Author Topic: 9mm 124 Gr. RMR Jacketed Hollow Point Bullets *NEW*  (Read 785 times)

Offline Roger Vick

9mm 124 Gr. RMR Jacketed Hollow Point Bullets *NEW*
« on: October 01, 2017, 05:36:21 PM »
I got a few 250 to test today and I'm happy to say they shot as good as any RMR bullet I've tested. Now after testing 5 RMR bullets I can't decide what to order in bulk they all work really well. 5000 of each is my thinking  ;)

9mm 124 Gr. RMR Jacketed Hollow Point Bullets *NEW*
Link https://rmrbullets.com/shop/bullets-for-reloading/bullets-for-reloading-9mm-355-12/9mm-124-gr-rmr-jacketed-hollow-point-new/?v=7516fd43adaa

CZ 75 SP 01 CGW

They Plunk @ 1.146
Load
Mixed range brass
HP-38 4.2gr
OAL 1.130

Offline ReloaderFred

Re: 9mm 124 Gr. RMR Jacketed Hollow Point Bullets *NEW*
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 07:13:16 PM »
I've been shooting them in my 9x19 AR Carbine, and they're as accurate as any premium bullet I've tried through it.  At 30 yards, with open sights, 10 shots went into one ragged hole off the bipod.  This was using BE-86, which has also proven to be an accurate powder.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline Roger Vick

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 07:55:41 PM »
I've been shooting them in my 9x19 AR Carbine, and they're as accurate as any premium bullet I've tried through it.  At 30 yards, with open sights, 10 shots went into one ragged hole off the bipod.  This was using BE-86, which has also proven to be an accurate powder.

Hope this helps

Fred

Thanks Fred, that's good to know. I have narrowed my bullet selection now I need to start testing powders. I'll give BE-86 and a few others a try

« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:57:40 PM by Roger Vick »

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 02:44:11 AM »
Fred, have you tested their in-house 124gr MPR extensively?  And if so, how does it compare to the bullet in this thread?

I know they make some of the bullets they sell, and some are made by other companies.  I will try RMR soon, but I'm interested only in the bullets they make in-house.

Offline Wobbly

• Loves the smell of VihtaVuori in the morning !
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 04:29:03 AM »
Fred, have you tested their in-house 124gr MPR extensively?  And if so, how does it compare to the bullet in this thread?

From their web page...

This is our very own 124 grain jacketed hollow point.  We call it our MPR (Multi-Purpose Round) for several reasons.  When we designed this bullet, we designed it with four different shooters in mind.  First, we needed a hollow point that would work well for self defense or hunting. So we designed it to expand and penetrate at proper FBI specifications.  Second, we wanted to have a bullet that could be inexpensive enough to practice with.  So, we developed a bullet that can still meet FBI specs but not cost as much as what other companies charge.  Third, we wanted to make sure it was accurate enough for our competitive shooters who don’t want lead exposed bases.  We now have several competitive shooters reporting great results with them.  Fourth, this HP design was made with our .357 sig users in mind.  The ogive was made in such a way that allows .357 sig users to seat the bullet to SAAMI spec and have a little extra room to customize the load if needed.

I take this last part to mean that it's nose (or ogive) is more blunt than the others.

Info stolen from another web site...

« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:08:48 AM by Wobbly »
In God we trust; On 'starting load' we rely.

Immature reloaders ask: What's wrong with this gun?
Mature reloaders ask: What did I do wrong ?

Offline ReloaderFred

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 10:59:35 AM »

I know they make some of the bullets they sell, and some are made by other companies.  I will try RMR soon, but I'm interested only in the bullets they make in-house.

These that I'm shooting now are the last iteration Jake is making in-house.  I've only tested them in the carbine, but with Ramshot Silhouette (the old Winchester WAP) and Alliant BE-86.  The BE-86 loads were slightly more accurate (read smaller groups) than the Silhouette loads, but with a different point of impact.  Once I settle in "the load", then I'll adjust the sights on the carbine for that load and it will be the load I reserve for the carbine.

