Author Topic: Considering turning my pistol into a carbine  (Read 945 times)

Offline John A.

Re: Considering turning my pistol into a carbine
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 03:23:36 PM »
After speaking with nova3930 last night, he knew of a source for thickwall 4130 that has better OD and ID specs for what I need. 

Naturally, I'll still have to do a lot of work to make it, but this won't be "as" bad.

I'll have to mig or tig it when I'm finished, but should be a lot easier project to complete rather than drilling through 9 1/4" of steel to bore.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:25:34 PM by John A. »
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline John A.

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2017, 05:00:57 PM »
Got the piece of 4130 today.

Machining is about 90% complete.  The only thing I have left to do is the internal 18mm thread to attach to the pistol barrel.

Then drill, pin, weld and refinish the barrel.

The bulk of the machining is done (thankfully).  Lots of real tight tolerances to have to deal with.

Muzzle end while on the lathe turning it down for the male 1/2-28 threads so I can attach my can later.

Here's the internal cuts that will be necessary for extension to slide over the pistol barrel and for the where the 18mm threading will attach to the barrel.  Since the pistol barrel muzzle protrudes as much, I had to countersink a fairly long hole for clearance.

And a couple of pics to show essentially what I've been blabbering on about.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:08:48 PM by John A. »

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2017, 05:27:37 PM »
Outstanding work.

Offline nova3930

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2017, 07:55:01 PM »
Looking good

Nate Whitfield
NAAH Tool Works
Naahtoolworks@gmail.com
Naahtoolworks.com

Nate
NAAH Tool Works
naahtoolworks@gmail.com
naahtoolworks.com

Offline John A.

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2017, 10:24:11 PM »
Thanks guys.

It'll be a while before I can completely finish it, but I'll update once I do.

I'll be honest, as long as once I get done and it's straight enough to not cause a baffle or endcap strike when I check with my silencer rod, I'll be tickled.

I'm getting excited about it.

I hate losing some of the compactness of the pistol, but I use it outdoors a lot more often than indoors anyway ;)

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »
Thanks guys.

It'll be a while before I can completely finish it, but I'll update once I do.

I'll be honest, as long as once I get done and it's straight enough to not cause a baffle or endcap strike when I check with my silencer rod, I'll be tickled.

I'm getting excited about it.

I hate losing some of the compactness of the pistol, but I use it outdoors a lot more often than indoors anyway ;)

Im sure you have it just right.  But... there is always plan b: http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail/366100400706_Carbine-Barrel-162-Evo

Offline John A.

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 08:38:22 AM »
I'm hoping I don't need plan B.

By the time I bought a barrel and handguard, I'd be in for around $350'ish which is almost half the cost of the entire gun.  That's simply not going to happen.

Plus, I don't want to add velocity.  I'm happy with it where I'm at.  If this doesn't work, I just keep what I have and forget it.

This alternative cost about $25 plus my time.

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 08:55:14 AM »
I'm hoping I don't need plan B.

By the time I bought a barrel and handguard, I'd be in for around $350'ish which is almost half the cost of the entire gun.  That's simply not going to happen.

Plus, I don't want to add velocity.  I'm happy with it where I'm at.  If this doesn't work, I just keep what I have and forget it.

This alternative cost about $25 plus my time.

Darn, you're right, once you add it up, you are half way to a new gun! It's almost like building a car put of a year one catalog, Ha!

I am really impressed with what you did here. You had a cool idea, and the tools and talent to make it happen. That is super cool, very respectable.

Offline Arachnid

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 09:37:17 AM »
Cool. One can add up all the dollars involved in a project like this but that pales in comparison to the value of personal satisfaction (whether it works or not) - which is immeasurable! Wish I had the metal working equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline John A.

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
If it doesn't work, I'll be disappointed.  Not going to lie because I'm a perfectionist, but I don't want to risk my can either. 

It would be no problem at all using it as a simple barrel extension as is.  That is easy.

My biggest hurdle is keeping everything straight.  Internal holes, threading, cutting down the exterior and threading.

The length isn't doing me any favors either because the longer it is, the more a slight variance is going to be evident.  And also why I'm keeping everything really close to the chuck while I'm working on it to reduce that as much as possible.

I changed the gears in my lathe this morning so I could make the 1mm internal thread and made three passes with the internal threading cutter, but the wall is really thin in that area and out of an abundance of caution so I don't poke through the side if I goof up and go too deep, I am going to finish it with a 18x1mm tap by hand after I buy one.

Now that the single point cut is made, should guide the tap as well if I just finished it on the machine without too much problem.

Once I get the machining done, if I think its' too thin in that area, I'll make a sleeve to go around it to reinforce it and tig it.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 10:26:55 AM by John A. »

Offline John A.

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »
Been really busy with my family the last few days and haven't had any extra time to work on this.

I machined some of the exterior surface this morning even though most of the grooves will be hidden (recessed) back underneath of the handguard.

I mostly did the exterior work to reduce some of the weight because it's unnecessary and to put it on a diet, but machined in the grooves to serve as a built-in "barrel cooler".   

I also reprofiled the last 3 inches of the barrel and turned it down thinner, to match the OD of the scorpion carbine pencil barrel better to give it more of a factory look at the same time.

I will be using Norrells Moly socom black firearm finish on the barrel and extension after I pin and weld it, but I used some cold blue on the raw metal that will be hiding underneath of there to protect it in case of future abrasions in the finish.

Only things I have left to do now is to complete the 18mm threading, making sure everything is straight enough to use my can, and then pin/weld and refinish.  I doubt that I'll do any more major machinework to the piece.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:12:03 AM by John A. »

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »
Very nice. A little black or bronze coating on there would look sharp.

Offline John A.

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2017, 11:14:47 AM »
It has a light coat of gun blue now to help protect the metal if/when it got scuffed later on.

I do plan to refinish the barrel and extension with Norrells moly, but that will be after it's tested to make sure I can use the extension with my can and after the extension is pinned and welded.

I've used the Socom black on a couple of my F1 silencer builds in the past and it holds up great.

Offline John A.

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2017, 07:21:01 PM »
I ordered the M18x1.0 RH tap this evening.  I expect that I'll probably get it around the middle of the week so I can be one step closer to finishing the project.

I also turned some of the OD down and put some step taper in the profile and removed many of the little grooves I put in it earlier.  Mostly to reduce more of the weight.  And I think it looks better overall too.

It's a little under 9 ounces right now, which is about where I thought it should be.

It will be cerakoted after it's pinned and welded and will look better once it's fully completed.  I just went over it with some blue while the metal was still hot from the lathe work so it'll have a protective undercoat, but for the time being, this is how it sits.

Offline Cati

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2017, 09:44:20 PM »
Looks good