Author Topic: Could use some SP-01 sight advice, irons or optics?  (Read 1804 times)

Offline RegionRat

Could use some SP-01 sight advice, irons or optics?
« on: September 10, 2017, 05:09:54 PM »
I am ready to send in a new SP-01 and could use some advice from the forum.

I have been isolated from the clubs and pistol shooting by work travel for many years, and just starting back up. I noticed how much difficulty I have seeing the sights as I have grown older, and have started really paying attention to better sights and optics lately.

I picked up a custom Glock that has co-witnessed Trijicon Sights and RMR sight and really like the system.

I also picked up a Sig P320 FS RX and like that too.

I can see the CZ 75 SP-01 slide doesn't have an obvious way to get a slide cut that allows a rear co-witness iron sight. (Maybe the DeltaPoint Pro?)

I am willing to try and go with upgraded iron sights for now, but was wondering if anyone has managed to use something like a DeltaPoint Pro with the rear iron sight inserted to be able to do something co-witnessed on a SP-01? Is there a front sight blade that makes this work if the GCW shop cuts the slide to mount direct to keep the sight low enough?

I can't dig enough information out to estimate how high that would sit or if a front sight exists to make a good combination for a co-witnessed system for those of us in our 50's that have a hard time with irons?

I can do bullseye work by wearing a Merit Aperture on my safety glasses, but wonder how well I would do with IDPA or speed work using no sight aids. Since this is my first SP-01, it will be a Range gun so any sight system can work. Would the forum advise I go with good irons on the first one?

All opinions and advice welcomed, and thanks in advance.

Offline copemech

Re: Could use some SP-01 sight advice, irons or optics?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 01:04:17 AM »
I have come to really like a fiber optic front and a black rear. You should try that. It is good and quick!

Offline mariachi

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:00:35 PM »
let me echo copemech. an adjustable rear sight
would be a nice luxury.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 10:06:57 PM »
If you are going to shoot competition, send your slide to CZC and get the multi-cut. For get the  co-witness sights they just slow you down.  You will have to do some dry firing to build your muscle memory to find the dot on the draw. This is what CZC did for me in 2013.

Offline smashworth

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:41:29 AM »
If you are going to shoot competition, send your slide to CZC and get the multi-cut. For get the  co-witness sights they just slow you down.  You will have to do some dry firing to build your muscle memory to find the dot on the draw. This is what CZC did for me in 2013.

How practical is this set up for those that don't shoot comps?

Offline Bossgobbler

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:22:12 PM »
Red dot are easier to shoot more accurately.  Just put the dot on the target and pull the trigger.  If you do your part you will hit what you were looking at.  With red dots you look at the target not the sights.

Offline RegionRat

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 10:33:44 PM »
That's a nice looking rig that Bossgobler posted! It has really clean lines.

Looks like there was some work done at the bushing too.

I hear what folks are saying. I think I will go ahead and run the irons on this first rig and order another one. I'll have that second one cut for the optics and by then I will try and visit at some local matches to see if anyone else is running optics and have a look at their's.

CGW sent me the email to launch my rig to start work, so I will have to spec out the work order when I get home.