who needs a slide stop anyway?

I can't say how easy/hard it is to shoot in bullseye single handed?  While i have shot it singled handed for various classifiers it isn't something that I practice regularly.  With the natural point of aim and a red dot this thing would be unreal to shoot fast/accurately!

Cheers,
Toby