Author Topic: Paper vs 3d targets  (Read 269 times)

Offline Cbass

Paper vs 3d targets
« on: September 09, 2017, 08:14:03 AM »
When I try to get a group on paper with a handgun i'm all over the place. I grew up shooting cans and critters never tried getting groups on paper with a handgun untill recently. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best shot but I have no proplems hitting beer cans from 15yds just about every time and most of the time at 25yds.

I just wonder f it's a mental thing or just if I'm just able to focus better on  3d objects . My vision nots the best I'm blind in my right eye I wonder if that has something to do with it?

Online longgonedaddy

Re: Paper vs 3d targets
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 09:17:37 AM »
Hang the can directly in front of the paper target and see what the groups are like. :D

Online John A.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:21:36 AM »
I've been mostly shooting steel gongs and targets for a while now.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline Cbass

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:26:22 AM »
Hang the can directly in front of the paper target and see what the groups are like. :D
Haha good idea

Offline SSGN_Doc

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 12:32:54 PM »
The paper gives you a record of the misses.  Shooting at cans and other targets gives you feedback on the hits only.  It's harder to keep track mentally of the misses.

Offline Cbass

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »
maybe I am just all over the place . I usually realize when I flinch or jerk . but going by my groups on paper at 10 yards at 25yds I'd be missing cans by 2ft or 3ft and I'm not unless I flinch or just lose focus. 
 for instance I was shooting my new sp01 at a paper plate and out of 18 rnds a few in center  mostly scattered though. immediately after that. set up a paper coffee cup at around 15yds  and put almost every round through it. guess i just should practice some more.

Offline Cbass

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 09:15:37 AM »
Well I've figured out two things after another trip to the range. 1. I need glasses. 2. My groups shooting left handed are much much better than shooting right.
I've always felt I could shoot a little better lefty but Ialways practice with my right . Wich is my dominate hand.  I figured in a self defense situation it's going to be best to use my strong side.  Now I'm not sure if I should just go full lefty or what.  I already have to shoot a rifle left handed due to an eye injury.

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 10:36:57 AM »
Groups at 15-25 yards aren't easy. It sounds like you might have a cross dominance issue?

Glasses would certainly help though!

Offline Cbass

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 12:32:33 PM »
yes I'm mostly blind in my right eye.   but from what I've read it shouldn't be an issue to shoot a handgun crosseyed.
I was trying groups on paper at around 10yds .  when shooting lefty it actually looked like a group.  So I'm not sure what to do.  I'd really rather not carry left-handed but with enough practice I'm sure I could get used to it.

Offline t107

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 08:50:28 AM »
When I try to get a group on paper with a handgun i'm all over the place. I grew up shooting cans and critters never tried getting groups on paper with a handgun untill recently. I'll be the first to admit I'm not the best shot but I have no proplems hitting beer cans from 15yds just about every time and most of the time at 25yds.

I just wonder f it's a mental thing or just if I'm just able to focus better on  3d objects . My vision nots the best I'm blind in my right eye I wonder if that has something to do with it?

I agree on mental some what. When hunting deer or any game for that matter. I focus on a hair in vitals makes a better shot placement mostly every time. Thats when i bow hunted deer now i just plink steel. Maybe Focusing on a beer can is the same you pick a spot on the can.

anything