Author Topic: How many of you use the "slide release" (aka bolt release) on your scorpion  (Read 801 times)

Offline SBh2oMan

I've run probably 1,000 rounds through mine and haven't touched it.  Just curious what I'm missing.  My normal "workflow" is:

1. Shoot until mag is empty and bolt stays open
2a. Flip safety on
2b. Rack bolt back and lock
3. Drop mag
4. Insert fresh mag
5a. Unlock & Drop bolt release
5b. Flip safety off
6. Continue shooting.

I'm assuming the only thing that the slide release does is substitute for 2b?  I'll confess I haven't played with it, and I'm sitting here bored on the other side of the planet from my Scorpion and wondering about it...

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:53:35 AM by SBh2oMan »

Offline jmstallard

If you manually lock the bolt back using the charging handle, then your step 5a (Drop bolt release) won't do anything, because the bolt/slide release isn't engaged at that point. Perhaps you meant to type "5a. unlock and release charging handle."

I have never used my slide release either, because it introduces unexpected behavior with the weapon. Under other circumstances, magazines freely drop when the magazine release lever is pressed. However, due to the way the disassembly pin is manufactured, magazines no longer freely drop when the slide release is engaged. I want consistent behavior under all reasonably common circumstances.

Offline SBh2oMan

Thanks, yea I guess I meant "unlock and release charging handle".   This is the first firearm I've owned of this type, so I'm getting used to the terminology and SOPs.   I've only had  garland-type action semi autos (and a variety of semi-auto 22's).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WaltherP99

I use it to load after a mag change. I'm not overly concerned with drop-free mags on the Scorp. I was at one point but I find it easier to just grasp the mag, thumb my paddle release and pull the mag out when needed so I don't worry about it much anymore.

Offline John A.

Don't use it.
When people ignorant of guns make gun laws, you end up with ignorant gun laws.

Offline akuser47

I sometimes use it sometimes I don't. I like the options on it

Offline Thrillbilly

It’s almost unusable in my opinion.

Offline SBh2oMan

So it seems some people use it and some don't.  For those of you that use it, what exactly does it accomplish?  That's what has me scratching my head...

Offline Wahoo9501

I use it no different than an AR. It saves the wasted time of locking the charging handle back on an open bolt.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline SouthernScorp

I just count to 31, drop the manticore mag, insert a new and continue firing. so none of the above  ::)
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Thrillbilly

I just count to 31, drop the manticore mag, insert a new and continue firing. so none of the above  ::)
i

I like the way you think.

Offline Wahoo9501

Counting rounds.....I wouldn't count on that when the pace picks up. It's great for toying around on the range but that's about it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline rcbif

Interesting. I use it all the time. I Only lock the bolt back with the CH to make the gun safe when putting it down on the bench at the range or for takedown.

Offline Arachnid

I'm with rcbif.

Offline chupacabra

i use it every single time

anything