Author Topic: 40 to 9mm conversion?  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Dan-O

40 to 9mm conversion?
« on: September 07, 2017, 03:52:24 PM »
Is there a way to convert a p-09 in .40 down to 9mm?

Kinda holding off on getting a p-10c in 9. Out of the question for the possibility in the near future to convert a .40 p-10c to 9mm?

Sorry if this has been discussed before....fairly new to cz's.

Offline eastman

Re: 40 to 9mm conversion?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 09:55:06 PM »
Is there a way to convert a p-09 in .40 down to 9mm?

Kinda holding off on getting a p-10c in 9. Out of the question for the possibility in the near future to convert a .40 p-10c to 9mm?

Sorry if this has been discussed before....fairly new to cz's.

It is possible to convert a .40 P-09, but you need a complete upper (slide, barrel, recoil spring assembly) and a 9mm magazine to convert. The .40 and 9mm chambers have different outside dimensions, so the 9mm is a very loose fit in a .40 slide.

BTDTGTTS
(Been There, Done That, Got The T-Shirt)
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:56:08 AM »
As common as conversion barrels are to convert a .40 Glock to run 9mm, I don't imagine we'll ever see that in the CZ world.  I don't think that there's a big enough market to make it worthwhile for a barrel maker to do that.  In the Glock world, there are lots of police turn in .40s around to make a conversion more useful, but even then, the numbers of Glocks running conversion barrels is small.  Given the rarity of .40 CZs, especially the total lack of .40 P10Cs, I don't think we will ever get the conversion barrels built for CZs.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 09:37:26 AM »
Barsto, EFK Firedragon, and a few others used to make conversion barrels.  I've got a EFK 9mm barrel in a .40 Compact.

CZ's get confusing.  Some use the same diameter barrel for both 9mm and .40 (Shadows), some use different diameter barrels (75B's).  I believe that P07 and P09's have the same diameter barrel for 9 and .40, but you would be best to check with CZCustom or CGW. 

The other issue you will run into is that the sights relegated for one don't always work with the other.  This is why eastman recommended a complete changeover slide instead of just a barrel swap.  Along with sights, the extractor and breechface can also cause issues.  So you can get a complete slide to change everything over, but for another $100 or so you could just have a second gun.

Offline eastman

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 08:52:32 PM »
OK

I took the .40 and 9mm slides apart. The barrel diameter is the same (0.550") and the chamber dimensions are essentially the same with one exception. The "hood" (or whatever it is called) that extends from the back of the barrel above the chamber is 0.03" wider on the .40, so the 9mm barrel fits into the .40 slide with a little wobble, but the .40 does not fit into the 9mm at all. I had originally considered the wobble to be a lot worse than what I observed today.

Once the pistol is assembled and the slide stop is inserted, the wobble is no longer detected. It does feed snap caps fine (5 in the mag, cycled through 3 repetitions).
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Dan-O

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:14 AM »
Thanks for the responses.