Author Topic: Fit/finish DW Valor blue 9mm  (Read 6896 times)

Offline wscrst

Fit/finish DW Valor blue 9mm
« on: October 03, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »
As I gazed at the valor blue on line I fell in love.  I purchased one on line because my dealer was going to be $400 over the on line price.  As soon as I took the firearm out of the box there was a glaring aesthetic problem:  between the grip and the mag base plate there is an unsightly large area of steel/silver.  It 'appears' as if the magazine needs to be pushed further up but the mag is already seated quite nicely.  The base plate could go higher but it does not.  The grip could go lower but it does not.  Although the rest of the gun is gorgeous, fits great, and feels great, this ugly grip/mag union has me distraught.  I think that part of the problem is that the photo on the DW website does not change when I click from .45 to 9mm.  I fear that all 9mm Valors look like mine.  I now have seen photos on the internet (google orange county guns dan wesson valor blue 9mm) that look like my gun although they are sparse.  DW has been in close contact with me and providing the best service they can which I greatly appreciate.  I am willing to put forth cash to optimize the look of this gun.  For solutions I may have to post in the custom shop forum but I could see a larger base plate, a mag well extension.  In the end I might just have to buy a black magazine from Wilson or something and hope that it fits and at least "blacks out" the blemish.  I am surprised that Dan Wesson would produce a 1911 that looks like this bad.

That was too long.  My question is:  Does anyone else own a Valor 9mm (blue or otherwise)?  If so, does the grip/magazine/base plate area look different on your firearm compared to the DW website photo of a .45?  Thank you.  -Dave

The Guardian

Re: Fit/finish DW Valor blue 9mm
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:32:10 PM »
I've seen ones for sale both ways on line.....initially I thought the mags just weren't seated all the way.  The picture on the CZ-USA website is how they should look.  I can't believe the folks at DW would knowingly send a new model out the door with that gap, but like I said I've seen a lot of pics from dealers showing that same "PROBLEM".....and yes its a problem!  ???   Hopefully its just an issue with the wrongs mags being shipped or possible they are out of specs, length-wise.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:36:13 PM by The Guardian »

Offline wscrst

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 06:54:17 PM »
Thank you so much for your response.  You are the first person that has confirmed for me that there is a "problem." 

Offline SI VIS PACEM PARRABELLUM

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 04:46:10 AM »
If you feel there is a problem contact DW and tell them about it. They have good service just like CZ.

Offline wscrst

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 08:05:52 AM »
DW is already working on the case.  Thank you.

The Guardian

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »
DW is already working on the case.  Thank you.

Gotta let us know what they tell you......curious how things turn out

Offline wscrst

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 08:33:24 PM »
Update:  I am unsatisfied with the current Dan Wesson response.  I am shipping my mags to them to be exchanged for "flush" magazines.  However, I was told that they will be 10 round mags.  Truly flush mags would have to be 9 rounds so I am pessimistic that the result will be a nice looking firearm.  I have also asked that the photo of the valor 9mm be changed on their website to reflect the actual product.  I am told that this may be discussed when the marketing/advertising department meets.  My current plan is to look into magazines from other companies.  Wilson makes a 9 round mag which might be flush.  Tripp makes a dark mag which has a base plate which seems to extend quite high and might solve the problem.  Another thought was that I got a good deal on bud's gun shop.  Is it possible that Dan Wesson sold subpar guns cheaply to on line retailers?  Bud's and another on line retailer are using the good looking photo of the .45 for selling purposes.  Could something nefarious like this really happen with such a reputable company like DW? 

I remain unbelieving that Dan Wesson would put out a firearm that looks like mine knowingly.  I also find it surprising that my situation is being addressed as if it a small matter.  If my gun is a true Dan Wesson, then the company's reputation for fine firearms has been diminished.  Something is not right here.  Maybe I am not speaking to the correct person/people.  I'll post more if I know more.  More information is needed before any conclusions can be reached.

