Author Topic: Beretta 92s barrel compatibility/questions  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Deadeye

Beretta 92s barrel compatibility/questions
« on: September 10, 2017, 09:11:35 PM »
Hi
So I was thinking about a project gun for when (I hope) the hearing protection act goes through.  You can buy Italian police trade in Beretta 92s's pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if 92fs barrels are compatible, or if there is enough room to thread the part of the barrel that sticks out past the slide, or what.  I hear they are really nice with a can, and I think it would be pretty fun to do.  I looked all over Google for answers albeit I'm not the best man in the world when it comes to finding things online.  Any advice, comments, or especially knowledge is very welcome!
Thanks everyone.

Also if this is in the wrong place to ask about the barrels please feel free to move it.
And by the way, I MUCH prefer cz pistols, I just thought it would be a cool project that wouldn't break the bank.

Offline IDescribe

Re: Beretta 92s barrel compatibility/questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:44:32 AM »
I'm not the best man in the world when it comes to finding things online. 

Clearly.  ;) 

You might want to try a Beretta forum. ;)

Offline Deadeye

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 02:07:04 PM »
Thanks John, I really appreciate the help.  That's a really neat setup you have by the way.  You're right about the mag release too, I honestly don't know all the differences between the s and fs series of them either.

IDescribe you might be right about a Beretta forum being a good place to look, but I'm just not THAT interested in them.  I much prefer CZ, and thats why I signed up.  This forum has about the nicest, most helpful, knowledgeable people of the different forums I've lurked around in.  I knew someone here would know the solution and be happy to help, lo and behold less than 24 hours later that proved to be the case.  Thanks for the tip though.

Offline eastman

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:09:37 PM »
The 92s also has a tiny front sight built in to the slide, so you won't be able to get a sight picture with the can in the way.

(That said, you can get a good condition 92s for under $300, so that is worthwhile in itself)
I don't look like my avatar!

Ron M.

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
You may be able to pick up a barrel for an M9A3. It will fit your 92S and already be threaded.

Offline Deadeye

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 08:28:31 PM »
That's a really good idea Ron, thank you.  I'll definetly check that out.

Eastman I was kind of wondering about that.  I had one but my mom of all people fell in love with it, and she didn't have a gun, so I gave it to her.  There is no way she would have ever bought a gun (although she is a surprisingly good shot), so at least I can take measurements next time I visit to see how bad a can would obstruct the sights.  Worst case scenario, I have some professional machinist friends who are really into guns.

Offline eastman

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 10:17:27 PM »
For a 92s, the barrel diameter is around 0.585". The front sight top is ~ 0.150" above the barrel.

So a can any larger than 0.9" diameter would block the front sight completely.
I don't look like my avatar!

anything