Author Topic: GOOD All-around powder?  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: GOOD All-around powder?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 10:34:28 PM »
There's quite a few suggestions for N320. That is the powder that Sport Pistol has been compared to, and it is more affordable. Since it is newer not many have used it yet. Here's a thread with testing from various members.

http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=89615.30

SPO1SHADOW has the more definitive results as he is a fantastic shooter with hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange.

I was going to say that powders in the "burn rate" range around Win 231/ HP-38 and N320 always seem to be good for 9 and 40. Highly suggest you download several of the available "burn rate charts" and keep them handy for consulting.

There are several 5 or 6 powders in this speed range, so before going powder hunting you want to make sure you have 1) load data available, and 2) like the reviews you read. N320 is excellent in many, many areas, but if you can't buy it locally that piece of info may not do you much good. 

Be advised, Sport Pistol and the other new ones from IMR may not have made it into the Burn Rate Charts just yet.

;)
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Online Scarlett Pistol

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 12:36:29 AM »
Most excellent points Wobbly, thank you!
"In God I trust. All others must supply data."
"I respect that the choice of pistols is very personal. Although, if someone is devoid at least one CZ, they've chosen the wrong pistols"  - Scarlett Pistol
1) CZ 75 Compact Classic - 9mm
2) CZ SP-01 - 9mm
3) "SP-01 Compact" (CZ 75 Compact)

Offline dennyking1

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »
I have great results with Unique in my 9mm pushing 115gr fmj's

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 03:14:43 PM »
I have great results with Unique in my 9mm pushing 115gr fmj's

Unique burns at a wonderful speed for pistol use, but it can be nasty in low power loads. IMR just recently went on a "mimic binge" and they now make a power called Unequal which is supposed to burn exactly like Unique... except do everything a little better.

https://imrpowder.com/imr-unequal/

► Another new one showing a lot of promise is an Alliant powder called BE-86. It's supposed to fall between Bullseye and Power Pistol, and have a flash suppressant. Guys here are having a lot of fun with this one. It has its own thread you might want to scan RIGHT HERE.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/powder/be-86.aspx

You might try looking some of those up.

;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 03:32:16 PM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline inspector1999

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
My experience with Tite Group for 9mm and what I have heard and read says it would be good for 40 also.  So it could be your solution.  Cheap and available.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline Metalman52

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2017, 01:31:25 PM »
WW231/HP38 for standard loads for most pistol rounds and power pistol for hotter auto pistol rounds have worked for me

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 03:10:51 PM »
My experience with Tite Group for 9mm and what I have heard and read says it would be good for 40 also.  So it could be your solution.  Cheap and available.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Tite group is cheap and available which is good and good.
TG is also dirty and hot!!!! which is not so good and not so good (IMHO)
My shooting buddy used to use it in USPSA but if he shot over 120 rounds it would literally melt his front FO pin out.
and it is dirty.

But if you cant find anything else it loads nicely and it loads around 3700 rounds per pound.

RCG
........Its that you shoot!

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
I’ve shot 10,000-ish rounds of TG through two pistols with FO front sights, and never had it melt a rod.  I’ve had countless 300-round practice sessions for Steel Challenge with TG and no melted FO rods.  It’s also difficult for me to imagine that one of the top powders, if not THE top powder, at various practical shooting “Nationals” where such data is tracked,  quickly and easily melts FO rods.  That’s not happening. 

I’m not saying Titegroup doesn’t burn a little hotter than average or that it’s never damaged an FO rod.  I’m just saying its reputation for heat is greater than its reality. ;)

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 04:24:24 PM »
Yeah your right I was probably making that up, because I heard TG was hot and wanted to get on the TG is hot bandwagon and spread fake news on the web.
Like you said....It not happening.
I don't even really have a shooting buddy.
I just post here because I'm really a Russian internet mis information spreader.
Now the Russians will fire me because one of the CZ forum guys who knows a thing or two figured me out.

I may have to change my name to oilspot or something like that now. :o

RCG

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:27:12 PM by recoilguy »
........Its that you shoot!

Online seaswol

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 04:42:11 PM »
After 14 pounds of TG I am switching to 231 because TG does not fill the case beyond half full.  I really liked N320 but a little expensive for volume practice rounds.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 07:31:20 PM »
After using Unique for years - I have to double check sometimes when using TG - because it ISN'T filled up to the top of the case in comparison...

Offline Moken

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
For higher performance in auto loading pistols I like Longshot. Fantastic performance in lighter .40. Runs clean in my 1911s (.45AP)and my go to powder in my Caniks(9mm). I do however burn Unique just because I've had a bunch of it for many years.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 04:45:39 PM »
I may have to give Longshot a try.

Offline Moken

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2017, 01:57:35 PM »
Longshot is pretty good for what I run. It can work decent for lighter to medium .357 mag loads .38+P and all the auto loaders.
I load my 9mm to 1100 fps for plinking and SD loads and when I had my .40 was at 1250 w 135 gr Nosler HP in a Ruger SR40 4". It shot softer than many factory .40 loads and quite accurate.
That was over my Chrony.