Author Topic: Rusting Magazines  (Read 1488 times)

Offline longgonedaddy

Rusting Magazines
« on: September 28, 2017, 04:23:36 PM »
I just found that three of my older OEM CZ magazines are showing rust spots on them.  What do you guys recommend to fix this?

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
Re: Rusting Magazines
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 04:39:33 PM »
Never had it with stock or Mec-Gars.
I clean and polish inside and out with car polish:  I use Meguiars Gold
Lasts a long time . :-\

The Guardian

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 07:45:54 PM »
Pretty simple.....just remove the rust with a brush or very fine (500) grit and rub on some oil.  Or after you remove the rust you can re-blue the mag, steel wool it and then seal it with some oil.   ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:17:56 PM by The Guardian »

Offline armoredman

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 11:39:22 PM »
I need to fix three of my Phantom mags for the same issue, but that because incorrect mag holders and sweaty skin during summer time in AZ. Eats metal. Right now I brush them with a bronze brush and treat with Weapon Shield oil, but I will need to get them reblued sometime in the future.
Not as bad as an old boss of mine who was so acidic he ate through the Wonder Finish on his Witness in a matter of two days simply by resting his arm on the holstered handgun.

Offline badwrench

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »
If you want to fix the problem for good, get the mags electroless nickle plated...not cheap, but the problem is sloved for good, I did that with 4 mags, and no rusting issues since.

Offline Vernonion

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 10:46:13 AM »
My local gunsmithgave me a formula that he uses as a rust remover that he swears by. I have never used it but I have seen the result and it is amazing. He uses one part Kroil to one part Gunzilla to one part PB Blaster.
I don't have any real rust problems so all I have is anecdotal evidence.

Offline nicky

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 04:49:14 PM »
Check out this site:http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Removal.

You can find some good tips there.

Hope it is of some help.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 07:18:51 PM »
I use 0000 steel wool with a little bit of oil (3n1 or Mobil 1 - doesn't matter as long as it's a light machine oil).  I put a couple drops of oil on the steel wool (small piece, torn off one end of the bigger pad) and lightly rub the rusty areas.  Then wipe with the same oil rag I wipe my guns with after handling/cleaning.

I've noticed (for some reason) that I'm not having an issue with my pistol magazines (MecGar or CZ - made by MecGar I read hear) rusting.

I carry the spare in my pants pocket.  I handle it putting it in the pocket, handle it pulling it out to set back on the top of the cabinet, repeat, repeat, repeat, 3 or 4 times a day.  I keep looking at them and they are still looking good when I do wipe them down with the oily rag after a week or more of daily handling.

I don't know how badly your mags. rusted.  The above process won't remove pits in the metal, just the surface rust.

Couple of pics if you haven't seen them.  Rusty piece of shotgun barrel before and after the 0000 steel wool, 3n1 oil, light rubbing, wipe down with oily rag.

You can see a large rusty area on the right side of the barrel piece, near the tape.

I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline Cati

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 04:00:52 PM »
I use the same method

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »
Looks good.
The only problem I've had using oil on mags (many years back) is dropping mags in Texas dirt can result in a useless mag until cleaned.  Polishing it,  makes it both slippery inside where cartridges sliiiide ,  stops rust and doesn'mind being dropped in the dirt.  Just shake the dirt off and reload.
Just saying.what works for me.

Offline M1A4ME

• I've shot the rest, I now own the best - CZ
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
1SOW, if I lived where it was dusty (only dusty around here when it hasn't rained in awhile and I stir things up with the big mower) the oil I use could be an issue.  I've also read (many years ago) that many people in the Pacific North West use wax to protect their fire arms from moisture since they do so much of their hunting in rainy conditions.
I just keep wasting time and money on other brands trying to find/make one shoot like my P07 and P09.  What is wrong with me?

Offline ccr

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:04:33 AM »
Triple 000 steel wool and oil. Remember to keep them well oiled or the rust will return
Cummings Custom Refinishing offers Quality Craftsmanship at affordable prices. Fully Lic FFL's for over 29 years
OFTEN IMITATED BUT NEVER DUPLICATED
423-639-8924
www.ccrrefinishing.com