Author Topic: Experience with rechargeable tool batteries  (Read 1861 times)

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
Experience with rechargeable tool batteries
« on: September 13, 2017, 07:48:47 PM »
Just went out to "fix" a wobbly wood bench we use next to the dog pen.  It's several years old and needed a combination of more solid footing on the ground and bracing.

It's been fairly hot this summer.  The garage gets hot on hot days (I've seen it up to 112F inside a time or two).  I've not worked with the drills all summer due to the heat/humidity, so the drills/batteries have been sitting for months in that heat.

Just deleted a long story/description.

The important things are all the batteries are less than 2 years old.  None have been charged all summer, or used since back in May when it got hot.

The 12 volt drill battery died quick.  The 18 volt drill battery lasted a little longer.  Went to the garage, got another 18 volt battery and the 24 volt drill.

The second 18 volt drill battery died.  The 24 volt drill battery lasted the longest, but still died before I was done.

Went back to the garage and got another 24 volt drill battery and finished the job.

The 12 volt is a standard battery.  The 18 volt batteries are ni-cad.  The 24 volt batteries are lithium.  I'm wondering it the lithium batteries stand up to storage in the heat better?

Anyone else have experience with both ni-cad and lithium batteries and see hot temperatures resulting in short operational (between charges) life?

End of the story is the charges are full with additional batteries to charge up in the morning and my old buddy Dash (have golden retriever and half black lab) is happy with his bench again.  He was not liking it when he jumped up on the wobbling bench.

It's getting back to temperatures that will result in me sitting on a different bench and doing lots of trimming/chamfering/deburring of .223 and .308 brass that was bought back in the spring.  Those battery operated drills will see some use.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
Re: Experience with rechargeable tool batteries
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:37:44 PM »
Yeah, having a (mostly) dead Battery every time you go to use your Cordless Tools drive me nuts
I have a nice set of Craftsman, C3, (19.2V) Cordless Tools, and the bleep Batteries (3 of them) were NEVER charged when I needed to use the Tool(s)
So now, I keep one plugged-into the Charger at all times
Every time I go into the shop, I switch-out one, and this does seem to keep them all (mostly) charged
Also, I use the "Flashlight Tool" to fully drain, then re-charge each Battery once the given project is done
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before .... AND what's coming after HIM !

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 10:48:11 PM »
Same here with the 19vdc lithium (harbor freight).  I use a timer to keep it charged when I'm doing a project,  sometimes for days;  but after the project I'm back to having a charged drill last  about 6 days.
  I also have a VERY old ball bearing all metal Craftsman Electric VSR that fills the charging gap,  but with a loooong 14ga cord on a reel. :(

Offline SlvrDragon50

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 12:40:46 AM »
NiCD batteries are just bad tech compared to lithiums. I'd only go with lithium nowadays especially because they're so much lighter!

RIDGID has batteries for life (actually) as long as you register them. That's the way to go! But I have Milwaukees.

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 01:08:24 AM »
Note that you have to buy the Ridgid batteries with a tool and buy from Home Depot for the lifetime warranty. Batteries purchased seperately do not have lifetime nor do any purchased from anyone but HD.

Also chemistry of the two are totally different. Keeping Incas charged will weaken the pack over time. Best is total discharge and then recharge.

Lithium on the other hand can be kept charged and NEVER allowed to go completely dead or they will no longer take a charge. When your cell phone says it is dead it has about 20% still in it so they never really go dead.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:15:09 AM by larryflew »
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 01:16:34 AM »
I had a RIGID from H.D. and the battery failed.  It took it to the store where repairs were done. They sent it off and I waited 3 weeks for the replacement.  A few months later the original second battery failed.  I just used it until the replacement battery failed and then tossed it.  Home Depot didn't warranty the drill.  Rigid did.  :P

Offline sboone

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 03:59:18 PM »
The new dewalt 20v line seems to hold charge for a long time.  My experience so far with 20v is this
Dewalt=Milwaukee both great
Dewalt>portercable woth exception of the sawzall.  The porter cable 20v sawzall went through hell and back for me and didn't drain batteries nearly as fast as the dewalt, couple that with how light it was and color me impressed.  The rest of porter cable 20v line seemed to be weekend project every now again kind of thing, not serious use which is below the standard I hold porter cable to.  Most of my work tools now are dewalt 20V and most of the other techs will only use dewalt or Milwaukee.

