Author Topic: Gas tube optic mount question  (Read 652 times)

Offline Deadeye

Gas tube optic mount question
« on: October 02, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »
Hi
I'm thinking about mounting an optic on my vz2008 that came with polymer fab defence handguards and gas tube rail.  Does anyone have experience with using a red dot on the polymer gas tube rail from that company?  I've heard conflicting reports so if you have any experience with this I would definitely appreciate any advice you have.  It does seem to be mounted on very tight, but if it isn't likely to hold zero I'll either have to figure something else out or just stick to iron sights.  I've been looking at the Sig Romeo 5 red dot to mount on it if it matters.
Thank you.

Offline wanderson

Re: Gas tube optic mount question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:21:59 PM »
Are we talking about the Fab Defense upper & lower polymer handguard that has the top mounted rail for optics? Or do you have a metal gas tube with a rail milled in to it like an Ultimak? I wasn't aware Fab Defense actually made a railed gas tube.

Biggest difference is that a railed gas tube (at least on an AK) is mounted low enough that a micro T-1 clone red dot like a TRS-25 or Romeo 5 is usually low enough to see the iron sights. If it's rails mounted on the upper handguard you'll block the irons with the red dot.

Offline Deadeye

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 05:11:07 PM »
Yes, it is the polymer fab defence hand guard set that I'm talking about.  If I can't co-witnes the irons it's ok, I'm just trying to figure out if a red dot will hold zero while mounted on it or if it's a bad option.

Offline RSR

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 11:17:28 PM »
NEA is better bet.  Will cowitness and also threaded for set screws against gas block and rear sight/piston channel housing that the rear upper handguard goes through so certain repeatable zero is certain from handguard.  No reason you can't use lower portion of Fab but side rails are on the upper.

Offline Deadeye

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 02:09:40 AM »
Thanks RSR, I'll check that out.

Offline knoxy

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 01:12:07 AM »
cncwarrior.com has bonesteel rails in stock. i've had one on for ~1500 rounds. It holds zero just fine. It cowitnesses with my aimpoint. I just picked up a 2nd set for my new vz.

I wanted to try an nea set but couln't find any available.

Offline 1775usmarine

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2017, 12:23:22 PM »
Now what about one I seen on ebay that is an original hand guard with a rail mounted on to it? Is/was it sturdily made or don't bother?

anything