Author Topic: P09 shooting high  (Read 1166 times)

Offline BrassJunkie

P09 shooting high
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:33:31 PM »
New to the forum.  Recently purchased a P09 a couple months back and recently shot over the weekend.  Me and my buddies noticed the point of impact did not meet the point of aim.  The pistol appears to be shooting close to 4 inches high at 7 yards.  The P09 I bought new has a threaded barrel with factory low pro night sights.  The sights are fixed and not supressor height.  Would love for this problem to be solved and I am looking to upgrade the sights.  Looking for supressor height fiber optic with black adjustable rear if possible.  Just not sure what height sights I need to fix the problem.  Was shootingFederal 115 fmj and s&b 115 fmj if this helps.

Offline Raining_Brass

Re: P09 shooting high
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 08:00:11 PM »
Are you sure you've ruled out everything but the sights? 4" high at 7 yards is a ton.
You'd need a front sight approximately .095" taller to correct that. Pretty unheard of.

Offline BrassJunkie

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 08:41:14 PM »
I know I'm not pulling up on the gun.  The only thing I haven't tried is higher grain ammo.  But at 7 yards I wouldn't think it mattered.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 08:42:52 PM by BrassJunkie »

Offline DOC 1500

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 08:54:38 PM »
Are you sure you're lining up the sites right the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sights?
I'm sure you know how to line up sites but I just had to ask. I have a PO9 I never had a problem like that. As mentioned your problem is way off and unheard-of.
JOHN 3:16
2 COR.5:17
A Lie is a Lie even if everybody believes it ,
The Truth is the Truth even if nobody believes it !!!

Offline BrassJunkie

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 09:03:50 PM »
Yes.   I'm not new to the three dot sights.  The only sights I hate from the factory are glock sights.  I use truglo TFO's on three of my pistols.  I was wanting to just have fiber optics on the P09.  I pulled back to 10 and 15 yards with the same results.  Two others were seeing the same results.  Just not sure what to do.  Can't get a lower front sight as it is already as low as it gets.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:06:27 PM by BrassJunkie »

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »
Those threaded barrel standard sight P09's are just awkward looking.  You know if someone wants to buy/run a suppressor they're going to want to buy suppressor height sights, too.

Not sure who to tell you to contact about sights - along with the info on your issue, but I know there are several companies that make (and will install on your slide) suppressor height sights.

Good luck.  If the groups are good enough it'll be worth the trouble.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 09:17:16 PM »
Those threaded barrel standard sight P09's are just awkward looking.  You know if someone wants to buy/run a suppressor they're going to want to buy suppressor height sights, too.

Not sure who to tell you to contact about sights - along with the info on your issue, but I know there are several companies that make (and will install on your slide) suppressor height sights.

Good luck.  If the groups are good enough it'll be worth the trouble.

If it's shooting high, you'll want a taller front sight, not a lower front sight.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline BrassJunkie

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 09:29:18 PM »
You are correct I was thinking in pig Latin that I needed a shorter sight.  I think I will just order a set of sights and go from there.  Def not parting with the gun. 

Offline Raining_Brass

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:32:30 PM »
Yes.   I'm not new to the three dot sights.  The only sights I hate from the factory are glock sights.  I use truglo TFO's on three of my pistols.  I was wanting to just have fiber optics on the P09.  I pulled back to 10 and 15 yards with the same results.  Two others were seeing the same results.  Just not sure what to do.  Can't get a lower front sight as it is already as low as it gets.
You don't need lower. You need taller as I said in my first post.
If you want to go to fiber optic, get a Dawson Precision .205" rear with a custom made .250" fiber front. That will put you dead on poa/poi assuming your 4" at 7 yards is definitely correct. You'll have to pay a $10 custom fee I believe and it usually takes them a couple weeks to make it. Otherwise, the closest they have to the height you need it a .265".
Which would then put you shooting a little low.

What's odd is that these guns are test fired at the factory with a live person, not a machine. 4" high would without a doubt be caught by the person test firing.

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 07:28:39 AM »
Hope it's not a grip/unfamiliarity thing between you and your pistol.

I've seen a lot of people (pistols and rifles) make a sight adjustment when their groups weren't hitting their point of aim.  Then, after a few magazines of ammo you see them cranking the sights back the other way to where they started out - as they settle in with the fire arm.

Good luck with it.  The P09's are.....excellent.  Mine is just about the most accurate semi-auto I've ever shot and easily puts the Glock/XDM/M&P's that preceded it to shame and banishment in the dark recesses of a gun safe.

Offline jimjc

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 07:24:05 PM »
I think you need to know exactly how high it shoots before you go buying new sights, you need to shoot the gun from a sturdy rest, a ransom rest if you can but if not a heavy sand bag. Start at 3 yds. then five and the 7 yes and maybe 10 yds. Once you do that you can make a decision on exactly what you need. 4" high is very big deal for 7 yds.