Author Topic: CZ-75B SAO Upgrades  (Read 786 times)

Online Jptopdwn

CZ-75B SAO Upgrades
« on: September 08, 2017, 09:03:02 AM »
I am acquiring a CZ-75B SAO in a trade this evening.  My question is.......what are some good upgrades to improve the trigger.   I have been browsing Cajun's site but haven't seen anything specific to the SOA version.   Any advice would be appreciated! 

Offline Earl Keese

Re: CZ-75B SAO Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:47:28 AM »
All the normal 75 series polishing steps would apply. You can drop about a 1/2 lb in pull weight with a CGW RPTRS trigger return spring. Best improvement would come with a CGW hammer. You could also add one of their triggers that has a pre-travel screw, but to benefit from that you would have to consider deleting the firing pin block. I much prefer the flat blade trigger, but others like the factory style trigger with the pre-travel screw added.

Online Jptopdwn

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:40:55 PM »
Earl, thanks for the advice!

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 05:37:33 PM »
My son has a CZ 75 SA in 9MM.

We (first step) tore it down and did a lot of stoning/polishing on the original parts and saw a big improvement in the trigger pull/smoothness.

On the second step we added a CGW race hammer and adjustable sear, a reduced power trigger return spring, extended firing pin with lighter firing pin return spring and a lighter hammer spring.  I think trigger pull is down around 2&1/4 lbs. now and I can now feel the "stop" just before the hammer drops.  Prior to this last work I could sometimes feel it and sometimes not.  I really didn't feel good about it.  I like to feel that stop as I take it up unconsciously after the trigger/sear resets.  Oh, he also installed the straight trigger and CGW trigger pin.  Almost forgot about that.

He also wanted the firing pin block removed as it is to be a dedicated range pistol.

I converted an SP01 Compact to SAO a few weeks ago and left the firing pin safety intact (except for a lighter spring).  I had some issues, at first, with the trigger bar hanging up on the firing pin safety lifting arm but finally got it figured out and fixed (trigger had to be modified up inside the frame to allow more forward movement range) and my firing pin safety is intact and working.  Trigger pull on mine was 3.5 lbs. when I got done with it.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 06:40:28 PM »
Earl, thanks for the advice!
My pleasure, I'm sure some others will chime in. M1A4ME mentioned the floating trigger pin, I knew I was forgetting something. 😁

Offline Iggy913

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 07:16:26 PM »
I did a very similar build to M1A4ME, all CGW parts:

Reduced Power Trigger Return Spring
Extended Firing Pin w/spring
Race Hammer and adjustable sear
Lighter mainspring
Factory style flat blade Trigger w/pre and over travel screws

I also removed the Firing Pin Block as this is primarily a range weapon and I'm willing to assume the risk associated without the block.

With those parts I am 100% happy with the Trigger pull. With the FPB removed and the adjustable trigger you can dial it in perfectly to your liking. I've never shot a "top drawer" 1911 but I can't believe it's much better, if any than this.

I should also add I ended up getting some sights from CGW, the oversized barrel bushing, and some palm swell grips from Lok.

In the end I'd estimate I have $800-$900 in my 75 SAO, but I can't ask for a much better shooter. Call the guys at CGW and they'll set you straight too if you have questions, can't beat David and Scott for customer service.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
Iggy913, my youngest has several handguns, two are CZ's.  When we go to the range these days, he only takes the CZ 75 SA and his P07 (both 9MM).  He loads the P07, shoots a group, or two, and lays it on the bench/pad.  Then he picks up the CZ 75 SA and shoots it the rest of the range session.  If I bother him some, he'll shoot one or two of mine - one group each, then go back to his CZ 75 SA. 

He tells me that anything that shoots that good is just too much fun to leave on the bench while he shoots something else.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline nickshawn

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:15:15 PM »
I've been thinking about buying a full size SAO (or safety model and converting it to SAO) just because I enjoy shooting my steel framed compact that much. It has all the internals polished, FPB removed and all the CJW spring goodness. After 300 rounds pull is in the low 2# range.

Online Jptopdwn

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:22:56 PM »
I plan on taking my 75 SAO out for the first time this weekend......try it out and then put in an order with CGW!  Thanks for all the input!

Offline 24voltsdc

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »
I like the stock trigger just fine. It shoots extremely well so why change it.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 09:45:39 AM »
I converted a 75B .40 to SAO.  Here's what I did:

Removed Firing Pin Block and spring from the slide, put a spacer in the sear cage where the FPB lifter was
Installed CZCustom flat blade trigger with pre and overtravel adjustment
Installed CZCustom Competition Hammer (I have used both CGW and CZCustom hammers, both are of equal quality)
Installed CZCustom Extended firing pin and spring
Installed 11.5 lb mainspring
Installed CGW reduced trigger spring
Installed CGW floating trigger pin (one of the single most useful upgrades available if you detail strip regularly)
Standard 75B polish job

To me, it's about the prefect trigger.  Light, yet crisp with a short reset.  Better than many factory 1911's.

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 09:51:24 AM »
I like the stock trigger just fine. It shoots extremely well so why change it.

The stock trigger is fine, but you can't make a comparison between a stock and an upgraded trigger.

Just replacing the hammer makes a world of difference.  Both the CZCustom Competition Hammer and the CGW Race hammer remove the rearward camming of the hammer before the hammer drops.  It does so by changing the geometry of the hammer hooks and sear engagement.  This gives an instantly short, crisp trigger pull.

Yes, both triggers get the job done.  However, one is definitely more pleasurable to shoot.

Online Jptopdwn

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »
Thanks James.........I am ordering some CGW parts.    I have a P07 with a complete CGW kit in it and that pistol is phenomenal. 

Offline K3JB

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 12:12:59 AM »
Thanks for the info, I am a big fan of the 75B SAO.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline h8louzn

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 10:13:16 AM »
I converted my 75b to sao with parts from CGW did the flat trigger and all the springs. Removed the FPB as it is a range gun. I also don't recommend this for the first timers but I removed the edge of the hammer and sear some to get a clean break with out buying the hammer and sear. I will buy the hammer and sear for this gun later but for now the hammer does not cam back and the pull is 3.2 lbs. CGW will not steer you wrong give David a call...

anything