Author Topic: 9mm 124 Gr. RMR FMJ Flat Nose Plunk Test Update  (Read 3795 times)

Offline Roger Vick

9mm 124 Gr. RMR FMJ Flat Nose Plunk Test Update
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:48:48 PM »
Just got a few to try, haven't had time to shoot yet but was ask to post plunk test results.

My SP 01 barrel plunk test 5 times in a row 1.122 so I'll load around 1.105. they also measure right at .3555. Will start with 4gr HP-38 looking for a good target load.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:30:14 PM by Roger Vick »

Offline copemech

Re: 9mm 124 Gr. RMR FMJ Flat Nose Plunk Test
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 11:16:11 PM »
I think that will work fine, although you may have to bump them up just a bit for clean running.

Offline Roger Vick

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 11:21:34 PM »
I think that will work fine, although you may have to bump them up just a bit for clean running.

How much is a bit? I was thinking 4.0 to 4.5 am I in the ballpark?

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 05:40:05 AM »
Roger, you're unlikely to find much data for jacketed FP, but jacketed HP data is available, and FP loads similarly to HP.   I know Wobbly loads 124gr JHP with 4.2/4.3gr of HP-38 at a similar OAL. 

Your ladder should run 3.9-4.4. 

Offline baldrage

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 06:17:16 AM »
Thanks for posting results of your plunk test! RMR bullets seem to plunk short in my SP1, so was curious how these new FMJ FN would do.

Offline Dan_69GTX

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »
Greetings.

I've been out of action due to back surgery and am going crazy since I can't shoot!

I ordered 250 of these too and will try them out soon.  Hopefully they will perform well.  Always looking for something better.

I'll post what I find.   I plan on testing with HP38/231 and at least 4 other powders.

Dan

Some trust in chassis, Some in Horsepower, But we trust in the Lord our God.

If it goes "boom" or "vroom" I'm intersted.

Offline Roger Vick

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 07:27:12 PM »
Roger, you're unlikely to find much data for jacketed FP, but jacketed HP data is available, and FP loads similarly to HP.   I know Wobbly loads 124gr JHP with 4.2/4.3gr of HP-38 at a similar OAL. 

Your ladder should run 3.9-4.4.

Thanks for that, 3.9-4.4 was about what I was thinking, but I'm new confirmation is a big help.

Offline Roger Vick

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »
Thanks for posting results of your plunk test! RMR bullets seem to plunk short in my SP1, so was curious how these new FMJ FN would do.

Not a problem, my small contribution.

Offline Roger Vick

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 07:30:34 PM »
Greetings.

I've been out of action due to back surgery and am going crazy since I can't shoot!

I ordered 250 of these too and will try them out soon.  Hopefully they will perform well.  Always looking for something better.

I'll post what I find.   I plan on testing with HP38/231 and at least 4 other powders.

Dan

Please post what you find, I'm very interested in the other powders you try.

Offline Roger Vick

Re: 9mm 124 Gr. RMR FMJ Flat Nose Plunk Test Update
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »
I got a chance to try the RMR FMJ FN today and shot the best 50 shot ragged hole I ever shot. I'm not a great marksman but I shoot enough to know when a Load/Bullet works. I was very pleased with my result and intend to buy these bullets in large quantities. FWIW ;)

CZ75 SP-O1 9mm
124gr RMR FMJ FN
HP-38 4.2gr
OAL 1.105
Plunk test 1.122
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:23:42 PM by Roger Vick »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 09:17:20 PM »
Roger, for accuracy testing, you should keep your shot count much lower.

