Author Topic: Reaching out with handguns  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Scarlett Pistol

Reaching out with handguns
« on: September 06, 2017, 10:42:54 PM »
So last Saturday morning I went out to shoot longer ranges (for me). I took a steel plate that is about 12x18 to shoot at 100 yards. The place I went had an uphill slope, so the target was also about 40 vertically higher than me. I spent about 50 rounds of 9mm and about 25 rounds of 10mm at this plate at 100 yards. I was seeing where all my CZ's were here toting at that range.

First lesson, don't drink am energy drink and eat a granola bar for an early breakfast before shooting distance. Not conducive to steady hands. Beyond that I figured out my POA for all my pistols at that distance and incline. Got some hits too. This was standing 2 hands, not rested.

For comparison of scale. At 21 ft the target would be about 0.84" x 1.24" in size. Pictures would distort how it looks at the range. Anyway, my results are stellar yet, but I'm improving and focusing on fundamentals. I was pleased that my misses were all pretty close to the target, so I'm moving in the right direction.

PS the odd angle hits are because it tipped over. The hill is more like a mountain, so yes, it was still safe.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline MadDuner

Re: Reaching out with handguns
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 11:02:22 PM »
I've found that repeatedly aiming and shooting at targets at 100 yds with a handgun - makes shooting same handgun at 7, 10, 15 yds a breeze!

When we shoot in the desert, we usually have a milkjug challenge - to decide who buys lunch.  We set a milk jug at 100 yds and then shoot at it, 1 shot per person at a time.  The least experienced person in the group goes first, followed by the next on down the line of shooters in our little group. 1 single shot at a time per each until it gets hit. Everyone in the group is getting better that's for sure!  That milk jug seems to get bigger or closer every week!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:36:56 AM »
My son and I did somewhat similar at the end of our range trips,  5 Shotgun hulls on the 27 yard berm ...5 shots. 
Some days we felt like Wyatt Earp and others felt like Elmer Fudd.    I still do this now many years later.  It shows poor trigger control fast. ::)       
https://media.giphy.com/media/FA5oBWyTPvAaI/giphy.gif[/ftp]

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 12:41:44 AM by 1SOW »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 01:44:05 AM »
Those are some fun ideas!

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 12:51:24 PM »
I've found that repeatedly aiming and shooting at targets at 100 yds with a handgun - makes shooting same handgun at 7, 10, 15 yds a breeze!

When we shoot in the desert, we usually have a milkjug challenge - to decide who buys lunch.  We set a milk jug at 100 yds and then shoot at it, 1 shot per person at a time.  The least experienced person in the group goes first, followed by the next on down the line of shooters in our little group. 1 single shot at a time per each until it gets hit. Everyone in the group is getting better that's for sure!  That milk jug seems to get bigger or closer every week!

Hah. I struggle at 25 yards. I'd probably feel so demoralized after shooting 100 yds that hitting anything would make me feel good :P

Offline tattooo

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 01:55:16 PM »

Hah. I struggle at 25 yards. I'd probably feel so demoralized after shooting 100 yds that hitting anything would make me feel good
I agree....100 is tough with a handgun....lol

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 06:27:54 PM »
It's more of a practice in mental focus and clarity. But notice there are maybe 12 hits on the Steel... I started pushing to 15 yards, then 20 and then 25. Then I went outdoors and shot at steel and realized I was having fun trying and learning out around 85 yards. So I'm pushing further. There's so much Brian Enos zen in shooting to see sights, call shots, and not let the kind focus on the boom after the trigger break. I'm a newbie compared to the pros on here and the BE forum.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 09:04:12 PM »
You've just got to figure out how much front sight to hold up above the top of the rear sight.

And then shoot small groups.

If you can shoot small groups at 25 yds. you've got to the same things at longer ranges - plus get that front sight up there the right amount.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 03:44:06 AM »
I hit TUB at 125 yards the other day with the P-10C. Once. I tried again and missed everything. Quit while I was behind. :)

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 02:12:26 PM »
The problem with me is if I'm missing the target, I have no clue if I'm hitting high or low, and I'm just wasting money at that point.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 04:18:56 PM »
With 9mm at 100 yards you initially could plan on shooting 9" +/- low for a mostly level shot.  A 9" pie plate is a reference.  My 22lr  rifle trajectory was close to the same.
One member here was successful at longer distances with his CZ by putting a piece of tape across the top of the slide behind the front sight.  He brought the line formed by the tape UP to be level with the top of the rear sight.  "He made that work with videos showing successful results".  Pretty ingenious.

Offline WVNed

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 08:24:19 PM »
I have taken to shooting clay pigeons at 50 yards with my P-09.  100 yard shots on a 2 liter pop bottle are not difficult with a 6 inch .357 mag Ruger GP100. I shot the C39V2 today and it was great but the trigger is strange.
WHAHOOOoooooooooo

Offline Winn

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 12:02:31 AM »

Set this up at 100 yds. I could only hit it with my CZ 40 tactical spot and a Kimber 1911 team USA 45acp. At the time my SP01 was stock  and was all over the place. Since then I made it a single action with other parts I think it would be able to get close now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk