Author Topic: Anyone with experience on the EAA Tanfoglio Witness Compact, steel 45 ACP?  (Read 5682 times)

Offline bunk22

My LGS had one today, slightly used, with the "Wonder" finish. This grey type color is one of my favorite color's on guns so its looks drew me to it. Great ergo's for my hand, standard CZ fit and the trigger was also standard CZ DA/SA, so it was very good. I am liking this gun quite a bit. Not a whole lot on the net so wondering if anyone had any experience. Here is a pic of it...

CZ P10C
Glock's, Sig's, HK's, Walther's, etc, etc
DD, Sig, SOLGW, Colt, Del-Ton, etc, etc

skin

Re: Anyone with experience on the EAA Tanfoglio Witness Compact, steel 45 ACP?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 10:19:01 PM »
 Love it ! Don't like the front sight. Expensive to change. Wonderfully accurate  (pun intended ). Bought a 10mm top end for it.

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 11:38:08 PM »
That is a good looking little gun! I would love to be able to hold one to see how it fits my hand. My last EDC was a 10 round double stack and it just didn't fit my hand. The grip angle may have been a little awkward, too. I bought my P100 and haven't had any regrets. Even though I love it, and it carries easily, that 15 round double stack sometimes can be a little obtrusive. The Witness in 9mm goes with a 12 round mag. If it fits my my hand OK, it might just be a little more concealable.
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American - Congressman Tenche Coxe, 1788

Offline cstellabott

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »
I had one but the grip was just too short for me hand, had my pinky out there dangling.  thought I'd make it work, but it was just too uncomfortable. Loved the gun, the weight made the recoil feel like I was shooting a 9mm. Loved it so much I got the f/s one instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bunk22

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 12:13:21 PM »
My pic doesn't do the gun justice, it is in great shape and I'm surprised how well it fit my hand as I have large hands.  Would be a great 45 carry IMO.  I read the Wonder finish holds up nicely as well.
CZ P10C

Offline whitecap

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 12:37:09 PM »
While I don't have the 45 ACP I do have the 9mm. You have not mentioned a price so It's hard to determine if it's a "deal". The gun is heavy and will absorb recoil well which is good for the 45. Grips are easy to change. Springs are available from other sources as are mags. The non changeable front sight is the biggest complaint with the non match grade EAA's. If it fits your hand well and you think the price is right, it works for you.

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 12:42:44 PM »
I had one but the grip was just too short for me hand, had my pinky out there dangling.  thought I'd make it work, but it was just too uncomfortable. Loved the gun, the <snip> weight made the recoil feel like I was shooting a 9mm. Loved it so much I got the f/s one instead.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK... That's what I needed to know. Even with a pinky extender, my other gun muzzle dipped in my hand when I fired. While the extender helped, the heel of the butt never was comfortable in the heel of my hand. If I took my time, and cosnciously coordinated my shot, I could avoid this, but that is not optimal for an EDC
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American - Congressman Tenche Coxe, 1788

Offline bunk22

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 04:29:30 PM »
The gun is in the $300 range, high 300, about $385 out the door.  Price doesn't concern me too much, as long as it isn't priced as new.  I love CZ ergo's and this gun has it done perfectly.  I like the weight, specifically for the 45.
CZ P10C

Offline bunk22

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 10:21:19 AM »
I've read some issues with this gun shooting JHP.....any truth to that?
CZ P10C

Offline whitecap

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 02:12:11 PM »
JHP have the potential to be problematic in any pistol. You will need to experiment with different brands to see which function the best and have the fewest malfunctions. I will be a somewhat costly experiment but there is no way around that. It's only a 1 time thing.

Offline Bret

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 10:48:04 AM »
Here's mine.  It's the same gun, but in 9mm.  It's nice, but heavy for concealed carry in my opinion.

I think that the one you're looking at is priced right for one in excellent condition.  They typically go for about $100 more than that new, but supply of the various versions of EAA Witness pistols is feast or famine.   

Though they don't look as nice, the compact Witness pistols with plastic frames are much lighter carry options.  Do a search on GunBroker for "witness compact" and you'll see quite a few options.  These can be had in the low $300 range new. 

Offline E39

Anyone with experience on the EAA Tanfoglio Witness Compact, steel 45 ACP?
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 08:51:36 PM »
I have one exactly like it. Very nice gun. I bought Copper Gun Grips (https://coppergungrips.com/Witness_Grips.php) because I didn't like the plastic that came with it. I did buy rubber grips from EAA but the grips from Copper are really nice. I shoot Federal HST2 230gr .45 ammo as my defensive round. Have never had an issue with it or target/ball ammo. I did have new springs from Hennings Shop which greatly improved the trigger. The rear sight that comes with the Hennings kit also fixed the issue with the gun shooting low. Conceals very well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 08:54:51 PM by E39 »

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
Just wondering if CZ P-06 holsters would work with this Compact? I doubt CZ will produce a compact 45 in steel or alloy, so this will likely fit my needs. Thanks!
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb

Offline DF_Hammack

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2017, 02:26:02 AM »
Just wondering if CZ P-06 holsters would work with this Compact? I doubt CZ will produce a compact 45 in steel or alloy, so this will likely fit my needs. Thanks!

I can't say about that holster, but if you are looking for a good holster, the German Police surplus P6 holsters are an excellent fit. They are quality holsters, and come in a variety of styles, including concealment, for usually less than $15.
Tristar P100 - SAR B6P

Offline ZardozCZ

• Recently returned to shooting and loving it!
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 08:41:24 AM »

I can't say about that holster, but if you are looking for a good holster, the German Police surplus P6 holsters are an excellent fit. They are quality holsters, and come in a variety of styles, including concealment, for usually less than $15.

Any links or known sources? Thanks.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
Aboriginal Proverb