-Dave
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:53:01 PM by wscrst »

The Guardian

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
These are some pics to show the "problem", which DW doesn't apparently see as a problem.....you can decide.  I've seen one a local range in 9mm that had a proper fitting flush mag like the CZ-USA photo....I can't believe DW thinks the Vendor photo of what DW sent them is what they mean to sell, it just looks like the wrong mag???

CZ USA PHOTO: 45ACP Version

A PHOTO FROM A VENDOR ON GB OF ONE THEY HAVE FOR SALE: 9mm Version

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:37:57 PM by The Guardian »

Offline wscrst

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:50:25 AM »
First, those photos perfectly illustrate what I feel is a problem.  My magazines have been sent off and I eagerly await the return of alternative magazines.

Dan Wesson has now acknowledged that the ugly version as depicted in the photos above is the real version.  It is not an isolated mistake.  The basic questions remain:  1. How could a high end gun maker develop the valor 9mm and find it acceptable?  2.  How does a gun maker with a wonderful reputation for form, function, and service allow the wrong photo to be used on its website?

I will update with the new mags or any aftermarket magazines that I purchase and try out.  I will be trying 9 round mags, black mags, and competition mags with a large base plate.  If anyone out there has gone through this and has found a good mag for the valor blue 9mm to solve my problem, please share.

The Guardian

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 06:03:52 PM »
I'm really a DW fan, have been for a long time........have owned several, loved them all.  I'm sure this Steel Blued Valor functions/shoots as well as one would expect......its very disappointing they launched a new model in their "Flagship" line, with such an obvious issue, albeit a cosmetic one...to put it kindly.  Any 1911 owner, novice to die-hard, would find this unacceptable......unfortunate DW sees no issue with it.  ???
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:06:06 PM by The Guardian »

Offline wscrst

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 06:01:29 PM »
Shawn at Dan Wesson exchanged my 10 round magazines for 9 round flush fitting magazines without a black/polymer base plate.  The silver magazine matches the silver trigger.  A range report will follow.  I still plan to try some after market 10 round magazines.  Tripp will be my first order.

Offline 1steelshooter

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 10:18:29 AM »
Try a Mec-gar black ten round mag. They have a plastic base. They look to be very close to what you are looking for. If you get the Mec-gars they should have plastic followers which are an update from metal followers which wouldn't lock the slide back.  When my Mec-gar mags are inserted there is a very small gap at the bottom frame to the plastic base pad.

Offline wscrst

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »
I just ordered a mec-gar.  It does look pretty close to what I need.  I also ordered the tripp.

As for the flush 9 round Dan Wesson magazines, I have had no shooting problems.  The only problem I have is when I release a partially loaded magazine.  For some reason the gun holds onto the round in the chamber and pulls the next round up so that it comes out of the magazine and then falls separately to the ground.  I discovered this while doing a live fire/dry fire drill.  Seems like suboptimal performance for clearing any jam or a tactical reload.  Maybe the new mags will perform better. 

Maybe other Dan Wesson models are excellent in 9mm.  I know that my dad loves his PM9.  However, I would not purchase another "flagship" Valor.  Too many problems for this level of firearm.  It would be nice to hear about how others feel about a 9mm Valor.

Offline wscrst

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 08:13:49 AM »
Here is an attempt to post my images again since photobucket was a failure.  Awful quality, but compare these photos to the above stock photo.

[/url

[url=https://imgur.com/1vaDkj0]

Offline JohnN

Fit/finish DW Valor blue 9mm
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »

These pictures are of my DW Valkyrie.

Two different mags, stock Dan Wesson 9rd. which obviously fits flush.  The other mag a Wilson 10rd ETM with the stock base pad, the other a low profile steel baseplate.
As you can see the stock mag is flush fit the 10 rounders definitely hang down a bit.  I'm afraid if you want it flush fit you may be stuck with the 9rd flat baseplate.
Personally the extra capacity is worth the cosmetic faux paux to me.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:31:58 PM by JohnN »