Author Topic: New barrel won't return to battery  (Read 1271 times)

Offline fastlane604

New barrel won't return to battery
« on: September 10, 2017, 05:15:43 PM »
I have an SP-01 with the CGW 10x bushing. I am installing a new barrel. No problems with the old barrel and the bushing. I just need the old barrel on my 75 SA due to the SA's original barrel being rendered inoperable by this poster.  The old SP-01 barrel shoots very well on my SA and since I needed a new barrel I thought I'd mate it to the new bushing. The barrel/bushing fit is probably as close as it could be.  I had to take a few swipes inside the bushing with 600 grit paper and if I twist it a little bit and hold my mouth just right it slides in. Once in, it slides through the bushing freely.

That is the good news. The bad news is that once assembled on the frame with the new barrel, the slide won't return to battery.  The slide barely releases once the slide stop is inserted.  With the slide stop removed and the slide set in the "in battery" position, I can look through the slide stop hole and see more metal above the kidney shaped hole than I can when the old barrel is installed.  Both barrels appear to have the same size kidney shaped holes and the top of the hole to the bottom of the chamber appears to be the same on both barrels. That leads me to believe the new barrel is not sitting as deeply into the slide as the old barrel.  Am I on the right track here?  If I am, what do I address first to try and correct this situation?

Offline eastman

Re: New barrel won't return to battery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 09:16:07 PM »
New barrels often require fitting. Where does it bind when the chamber end moves up into position in the slide?
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:30:25 PM »
There are some stickies here on how to fit a new bbl.
schmecky/CGW also posted about how tight CGW makes the lugs fit.
There are also posts on how to make minor adjustments.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 10:33:24 PM by 1SOW »

Offline fastlane604

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:37:11 PM »
I found a youtube video that appears to address my situation. Thank you all for the replies.

Offline fastlane604

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 01:37:08 PM »
I watched the youtube video a couple of times and got the barrel installed properly. It took a little more filing than I expected, but it now goes into battery and fits snugly. Best of all, it shoots well.

Offline eastman

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:15:20 PM »
I watched the youtube video a couple of times and got the barrel installed properly. It took a little more filing than I expected, but it now goes into battery and fits snugly. Best of all, it shoots well.

that's great to hear
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »

Could you share the link to the video? That would be a great future resource, and it is always helpful having one on hand that a member has used and liked. Thanks and glad you got it to work!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline fastlane604

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 04:06:10 PM »

Could you share the link to the video? That would be a great future resource, and it is always helpful having one on hand that a member has used and liked. Thanks and glad you got it to work!
Sorry, been on the road and off the forum. I went back to youtube and tried to recreate the search I used to find the video. It was only a couple minutes long but I can't find the one I watched. However, there are several on the subject. It involved filing the face of the chamber to allow the barrel to fully drop down and seat into the slide.

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 11:56:13 PM »
No worries! I'll just watch them all  O0
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 12:55:20 AM »
There is the same here on the forum.  Not sure if there is a video,  but there are pics showing where to carefully sand/file.

anything