Hope this helps.

Fred
After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs

Offline viking499

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:00 AM »

From their web page...

This is our very own 124 grain jacketed hollow point.  We call it our MPR (Multi-Purpose Round) for several reasons.  When we designed this bullet, we designed it with four different shooters in mind.  First, we needed a hollow point that would work well for self defense or hunting. So we designed it to expand and penetrate at proper FBI specifications.  Second, we wanted to have a bullet that could be inexpensive enough to practice with.  So, we developed a bullet that can still meet FBI specs but not cost as much as what other companies charge.  Third, we wanted to make sure it was accurate enough for our competitive shooters who don’t want lead exposed bases.  We now have several competitive shooters reporting great results with them.  Fourth, this HP design was made with our .357 sig users in mind.  The ogive was made in such a way that allows .357 sig users to seat the bullet to SAAMI spec and have a little extra room to customize the load if needed.

I take this last part to mean that it's nose (or ogive) is more blunt than the others.

Since some CZ's can be finicky when loading, wonder how this new ogive will do with the CZ feed ramp?

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 02:00:10 PM »

Thank you for the picture. I am wondering if longer cylindrical bearing part (shank?) produce measurable benefits to the accuracy.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 11:28:51 PM »
Boris,  think Bullseye and back when wad/semi-wad cutters were the thing.  The issue has been debated for a loooong time.
I personally shoot the the fairly deep seated 9mm JHPs more consistently than the round nose bullets I've tried. 
I'm not a great shooter so "consistently" sounded better.  O0   

Purportedly concentricity is improved with deep seating and the longer bearing surface against the rifling both improve accuracy with a well made bullet.

These target types at speed require consistency.

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/116217991651932882942/album/AF1QipNcRw27_M9lsvG6hSe23oVmmls4Vhs47_ttyORm/AF1QipNB9bxtqyrE8fAT0OOwSFXLgMHgczYfDwESwVyw
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 01:13:04 AM by 1SOW »

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 01:10:05 AM »
The best 9mm bullet to me so far is Hornady 125gr HAP and PD 124gr JHP seconds. Those RMR remind me Zero JHP profile that many very happy with, but I have not tried. I am just wondering if its worth it. Will wait for more reviews on accuracy. The whole new load development process may take a large part of the winter.

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 01:43:04 AM »
I can't imagine a reason that a longer bearing surface on one bullet relative to another bullet would improve accuracy.  Quality of barrel, state of barrel, quality of bullet, and bullet to barrel fit, YES, absolutely, in big ways...

...but a long bearing surface?  What benefit would that provide?

Offline Boris_LA

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 01:49:21 AM »
Theoretically better centering? In practice the bullet (in)consistency may cancel it. Anybody tried them?

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 03:41:44 AM »
If the bullet to barrel fit is right, it won't help center at all.  The bullet will be as centered as it's going to be well before the bullet is all the way into the rifling.  The extra bearing surface at the back end of the bullet won't do diddly.

Offline 1SOW

• GO GREEN - Recycle 9MM
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 03:58:45 PM »
Concentricity referred to seating in the "case" .

Offline IDescribe

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »
Concentricity referred to seating in the "case" .

Right.  There's that.  And I also wonder if the deeply seated bullets also help by shrinking the remaining case volume that the powder occupies, thus improving consistency in powder position from shot to shot.

Reading articles about long range rifle (no serious experience there for me, just study), I've come across a couple of discussions of the improved consistency of powder position with short magnums, or otherwise existing rifle cartridges that have been re-invented with nearly identical internal ballistics, but with a shorter, fatter case.  It's not exactly the same thing, but I think there could be some of the same effect.  The less room in there for the powder to occupy, the more consistent the powder position should be from shot to shot, and the more consistent the burn should be... I would think.

Whether or not it makes any real difference inside 50 yards is a different question entirely.  I have no idea.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 05:38:14 PM by IDescribe »