Author Topic: Best Hearing Protection  (Read 604 times)

Offline 007_Bond

Best Hearing Protection
« on: September 21, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
Hey guys!

Just wondering if someone can recommend to me the best pair of hearing protection / ear covers for shooting?

My primary goal is to cancel out ALL noise possible. I don't care about hearing my friends next to me.

Offline SlvrDragon50

Re: Best Hearing Protection
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 09:54:22 AM »
What's your budget? I'd get some custom ear plugs with those massive -34dB muffs on top.

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 10:24:12 AM »
What's your budget? I'd get some custom ear plugs with those massive -34dB muffs on top.

Small budget.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • Fascinating
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 10:30:33 AM »
Get some industrial ear plugs and top them off with these: Clear Armor Shooters ear muffs. Currently on sale for $14.95. 31Db reduction.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline Rmach

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »
These are the best replacement muffs that I could find, and they perform better than I expected. You're going to get many suggestions. This pair has the highest industry rating at 37db and tons of excellent reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Safety-Muffs-Decibel-Defense/dp/B01BEENYCQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506003951&sr=8-1&keywords=decibel+defense+ear+muffs
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 10:34:35 AM by Rmach »
Matte stainless CZ75b, CZ Shadow Orange, CZ P-01, CZ75b, CZ SP-01, Grand Power Xcalibur, Sig P226 SSE, Tristar C-100, P-100

Offline rdcinhou

• Coat of Arms for Uherský Brod
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2017, 10:44:17 AM »
Use ear plugs AND 3M Peltor Optime 105 over the ear muffs. I have a pair mounted to my hardhat (working around noisy machinery with high frequency components) and I have a pair for the range. Designed for very high noise environments. 

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-PELTOR-Optime-105-Over-the-Head-Earmuffs-H10A-10-EA-Case?N=5002385+8709322+8712275+3294758533&rt=rud

While they don't make it absolutely 100% quiet, they do reduce the outside noise enough to where you can hear your own heartbeat in your ears.

sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020 from AT&T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 06:49:01 PM by rdcinhou »
CZ 24, CZ 27, CZ 38, CZ 45, CZ 52, Vzor 70, CZ75BΩ, CZ75D PCR Compact, CZ 75 P07 Duty, CZ75 SP-01 Phantom, CZ Shadow 2 Urban Grey, CZ P09 DUTY, P10C, CZ 82, CZ 83, CZ 97BE, CZ 2075BD RAMI, CZ 452 American. CZ 550 UCS (Urban Counter Sniper), CZ 805 Bren, DUO  & Z

Offline dominic135

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
Speaking as one who has lost their hearing, or at least to the point hearing aides are required, The best invention for hearing protection are foam plugs plus headsets. I lost much of my hearing as a sonar tech on submarines. I even had to switch rates for my second enlistment as a Machinist Mate. We didn't have foam plugs in the 70's. I don't even think we had the rubber plugs back then. Working in the engine room, even with headphones, did the most damage. Now I've seen many people don ear plugs but most people do it wrong. You don't just shove the full plug over the ear canal. Roll them in your fingers until they are skinny and then insert one end deep into the ear canal. It won't touch anywhere close to the ear drum and will expand in the canal blocking more sound than the ear phones will. Then add a headset for double protection. With the foam plugs correctly installed you don't need expensive head sets, the plugs do most of the work. So, choose head sets with comfort in mind. The more comfortable they are the less chance of you adjusting them, leaving your hearing partially protected. I did buy a pair of inexpensive sound compensating ear phones last month, and i'm very impressed with them. For me, deaf as I am, I hear nothing when doubly protected which is dangerous in itself. With the sound cancelling set, I can still hear lane orders. cost of the VENTUREGEAR sound cancelling headphones was $20 at the range. As a general rule of thumb, the lighter the product is the higher the sound insulation. The foam plugs with thousands of tiny air pockets, isolate sound better than more solid products like rubber or plastics. So foam plugs offer the most protection when installed properly and if you can only have one protection, foam is best!

Offline 007_Bond

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 04:48:14 AM »
Thx everyone.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Offline dshoub

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »
I would have suggested Howard Leight Impact Pro earmuffs, but the damn omnidirectional speakers in mine have just cut out after less than a year. I'm not a happy camper  >:(

Offline Kenneth

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 03:32:21 PM »
I would have suggested Howard Leight Impact Pro earmuffs, but the damn omnidirectional speakers in mine have just cut out after less than a year. I'm not a happy camper  >:(

Mine stop working as well but I️ have had them a lot longer then a year. I’m not too happy about it either.

I️ have been reading some good things about the Walkers and might get a pair of them.

I️ WANT a pair of MSA Sordins but big $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hyujmn

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 03:44:24 PM »
I use pretty much what everyone else says, too. Ear plugs plus any set of ear muffs. The way I see it, the plugs do most of the heavy lifting so any additional dampening from even a cheap pair of ear muffs is better than nothing at all. I personally use a pair of Howard leight ear muffs (non electronic ones).

You can never be too safe when it comes to hearing protection.

Offline dshoub

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 02:02:21 PM »
Mine stop working as well but I️ have had them a lot longer then a year. I’m not too happy about it either.

I️ have been reading some good things about the Walkers and might get a pair of them.

I️ WANT a pair of MSA Sordins but big $$$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walkers? Haven't heard of them but I'll have to check them out. Never heard of MSA Sordins either, but even if they're pricey it might be worth it to protect ones hearing. Thanks for the suggestions.
Hmm

Offline novacz

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 11:22:10 PM »
. With the foam plugs correctly installed you don't need expensive head sets, the plugs do most of the work. So, choose head sets with comfort in mind. The more comfortable they are the less chance of you adjusting them, leaving your hearing partially protected.

I was about to type something similar as I've discovered that finding comfortable and good-fitting over the ear protection might be more important that it's sound reduction rating. Finding a pair that fits you well and provides a good seal over your ears and over the stems of your eye protection is the key. Granted, since everyone's head is shaped differently, what works for me might not work for you, so you'll likely have to experiment to find the pair that works best for you.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:07 AM »
The biggest problem with my foam ear plugs and then muffs over the top - is that with my shooting glasses on, the muffs don't fit snug against them and let more sound in.  Once I get that figured out - it'll be quieter.

anything