Author Topic: Open Carry  (Read 6794 times)

Offline K3JB

Open Carry
« on: September 22, 2017, 01:02:44 AM »
I am out in Washington on vacation hiking in the Cascades.from Maryland. They have open carry here and it seems to work well.
People accept it and it is obviously no big deal from the folks who do not carry.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline MadDuner

Re: Open Carry
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 07:18:46 AM »
The farther away you get from a big city - the more you run into people that understand that self defense, self reliance, and personal responsibility are a necessary part of existing in the real world.

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 09:09:23 AM »
We can carry in Ohio openly but I've seen very few do so. The consensus being it's best to not even let people know you have it. I stick with concealment simply because I don't care to draw attention to myself from anyone.
If I lived out in wide open country I'd probably be openly carrying a big bore wheel gun though.

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 10:50:02 PM »
Out in the open desert here, people might look at you funny if you aren't carrying a sidearm, especially in the Southern portions of the state. It can be a nice feeling when you have people come together who are open carrying, and the next thing you know, everyone is swapping gun stories and getting along famously.

Offline 2bfree

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 11:23:24 PM »
I am out in Washington on vacation hiking in the Cascades.from Maryland. They have open carry here and it seems to work well.
People accept it and it is obviously no big deal from the folks who do not carry.
Yep, works in the Cascades, but just try it in Seattle, Hell, they even arrested an old man for using a golf club as a walking stick, It could be used as a weapon. It did get tossed out but he still had to go to jail.

Offline MadDuner

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:30:36 PM »
Out in the open desert here, people might look at you funny if you aren't carrying a sidearm, especially in the Southern portions of the state. It can be a nice feeling when you have people come together who are open carrying, and the next thing you know, everyone is swapping gun stories and getting along famously.

That happens a lot out there in the desert!

Offline K3JB

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 12:03:44 AM »
I am sure you are correct about Seattle, we were hiking on Mt Baker, Glacier, Washington and passed a couple of folks on the trail carrying.
Unfortunately I did not get a chance to chat with them. I have a CFL for florida and I like not drawing attention by not carrying out in the open.
Of course, this is just my comfort level. Out in the Cascades, it is a different story. A couple of wheel guns, and two 1911's of what I could see
on the trail.
"Blessed is the man, who having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy evidence of the fact." - George Eliot

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
I agree with those that feel open carry isn't the best choice in the city. 
Especially in crowded areas,  it could make you a target. 

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 04:45:45 PM »
I am sure you are correct about Seattle, we were hiking on Mt Baker, Glacier, Washington and passed a couple of folks on the trail carrying.
Unfortunately I did not get a chance to chat with them. I have a CFL for florida and I like not drawing attention by not carrying out in the open.
Of course, this is just my comfort level. Out in the Cascades, it is a different story. A couple of wheel guns, and two 1911's of what I could see
on the trail.

Seattle always trys to out Liberal Portland........but that's a hard task to undertake....
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Cati

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »
Lol.  Portland is the hipster capital of the US.

Offline K3JB

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
The North West is certainly beautiful country. I think if I lived in the unpopulated areas
I would feel comfortable carrying open. I just live around so many people that you definitely would
be a target.

Offline Grendel

• Administrator
  • 'Live Long, and Prosper'
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 11:43:55 AM »
Always carry, never tell.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges - Tacitus

Inter arma enim silent leges - Cicero

I wasn't born in America, but I got here as fast as I could.

Offline nicky

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 12:59:37 PM »
I am originally from the big city so I have a big city mentality. Open carry is like having hundred dollar bills sticking out of your pockets. You are going to get mugged. I would not advertise the fact.

Out in the open country would be a different story.

Offline recoilguy

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 05:48:49 PM »
Always carry, never tell.
Right on!

IMHO!
Its easy being a communist in a free country
What's hard is to be free in a communist country

Offline Tyerone

• Saving the planet.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 09:57:34 PM »
Not too long ago, only bad guys concealed their arms.

Even today, I'd wager that open carriers are good guys as a percentage far exceeding those good guys who carry concealed (almost all bad guys still cc -- illegally).  Guess what group I'd rather be around. . .

Despite my belief that bad guys would rather target easier prey than an open carrier, I still like the unknown factor the criminal must face -- that maybe "those guys" not obviously carrying are.