Author Topic: I was thirsty  (Read 243 times)

Offline recoilguy

I was thirsty
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:22:15 PM »
So I went to the local Gas Station/convenience store/sporting goods store /gun store. Yeah we have one in town It's called Mel's. I wanted an iced tea, but there was a couple little kids whinning and kicking on the floor by the cooler because their mom wouldn't get them a orange soda!!!! They needed something else besides an orange soda in my opinion.

So I avoided the drama and walked up the stairs to the gun store. I went in for a Iced Tea...I left with an Iced Tea and a 1911. I am so freaking impulsive I can't believe it. I bought a box of .45 round nose and some hollow points and went to the range. Now this is my first .45........it's awesome. I guess my next purchase will be a set of .45 dies. It never ends. great way to end a Sunday right?

RCG
........Its that you shoot!

Offline eagle-eye

Re: I was thirsty
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »
We have a gun store in the back of a True Value hardware store. It's always dangerous to send me there for some simple hardware purchase. I always wind up in the gun shop.
Enjoy your new 1911

Offline eastman

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 08:06:05 PM »
Makes perfect sense to me.
I don't look like my avatar!

Offline SharpShooterNJ

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »
And that 1911 is hungry. Feed it well and enjoy! What 1911 did you find?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »
Nothing better than iced tea and shooting!

Make sure you are saving your brass!  .45 brass is expensive stuff.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:33:04 AM »
I have just over 300 from strays I picked up over time while picking 9mm brass. Its a good start. I need to get some large pistol primers, a set of .45 dies and some bullets and see what I can load.

If any one has a good recipe for .45 I could use some input.
I haven't picked a size of bullet yet or a powder.

I have 231 and N320 about 6# of each for 9mm but if I have to get different for .45 I'm ok with that.
I want to shoot a RN as opposed to a flat nosed bullet, I'm not sure what weight yet. I will pick between plated, jacketed or those colored bullets.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Not competing with this one just making steel go ding or holes I can see in paper.

RCG

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:46:55 AM »
I have just over 300 from strays I picked up over time while picking 9mm brass. Its a good start. I need to get some large pistol primers, a set of .45 dies and some bullets and see what I can load.

You will need to check your brass.  .45 ACP is made in both large AND small primer.  I'd be willing to bet your range pickup is a mix of the two.

Online John A.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 12:42:49 PM »
I hope that was sweet tea.

I usually don't even bother pocketing small primer 45 cases. 

Regular (large primer) brass finds a new home in the coffee can beside of my bench.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline SharpShooterNJ

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »
Just sorted a bunch of 45 last night. Bit of a pain to pull out the small primers! I keep them just in case. I have used 231 (hp38) and Titegroup for 45. Probably good to start with 231.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 04:37:46 PM »
Glad there's no place like that around here.  I really would get in some trouble.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.  So, if you see me walking the dogs with my SIG 556R, its okay.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »

You will need to check your brass.  .45 ACP is made in both large AND small primer.  I'd be willing to bet your range pickup is a mix of the two.

Already sorted thanks though

RCG