Author Topic: 550 with case feeder for 9mm and 223  (Read 205 times)

Offline benq

550 with case feeder for 9mm and 223
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »
I have a Dillon 550 with case feeder setup for 9mm. My intention is to start loading 223 with a goal of shooting 2-gun matches.  My limitations are workbench space and budget. I shoot enough 9mm and the case feeder reduces reload time significantly so I prefer to keep it installed.

Here are my thoughts on how I might still be able to use my press setup for both 9mm and 223.

Purchase one toolhead, quick change assembly(comes with a toolhead) and Dillon 223 dies. Setup one toolhead with only the sizing die in station #2.  Setup the other toolhead with the rest of the dies in the normal station position.  I would use the first toolhead for the obvious re-sizing, swap it out for the second to continue on with the reload process. Case preparation to take place in between toolhead changes.

To add a case in the press with the second toolhead installed, I would have to remove the locator button from station #2 and proceed with loading.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Ben

Update:  Just realized I can't deprime in any other station than #1.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 12:30:03 PM by benq »

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
Re: 550 with case feeder for 9mm and 223
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 11:14:10 AM »
I have a Dillon 550 with case feeder setup for 9mm. My intention is to start loading 223 with a goal of shooting 2-gun matches.  My limitations are workbench space and budget. I shoot enough 9mm and the case feeder reduces reload time significantly so I prefer to keep it installed.

Here are my thoughts on how I might still be able to use my press setup for both 9mm and 223.

Purchase one toolhead, quick change assembly(comes with a toolhead) and Dillon 223 dies. Setup one toolhead with only the sizing die in station #2.  Setup the other toolhead with the rest of the dies in the normal station position.  I would use the first toolhead for the obvious re-sizing, swap it out for the second to continue on with the reload process. Case preparation to take place in between toolhead changes.

To add a case in the press with the second toolhead installed, I would have to remove the locator button from station #2 and proceed with loading.

Your suggestion of spitting your dies between 2 separate tool heads is exactly how I did 223 on my 550.

• First tool head with Sizing Die only (in position #1). No new primers in feeder. Cases are fed via the case feeder. Cases work their way around and fall in the blue hopper.

• Trim and tumble the (primer-less) brass out of the press.

• Second tool head is filled with Powder Die (in position #2) and Bullet Seating Die (in position #3). Cases are fed via the case feeder (again). New primers seated in position #1. Finished rounds work their way around and fall in the blue hopper.

So you can use your case feeder twice. You are not dumping in hundreds of cases as per 9mm reloading. You are only dumping in a specified number of 223 cases you expect to reload.

;)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:18:01 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline benq

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »

@Wobbly, Thank you.

Now I just have to open my wallet up and let Mr. Visa do his thing!

Ben

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 11:57:43 PM »
Now I just have to open my wallet up and let Mr. Visa do his thing!

Ben -

Shooting the "money gun" can be an exhilarating experience too.

;)
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline himurax13

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 04:27:23 PM »
I thought the Case Feeder on the 550 was incompatible with rifle length cases.

anything