Author Topic: Soon to buy CZ 75...full size vs. compact??  (Read 731 times)

Offline revcain777

Soon to buy CZ 75...full size vs. compact??
« on: September 09, 2017, 08:23:44 PM »
Next gun show, or on Gunbroker, I plan to purchase a CZ 75.  I am trying to decide full size or compact.  Full size obviously has 4 more bullets.  Is the compact version better for conceal carry?  What are other experienced advice on the compact?

Thanks!

Offline Tanners Owner

Re: Soon to buy CZ 75...full size vs. compact??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 09:39:02 PM »
Depends on use. If primarily carry, then the compact may be the better choice. If for house or range use, the full size may be better.

I say maybe, as it depends on what "fits" you and your needs best, what may fit your future needs.

Myself- I'm very happy w/ my P01 Omega and P09
Like a midget at a urinal, I'll have to keep on my toes

Offline viking499

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 09:42:32 PM »
Compact for carry.  Other, full-size.

Depending on which model of full-size you are looking at, it will either be 16 or 18 rounds.  Most are 16's.

Offline Genin

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 09:58:48 PM »
I use my P-01 for carry and my SP-01 for home defense duty. The SP-01 is my favorite pistol I've ever owned if that makes a difference for you.

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »
Full size generally allows for tighter groups at the range because of longer sight radius -- more precise allignment with eye and front sight relative to target.  Also, generally heavier, recoil can be less.  That said, the compact CZs aren't slouches by any means in the accuracy department!  Finally, if you are not the most recoil sensitive type of guy, then 9mm in an Al alloy frame won't hurt whatsoever.

All that to preface my real suggestion:  get a full size and a compact, in which the compact can share full size mags that you'll stock up on.

CZ75B, CZ85B, or SP01 for the full size combined with CZ75B Compact (steel frame), or Al frame Compact D (PCR or P01) would be fantastic stable mates that you even swap slides to see if you are a Semicompact kind of a guy.

Pray on it, Rev!  I'm sure clarity will come. O0 8)

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »
I'm not actually convinced there is much difference between the two, at least in my experience based on owning and shooting an SP-01 and the compact version thereof (99021).

Yes, one has a slightly longer sight radius and weighs a tad more than the other, which in theory makes a difference on potential accuracy and carry-ability.  But in practice, I can scarcely detect any difference.  In fact, I think I am slightly more accurate with my compact than I am with the full size.  But it could just be the difference between the 2 specific guns, or the barometric pressure, or something else.

Compact or full size, both CZ's are great.
If it's popular, I'm against it.

Offline SI_Pop

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 02:00:47 AM »
Around my area, I just buy whatever CZ pistol I can find in stock! I have both full size and compact models, and it's hard to say which I really prefer. I think a PCR (alloy, decock) or classic steel compact (manual safety) would be easiest to conceal, but I really like the railed models for range time because I like the recoil impulse a bit better. Good luck with your search!
1) Cajunized CZ 75 Pre B
2) Soon to be Cajunized SP-01c
3) SP-01 Shadow

Offline olfarhors

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 12:42:22 PM »
In my particular case I have a P-01 and a SP-01 tactical, accuracy is nearly identical out to about 20 yards or so and not a lot of difference  even out to 25-30 for me.
I carry the P-01, first its an alloy weapon and a good bit lighter, its also shorter and I find it easier to carry / conceal myself. 
I have the choice but if I only had one then I would carry which ever one that I had, lots of weight/size difference between the 2 however.

Offline Indy_Tim

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 01:59:42 PM »
A lot of the compacts can run the full size mags and if you use an SP01 mag base plate (sold in that config by Greg Cote), you get the best of both worlds.  You can carry with 14+1 for easier concealment, but for home defense, can use the 16+1 mags that fit the grip perfectly.  Get an SP01 Compact (75B Compact with a rail) and you've got a gun that will do just about everything you could hope for.  The rail lets you mount a light for HD and with the extended mags and SP01 base plates, it makes a very credible HD gun.  Then, if you want to carry, pop a standard mag in and you're good to go.

The best all around pistol CZ makes in my opinion is the P01.  It's an alloy framed railed compact that has a decocker.  Great for just about any need.  Get an Omega P01 and you can choose between the decocker and safety.

Offline sirgilligan

• Gun Log SPC
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 07:56:19 PM »
I have the compact and two full size models. My son-in-law has the compact, my son has a full size.
I shoot them all basically the same, but with a slight edge to my son-in-law's compact. Why? Not sure, maybe the trigger is better but I don't notice it.

As for capacity, the compact can take the full size magazines when you want.

I found it harder to find compact models over full-size models, so if you come across a compact I would go for it as it will be easier to get a full size later, and you will get more later. :-)
SirGilligan
iOS Apps: BallisticsGL Gun Log Gun Log SPC

Offline eastman

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 08:21:34 PM »
Based on the manufacturing differences, the aluminum framed pistols (P-01, PCR and RAMI) are in shorter supply than the steel frame 75s.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline h8louzn

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 09:26:46 PM »
I have a 75b, pcr,p-01,and rami. Out to 20-25  yards hard to tell the difference. Somewhat hard to find all but the 75b  but they will all serve you well.. I also have a tristar p 120 and had a c-100. Those will also serve you well as I had 500 rounds thru the C-100 and never a ftf or fte. Good luck on your way to the poor house!!  O0

Offline KME

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 10:24:02 AM »
If you can only have one CZ I would recommend the P-01. The P-01 is the most versatile of the CZ 75s. If your checklist includes;

1) Accurate - under 20 yards I shoot this as accurately as my SP-01
2) Light - Alloy frame so at 28 oz it is 5 oz lighter than a compact and 7 oz lighter than a 75 B
3) Decocker - my preference is a decocker over a manual safety but YMMV
4) Concealment - an inch shorter than a 75 B in length
5) Rail - for home defense many folks view a light as indispensable
6) CGW - like any full size 75, all compacts can be Cajunized

All of the above in exchange for a slightly reduced capacity, 14 rounds versus 16 for a 75 B.

Having said all of the above, my favorite CZ is my D PCR. All of the benefits of the P-01 without the dust cover/Tac Rail. I prefer the look and the balance of the PCR over the P-01 and the full size 75s I own (SP-01 and BD). If I want to mount a light I would put it on my SP-01.

Offline RPN

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 10:49:46 AM »
These posts are shocking...there is one clear answer- get both!  O0

Online MadDuner

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 11:18:33 AM »
These posts are shocking...there is one clear answer- get both!  O0

But of course!

anything