Many have been holding on to their 18v tools as long as possible as they prefer them over the newer 20v product lines coming out.

Specifically with the dewalt, the 20v angle grinder is a beast and while you want to have and extra battery or 2 on hand, it will do a fair amount of work on 1 battery as will the drill/drivers, impacts, and leaf blower (yes I got a 20v leaf blower because I'm a man child don't judge me  ;D)

Offline larryflew

• Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »
I had a RIGID from H.D. and the battery failed.  It took it to the store where repairs were done. They sent it off and I waited 3 weeks for the replacement.  A few months later the original second battery failed.  I just used it until the replacement battery failed and then tossed it.  Home Depot didn't warranty the drill.  Rigid did.  :P

HD won't do anything for you even if it is a warranty item.  Had 10 18V lithiums I purchased as batteries which is how I found out about the lifetime warranty only applying to batteries purchased WITH a tool. They all failed. Since I have quite a few 18V Ridgid items I then purchased 3 drill sets and sold the drills on Feebay and got my lifetime warranty. So far no failures on those. Also had a couple of the 18 nicads rebuilt for $24 each that have been running like champs for quite some time.
When did it change from "We the people" to "screw the people"?

, []]]]]]]]]]]\>
        )'_\   (
'            \ *\
'              \ _\

Larry

Minnesota shooter
and CZ fanatic
NRA life since the 70's
USAF 66-70

Why use 911 when it's faster to use 1911 or 9mm?

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »
This morning I removed the batteries from the chargers (put there last night) and put three more on charge.

While I was doing all that I got to looking at my little 3/8" drive impact wrench and put the spare on charge (been lying there all summer - it gets used less than the drills, way less).  Charger said that one was still at between 75 and 100%.  It's a Snap-On and the battery is....yep, lithium ion.

Two out of four tools with lithium ion batteries and both had higher charge levels on the batteries after sitting 3 months in the heat of my garage.

If I buy any new tools, I think I'll buy lithium ion battery powered stuff.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline delphidoc

• Larry
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 11:02:38 PM »
I used to keep rechargeable batteries indoors in a closet so the heat and cold wouldn't damage them. Last time I had a battery give up the ghost on a cordless drill the replacement battery cost more than a new drill. I bought a corded drill instead. It always works and is higher torque than the cordless drill it replaced. I just don't use power tools enough these days to justify messing with batteries.
When the knock on the door said “Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms,” naturally I thought it was a delivery…

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2017, 09:20:43 AM »
I've got an 18v Lithium Hitachi kit.

The last time we moved, my drill was put in the garage in October.  Two batteries were in the kit.  I didn't need the drill again until Spring.  When I went to get the drill, I was expecting the batteries to be dead.  They were.  So I put them on the charger for a day.  Came back...batteries wouldn't take a charge.  They most likely were not charged up and left in an unheated garage in 30 below weather killed them.  Replacements are $70-$100.  Had a 2 year warranty, but they were just outside the period.

Offline ranastas

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 01:01:17 PM »
Your usually fine with temp extremes with lithium technology, but lithium batteries will sulfate if allowed to drain too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cbass

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2017, 07:18:27 PM »
I can recommend makita cordless tools not the ones they sale at home Depot though . 

Offline M1A4ME

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2017, 07:53:31 PM »
I haven't (yet) had a lithium ion battery "die" on me.

I've had the ni-cads die.  They are working now, I run the battery down, put them on charge and they won't take a charge.  Go from good/working to dead/won't charge all at once.

Offline copemech

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2017, 11:37:03 PM »
ebay is the place to go for replacement batteries. generic replacements are inexpensive too.

anything