If the number of shots in your group is too low, you will end up getting SOME crazy small groups that make you and the group look great, and it's misleading.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, which is where you are, and the number of shots in your group is too high, you can end up with an unacceptably large group that looks great because there's a large solid hole, surrounded by flyers.  The problem is that if you break that 50 round group into 5 randomly selected ten-round groups, that giant hole just ends up being five large groups.  We're trained subconsciously to like rounds touching, but 35-40 rounds touching with 10-15 flyers is just several bad groups in disguise.  ;)

Something like 5-round groups for rifle or 10-round groups for pistol end up painting a more realistic picture.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:59:57 AM by IDescribe »

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 09:33:16 PM »
When they keyhole without flyers - you know SOMETHING is working right!

Offline Roger Vick

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 11:33:23 PM »
Roger, for accuracy testing, you should keep your shot count much  lower and consistent from one range trip to the next so that you're comparing apples to apples. 

If your group size is too low, you will end up getting SOME crazy small groups that make you and the group look great, and it's misleading.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, which is where you are, you can end up with an unacceptably large group that looks great because there's a large solid hole, surrounded by flyers.  The problem is that if you break that 50 round group in to 5 ten round groups, that giant hole just ends up being five large groups.  We're trained to like rounds touching, but 35-40 rounds touching with 10-15 flyers is just several bad groups in disguise.  ;)

Something like 5-round groups for rifle or 10-round groups for pistol end up painting a more realistic picture.  ;)

Yes Sir I fully understand what you're saying, I was just so impressed and having fun I couldn't stop shooting. I was only shooting at 15 yards. I shot the 1 inch circle/2 inch center out of a 6 inch shoot n see on the first 20 shots. After that I could see the bullets hit the dirt 25 yards behind the target through the 2 in. hole. For me to be able to shoot through a 2 in. hole and see the bullets hit the dirt backstop put a big smile on my face  :). At some point I just started shooting through the hole in the target for grins and giggles. There were no shots outside the 2 inch circle so no flyers just me shaking. Next time out I'll try to get serious as you say and shoot some serious groups.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 11:40:04 PM by Roger Vick »

Offline Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 12:54:41 AM »
Roger, for accuracy testing, you should keep your shot count much  lower and consistent from one range trip to the next so that you're comparing apples to apples. 

If your group size is too low, you will end up getting SOME crazy small groups that make you and the group look great, and it's misleading.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, which is where you are, you can end up with an unacceptably large group that looks great because there's a large solid hole, surrounded by flyers.  The problem is that if you break that 50 round group in to 5 ten round groups, that giant hole just ends up being five large groups.  We're trained to like rounds touching, but 35-40 rounds touching with 10-15 flyers is just several bad groups in disguise.  ;)

Yes Sir I fully understand what you're saying, I was just so impressed and having fun I couldn't stop shooting. I was only shooting at 15 yards. I shot the 1 inch circle/2 inch center out of a 6 inch shoot n see on the first 20 shots. After that I could see the bullets hit the dirt 25 yards behind the target through the 2 in. hole. For me to be able to shoot through a 2 in. hole and see the bullets hit the dirt backstop put a big smile on my face  :). At some point I just started shooting through the hole in the target for grins and giggles. There were no shots outside the 2 inch circle so no flyers just me shaking. Next time out I'll try to get serious as you say and shoot some serious groups.

Roger, I don't know if you read in the stickies for this sub-forum... But that sort of wild fun isn't allowed here. Only extensive information and data is acceptable by the mods and IDescribe.

Just messing (mostly with IDescribe). Sounds like excellent results from these bullets, thanks for sharing and taking our banter!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 09:02:37 AM »
But that sort of wild fun isn't allowed here. Only extensive information and data is acceptable by the mods and IDescribe.

To be clear, I was in no way knocking him for shooting it or sharing it.  I simply read "the best 50 shot ragged hole I ever shot." and thought "no, no,no" because those high round-count "groups" are seductive.  I'm not telling him what fun to have or not have.  I'm telling him not to get tricked by a 50-round fist-sized hole. ;)

Also, NO BANTER.  When you start allowing banter, you end up with nonsense threads like someone posting about their wrist surgery in the AMMO and HANDLOADING subforum.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:06:02 AM by IDescribe »