Author Topic: CGW SRS (short reset system)  (Read 3442 times)

Offline 8strings8rounds

CGW SRS (short reset system)
« on: September 13, 2017, 11:16:33 AM »
Last night, I installed the Cajun Short Reset System in my 97B.
Honestly, I'm not entirely sure it made a noticeable difference in my reset.

Tonight, I plan to reinstall the stock parts and physically measure the reset amounts pre and post and see if I'm just imagining it..

Anyway, who else has done this? What were your results?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Offline Tok36

Re: CGW SRS (short reset system)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:29:55 PM »
I have the SRS parts in 6 of mine i think. In my cases the reset distance was reduced by around half, it varies from pistol to pistol a bit. With the extended Firing Pin installed it also allowed me to go below a 15# hammer spring. Some of the triggers can make it a little less apparent.

Be sure that you have the short reset lifter arm installed, i believe that it will still work with the factory lifter arm but without the reset reduction. I assume that you have this covered but because i have seen this mistake made in the past i though i would mention it just in case.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 12:32:33 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline 8strings8rounds

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 01:21:19 PM »
Thanks. And yea, it's in there. I think the hammer spring with the kit was 13#?
The only real difference I noticed in the kit was the lifter arm. The arm itself had an exaggerated hook so that it keeps the leg forward a bit more. It was only a hair farther back, though.
Like I said, I'm going to compare to the stock setup tonight (stock lifter)
I did purchase an adjustable sear and race hammer. Any experience with those parts? I'm hoping for a better trigger pull

Offline Tok36

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 03:21:19 PM »
The Firing Pin in the SRS kit is also a bit different. The lifter arm and FP work together to allow the FPB to function with less required travel. I am interested to see what you find once you have the factory parts back in.

I have the race hammer and adjustable sear in many of my CZs, i find them to be some of the most valuable upgrade parts available. The race hammer has a different geometry than the factory CZ hammer. This and its shorter hammer hooks remove the creep that is present with the factory hammer. A side effect of the differing geometry of the race hammer is that it throws off the safety engagement once installed. The adjustable sear allows you to regain the safety function while avoiding the potentially tedious hand fitting that is necessary otherwise.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 03:23:26 PM by Tok36 »
Will work for CZ pics! (including but not limited to all CZ clones)

Offline 8strings8rounds

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 03:33:05 PM »
I wasn't entirely sure if the difference on the FP was specific to the kit. I noted that the milled flats were a bit longer and it was longer overall, but figured the real difference was the timing in the lifter- everything else being essential to utilizing lighter springs without sacrificing reliability.
I'm glad to hear that about the hammer and sear. I considered fitting my own sear, but having done it on a Tanfoglio, I really just didn't want to again.. As you said, tedious.
 Turn a screw? heck yea, I'll go that route.
I'll throw an update I here in a couple hours when I get to try and measure my reset.

Offline 8strings8rounds

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 07:06:04 PM »
Ok. So.
I would try to take pictures, but I don't have enough hands or patience.
Using the 1/32" divided side of my machinist scale, at the very tip of my trigger, the results are as follows..

Factory parts reset length from full pull to 'click': between 9/32" and 5/16"

SRS parts installed, length from full pull to 'click': between 7/32" and 1/4"

I feel pretty upset by this.

Offline schmeky

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 08:25:43 PM »
Using the 1/32" divided side of my machinist scale, at the very tip of my trigger, the results are as follows

You are making a common error in measuring your reset.  You measure from the center of the triggers radius.  You don't shoot the pistol using the lower tip of the trigger.  Measuring from the tip of the trigger for reset is inaccurate since the fulcrum point is not indicative of the actual reset. 

Also keep in mind if you don't have an over travel screw you are also measuring the triggers over-travel, which is not part of the reset. 

Mechanically the reset has to be shorter since the lifter arms lower leg is shorter compared to the OEM lifter. 

If you have questions or complaints, we recommend calling for tech support.

Offline 8strings8rounds

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:52:06 PM »
Using the 1/32" divided side of my machinist scale, at the very tip of my trigger, the results are as follows

You are making a common error in measuring your reset.  You measure from the center of the triggers radius.  You don't shoot the pistol using the lower tip of the trigger.  Measuring from the tip of the trigger for reset is inaccurate since the fulcrum point is not indicative of the actual reset. 

Also keep in mind if you don't have an over travel screw you are also measuring the triggers over-travel, which is not part of the reset. 

Mechanically the reset has to be shorter since the lifter arms lower leg is shorter compared to the OEM lifter. 

If you have questions or complaints, we recommend calling for tech support.
First, thank you for clarifying how to measure the total reset.
I had considered measuring from about where my finger would rest, but that would have been more difficult as the distance traveled would be smaller and harder to measure.
As far as there being an overtravel screw or not, the point at which it resets remains the same regardless.
That considered, I am better understanding my error. I was expecting nearly an 1/8" difference from a 1/4" (50%) but was getting 1/16" (20ish%) as opposed to 1/16" out of 5/32" (40ish%)
I get it.
I'll have to get a different trigger in there after the hammer/sear come in and go at it again.

Thanks Schmeky.
Day saved!

Offline schmeky

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 09:03:22 AM »
8strings8rounds,

For sharp guys like you, poking around in the CZ design is more fun than a barrel of drunk monkeys (most of the time).  There's a lot to learn and discover. 

Have fun and don't be afraid to "kill" a few parts in the process as you go. 

Offline 8strings8rounds

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
Schmeky
The CZ certainly isn't as straight forward as some other stuff I've worked on. It's a smart mechanism with plenty of room for error..
I'm doing the same thing with this as I have with other projects- having the new parts already on order while I mess with the stock ones.. Just in case haha
But yea, it's a blast.