Author Topic: CMP rifle purchase ?s  (Read 1928 times)

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: CMP rifle purchase ?s
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »
Yea the prices have really shot up for the M1 Garands. I think they start around 7-800 and up over 1500 for the real nice ones. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to buy one until they're all gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 08:31:49 PM »
Yea the prices have really shot up for the M1 Garands. I think they start around 7-800 and up over 1500 for the real nice ones. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to buy one until they're all gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I visited the South Store early this summer. The building is huge, but the store is surprisingly small. There were less than 10 functional rifles for sale, the cheapest was around $1500 IIRC. Most of the available guns were $$$. They also had quite a few parade guns for $250-$300 I think. Pickings are getting slim.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 06:28:52 AM »
Availability can cycle up/down.

When I first went to the North Store there were racks and racks and racks of M1 Garands, 03 Springfields, 03A3 Springfields and a few M1917's.  About 3 months later when I went up there for that class there were none worth taking home.  That's why I bought the two H&R barreled M1 receivers and the big metal can of HXP surplus ammo.

You're right, they won't last forever.  And then you've got the guys that buy them up and take them to the next gun show after adding $400 to what they paid for them.  Some people even buy them and then strip the desirable parts (Winchester, International Harvester, or just good WW2 era) off and sell them  to people wanting to restore M1's to their original conditions (parts that are correct to the receiver date/production).
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 11:19:53 AM »
Unfortunately I would not pay $1500 for a basic M1 garand, it's just not worth it to me. Especially because I wouldn't shoot it to often out of fear of wearing parts out. IF it's $1500 for a top dollar one though, that wouldn't be bad!

They start at $730 online for a service grade.

http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 02:37:49 PM »
I don't think you'll wear one out.  Barrel maybe, if you shoot several thousand rounds, recoil/op rod spring probably.  The rest of it is already over 75 years old and still going strong.

The delicate parts are the op rod - if you run powders outside/above the design burn rate and cause higher than normal gas port pressures.  It's not chamber pressure than "kills" a Garand, it's gas port pressure.

A few years after WW2 they got to wondering why they never had issues with M1 Garands blowing up in combat (there had been issues with 03 Springfields after WW1 due to some heat treating issues).

They decided to do a test.  To make a long story short the used (for the first part of the testing) the arsenal pressure test guns, a standard M1 Garand and an 7.7 mm Arisaka rechambered/rebarreled to 30.06.

In the early parts of the testing they pressure tested the rounds prior to shooting them in the Garand and the Arisaka.  They recorded the powder charge vs. the pressure.

They eventually got to high enough chamber pressures that they feared damage to their pressure test guns and stopped using them.  With the previously recorded data for powder charge vs. chamber pressure they calculated the pressures after that point in the testing.

Eventually the Arisaka blew up.  The M1 Garand kept going.  They reached a load where the brass case itself failed and released gas/pressure back into the receiver/bolt.  It blew the floor plate off the trigger housing, it bulged the bottom of the bolt, it busted the stock to hell and blew the small parts in the loading mechanism out with the floor plate.

They stopped testing and examined the rifle.  The receiver, barrel, op rod and some other parts were considered serviceable and they put it back together with a new trigger housing and stock.  The calculated chamber pressure that caused the cartridge case to rupture and damage the rifle was around 185,000 psi.  After they replaced the broken parts they continued firing standard pressure 30.06 ammo in the rifle till they got tired of it and terminated the testing.

I don't try to get close to max. chamber pressure.  I just load ammo that gives me the best groups I can shoot in my M1 Garands.

If I haven't recommended it before, Hatcher's Book of the Garand is a really good interesting book about the people and the development of the M1 Garand and many of it's competitors during the period between the world wars.

Garand started off as a tool maker.  Not only did he design/develop the parts for the M1 he also designed/developed the tools to measure/test those parts.

Ever hear of the "sheep boards"  or the "pig boards"?  Those guys, in that time period were not the politically correct computer worshiping people of today.  They wanted to know how different caliber bullets behaved at varying distances in flesh/bone.  So they went out and bought a bunch of sheep, took them to a rifle range and tied them to stakes at varying distances and shot them with different calibers and bullet weights/shapes and then examined the bodies to determine which bullets performed best for penetration, tissue/bone damage, how quickly the bullet dropped the target, etc.

Someone pointed out to them that sheep were not a good test subject as pigs were closer related to humans in many ways (skin/bone/tissue).  So they went out and bought a bunch of pigs and repeated the testing.

And no, the .30-06 FMJ rounds they used in those days was not the best.  They chose not to use the best because they had millions of rounds of 30.06 in storage at that time.

Sorry for the long post.  I could have left it at, "follow the reloading rules for M1 Garand ammo and you won't hurt it or wear it out."
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Redcat94

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 05:20:20 PM »
I paid $1030 for my Special Grade in early 2016. That included shipping   and a really nice hard plastic case. It was worth every penny.
Berhati-hati di ruang platform.

Offline 10-96

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 07:51:47 AM »
Out of curiosity, has anyone heard any new news about the return shipment of Garands from the Philippines?

I know, I could cruise the CMP forums, but I kinda like the folks around here.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.