Author Topic: How to prevent rust CZ527M in 7.62x39?  (Read 671 times)

Offline Enzo

How to prevent rust CZ527M in 7.62x39?
« on: September 07, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »
Question for you all. How can I prevent to rust barrel of CZ527M?
I have a CZ527M carbine in 7.62x39. Nice and fun gun for me. But its barrel likes to rust. I almost need to clean it everyday because dampy weather.
Please share your ways :(

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Re: How to prevent rust CZ527M in 7.62x39?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »
Do you shoot corrosive ammo in it?  If you do, you'll need to clean it with something that removed the left over salts that absorb moisture from the air and speed up rusting issues.

Very hot water works (probably don't want to take it out of the stock all the time though) and so does black powder solvents/cleaners.  I mostly use black powder barrel cleaning stuff (got it at Walmart and it's called Black Off) for my 5.45X39 AR15 after shooting the corrosive Russian surplus ammo.  I've used very hot water, too.  That works, but you've got to get that water out/off the metal and then re-oil all the metal surfaces as the hot water removed the oil from the pores of the steel.

Black powder is also corrosive so the same solvent that work for it work for more modern corrosive ammo.

For wiping the metal down after cleaning, if I used the black powder solvent/cleaning solution, I just use the same oil I use to lube the moving parts.  Either Mobil One (a synthetic car/truck engine oil) or a light machine oil like 3n1 oil.  I have an oily rag/cloth that I use over and over.  I just apply oil (when it needs it) and then thoroughly wipe down the metal parts.  You can look at it and tell what has oil on it and what doesn't after you wipe them down a couple times.

If I used hot water then I use a spray oil to make sure I get oil in all the nooks and crannies to keep it from rusting on me.  That's about the only thing I use Rem-Oil for.  That is another light oil but you can get it in an aerosol can.  Then I wipe off the excess with that same oily rag.  I use the rag till it wears a hole or two in it before throwing that one away and starting with a new one.

After I'm happy with the barrel cleanliness I run an oily patch through it (same patches I use for cleaning the barrel) so I get oil on the metal inside the barrel as well.

Let me show you a picture.  Found this piece of shotgun barrel in the attic a couple weeks ago.  I last handled it back in 1986 or 87 when I shortened the barrel on my 12 ga.  It had been wiped down with the oil rag before I put it away after it's last use.  I put some tape on it to help me mark the barrel for the hacksaw.  I held on to the barrel with my left hand and used the saw with my right hand.  Then I put the barrel up in the attic to save it due to the front sight.  It laid up there against the wall for at least 30 years.  The only rust on it was from where my hand contacted it while cutting it.

And that rust cleaned right off (just some surface rust that looked worse than it really was) with some 0000 steel wool and some light oil along with a little light rubbing of the oiled up steel wool on the rusty area.  Then I wiped it down with my oily rag and it shined like new again.

I live in central Virginia.  It's hot and humid in the summer and cold and damp in the winter. A light coat of oil on the metal surface works - as long as you don't handle it after wiping it with the oily rag.  But the corrosive ammo residue still has to be removed as it will rust under the oil if you don't remove it prior to wiping the metal down.

Good luck.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline 10-96

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »
If the rust is forming on the OUTSIDE of the barrel...

What I have found useful on my rifles and shotguns is plain old Johnson's Paste Wax in the yellow can.  There is another paste wax that supposedly museums and the like use, but I cannot remember the name of it at the moment.

I simply pull the metal out of the wood and rub the wax in with a red shop cloth, then use another one to buff out the wax after it's dried to a haze.  It's not a forever fix, but it lasts for a season or two depending on how much I tote the firearm around. 
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

Offline Ron M.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
Best stuff I've found is Corrosion-X. I use reel-X on all my salt water gear and have never had a problem. I treated my boat shotgun with gun-X and even after 2 weeks out on the ocean in the boat's storage locker not a speck of rust.

http://www.corrosionx.com/corrosionx-for-guns.html

Offline FrankW

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:38:46 PM »
Hi Enzo,

There are some really good products out there.  Here is a link that will help you make up your mind.  After studying the data I chose Hornaday One Shot.  Have been very satisfied with its performance. 

Frank

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

Offline slofyr

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »
....There is another paste wax that supposedly museums and the like use, but I cannot remember the name of it at the moment.

Renaissance wax.  Very good stuff for protecting metals from oxidation.  It makes them sparkle, too.

https://www.renaissancewaxes.com/

Offline 10-96

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 05:43:19 AM »
Renaissance wax.

Yep, that was the stuff I couldn't remember the name of.  I agree- it's great stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

anything