Author Topic: Hopefully...Rain by Thursday! Snow by Friday!  (Read 1024 times)

Offline FN in MT

Hopefully...Rain by Thursday! Snow by Friday!
« on: September 11, 2017, 09:56:14 AM »

We have been suffering through a record drought, which has turned into out of control, mega sized, wild fires. I think Montana iis approaching 1.75 MILLION acres burned...We may have exceeded that by now , as it was windy yesterday.

Last measurable rain here was in mid June. And we have had temps in the 90's almost non stop. 91 predicted for today. In SEPTEMBER!  Luckily, despite the tinder dry conditions, we've had no fires any closer than 2 miles.

The Weather service is predicting a MAJOR Canadian cold front down from AK and northern Canada on Thursday. Bringing as much as 3-5 inches of rain and in the higher elevations, snow by Friday!  Oh good Lord but do we need it!

My Cousins place, west of me,  is threatened by a close by fire and I know several friends who have lost hay, grasslands and of course timber already.   Hopefully it will end in a few more days.

FN in MT
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:04:57 PM by FN in MT »

Offline WaltherP99

Re: Hopefully...Rain by Thursday! Snow by Friday!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
Hopefully the rain and snow works out for ya! Good luck and hope your relatives/friends continue to be safe. Weird weather stuff going on this year...

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 03:00:33 PM »
With all the big weather events,  your Montana drought and wildfires have slipped past notoriety.
I'm glad the fires haven't hit you and happy you'll be getting rain soon. 
Hopefully you'll enjoy a great winter and a good new year with the weather.
1SOW

Offline Cyanide

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:57:33 PM »
Wish I could ship you all of the rain we just got from Irma, there's probably more than enough for all of the wildfires raging out that way.

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 11:39:34 AM »
  FINALLY!

Rain falling and 48 ° as we speak.  Started gently raining early last night. We had .5" in the rain gauge by 0900 this morning.

This is supposed to continue for the next two days with snow above 5000' on Saturday.  Thank God! 

This should end our near record breaking fire season.

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 07:53:09 PM »
We got about 1/2" here in Idaho today as well, which was most welcome, even if we have been spared (this year) the big fires you have been having in MT.  Looking out at the mountain, I don't see any snow ... yet.

Sure is interesting how conditions vary so much across our country.
If it's popular, I'm against it.

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 08:27:52 PM »
    Snow predicted for tomorrow night and Saturday night......mostly at higher elevations, but this is certainly not HELPING the fires. With any luck this weekend could be the end of that mess.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 10:05:50 PM »
Amen.

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »
  It's Saturday afternoon and the rain is done.  Spotty showers predicted for later this week. But overall.... FALL is here now. Temperatures are 30-50 degrees cooler than last week. It was 38 here this morning, not the usual 55. Yesterdays high was 42 not the 90 we have had almost non stop since June.

We ended up with 2.75" of rain here at Craig. The two big fires burning west of us , near Lincoln , have been inundated with a foot of snow and below freezing temps yesterday. So they should be easily contained now. Then again....Knowing the USFS ....they could  screw that up and restart them somehow.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 11:21:19 PM »
Or Land Management could come in and do that - they have a history. Good to know that things are looking better, and the rain/snow should help clear the air, too.

Offline seaswol

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 05:56:07 PM »
How did it go back in the day "How much energy does it take to destroy a National Forest or Park?"  One Watt. (James G. Watt became secretary of the interior...)

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2017, 12:55:41 AM »
Or Land Management could come in and do that - they have a history. Good to know that things are looking better, and the rain/snow should help clear the air, too.

The only entity that actually seems to be able to PUT OUT fires...not "manage" them...is our State Dept of Natural Resources. The DNRC has it's own fleet of bucket drop helicopters and they ARE efficient. 

The USFS...not so much.

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2017, 01:59:01 PM »
The USFS in my part of the woods (pardon the pun) never seems to have funds for stuff that matters, such as fixing any of the Nat'l Forest roads that get washed out over the winter, but they do have funds for paying a "diverse" group of college kids to do riparian studies of dry places (go figure on that one).

On better news, I just read that the Trump administration is making some major changes in how the Feds approach managing forests from a fire standpoint, starting to reverse some of the fire management practices that have been in place since the Clinton admistration that have led to more fires.

Snow on the mountaintops here today above 9000'.  ❄️

Offline FN in MT

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »
The USFS in my part of the woods (pardon the pun) never seems to have funds for stuff that matters, such as fixing any of the Nat'l Forest roads that get washed out over the winter, but they do have funds for paying a "diverse" group of college kids to do riparian studies of dry places (go figure on that one).

On better news, I just read that the Trump administration is making some major changes in how the Feds approach managing forests from a fire standpoint, starting to reverse some of the fire management practices that have been in place since the Clinton admistration that have led to more fires.

Snow on the mountaintops here today above 9000'.  ❄️

Good Lord! We need to do SOMETHING different!  The "usual" aint working.

I was in an Army Aviation Unit for seventeen years, MT Natl Guard.  We went to quite a few fires, my job was to map the growth, Command & Control between USFS, Volunteers FD's, etc.  And we occasionally inserted and evacuated firefighters in and out, delivered chow ,  water, etc. So I was on probably a dozen fires.

So my disdain of the USFS is well rooted  from years of watching the bloated bureaucracy fail, far more than prevail.  They are Masters at studies, meetings, reports and  paperwork. Not so good at actually cleaning up a forest or putting OUT a fire though.

I've seen hundreds of firefighters in camp, while 40 were actually ON the fireline. Apparently it was too dangerous to have full crews on the line. I agree we need SAFETY guidelines, but I think they use Safety as the sacred cow of excuses. 

Few weeks back we lost the Historic Sperry Chalet in Glacier Park. Apparently steps taken to save it, were inadequate. But question the USFS and they fall back on the SAFETY excuse. Also...there was a total of FIVE firefighters there. FIVE. I'll guarantee there were  TEN times that amount of Supervisors running the boondogle.

No...NOT a fan of the USFS. Maybe they are competent in other States....But here in Montana, there's a reason we generally refer to them as the Forest Circus.

Offline Quercusmax

• It wasn't my fault
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 07:55:40 PM »
I was really sad to learn of the loss of the Sperry Chalet.

On the  other hand, it probably wasn’t up to compliance with the ADA....

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:23:37 PM by Quercusmax »