Author Topic: Opinions on the new DW VALOR BLUE....?  (Read 243 times)

Offline The Guardian

• Always watching...
Opinions on the new DW VALOR BLUE....?
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:04:36 AM »
Trying to stay strong, but it looks pretty darn....well, pretty  ;D   Am I just feeling the honeymoon phase of this new offering or is there really something about it ?

http://danwessonfirearms.com/product/valor-blue/
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:14:11 AM by The Guardian »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)

Offline Jigo23

Re: Opinions on the new DW VALOR BLUE....?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:13:37 PM »
I think it's a real beauty!  To me nothing like a blued finish on any firearm, but especially a 1911. I just haven't heard anything from anyone who's bought one of these yet?? Maybe we'll have to pave the way. Love my DW VBOB might give it a go. 

Offline Westy

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 02:08:13 PM »
The blued Valor speaks to me as well. There is just something about blued 1911's in today's world of either stainless or painted on finishes.

I dipped my toe in the DW water this spring with a purchase of an ECO. I will be back for a second helping and am seriously considering a blued Valor.

Offline The Guardian

• Always watching...
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »
Strangest thing, I was a my local range and a guy set up right next to me and he happened to have a DW Valor Blue in 9mm he just got.....an obvious sign from the gun-gods......so I immediately be-friended him ;D ...and I asked if I could take a look at the Valor Blue, so he let me handle it....really nice feel, very dark bluing, almost looked black with a blue-ish hue to it, the range was outdoors, nice sunny day. After looking it over, the guy started shooting it, no issues, very accurate....then he went to put it on the range table and it fell on the concrete  :o....only damage the corner of the rear sight fortunately.  The finish was really nice, I kinda wish they hadn't bead blasted the frame quite so much, the top of the slide I get, less glare on the sight picture....aside from the polished sides on the slide the rest is a matte blue look, still nice but not the shinier more classic bluing I had hoped for, probably more work than it was worth at that price point.....still overall a nice set up, it's a DW after all.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 10:17:31 AM by The Guardian »
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." — John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist" (1976)

Offline wscrst

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »
Please be careful before purchasing a Valor blue 9mm.  I fell in love with the look, but my firearm's aesthetic does not match the DW website photo.  There is an unsightly area between the grip and magazine base plate.  I just posted my problem on this same forum subcategory in the hope of finding out if my problem is isolated or if it is the same on all 9mm Valor 1911s.  Let me emphasize that this is only an aesthetic problem.  The gun fits great.  The mag fits great.  With the mag removed the firearm looks like a dream gun.  I am sure that DW will be able to figure out a solution for me.

Offline wscrst

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 08:54:29 PM »
Dan Wesson has not solved this problem yet.  Please do not purchase a valor 9mm unless you are holding it in your hand and it looks like you want it to.  I will post more as a solution is reached.