Author Topic: How many of you use the "slide release" (aka bolt release) on your scorpion  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Wahoo9501

I use the bolt release sometimes as well. Took me awhile to learn myself  out of the habit of slapping the upper where an AR15 release would be.
Why, it's a similar motion

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline tattooo

I usually just slap the CH down bit do use the release also. So both.

Offline lousyshot

I haven't figured out how to use the #$##@ slide release yet, or under what circumstances it should be used. Perhaps someone who knows how to use it can explain it step by step. I've had my Scorp a total of three days, so, even on the internets, I can't yet pretend to be a Scorp expert.  :)

Offline Wahoo9501

I haven't figured out how to use the #$##@ slide release yet, or under what circumstances it should be used. Perhaps someone who knows how to use it can explain it step by step. I've had my Scorp a total of three days, so, even on the internets, I can't yet pretend to be a Scorp expert.  :)
You use it to drop the bolt during a reload.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline jmstallard

I haven't figured out how to use the #$##@ slide release yet, or under what circumstances it should be used. Perhaps someone who knows how to use it can explain it step by step. I've had my Scorp a total of three days, so, even on the internets, I can't yet pretend to be a Scorp expert.

Just to be clear, the bolt can by held open by two mechanisms: the charging handle, and the slide release. The charging handle holds the bolt open by use of a locking slot at the rear of its travel (pull the handle all the way back, then rotate up). The slide release holds the bolt open by moving upward slightly, either manually or by the magazine spring (only when empty), and preventing the bolt from moving forward.

To disengage the slide release, and by doing so allow the bolt to travel forward into battery, pull down on the slide release, which moves it out of the bolt's path of travel.

Offline Thrillbilly

I was pleasantly surprised today at the range. After hundreds of rounds, the release has loosened up a bunch and is much easier to operate. I used it a few times. Still want an extended version though.

Offline excalibur

Depends on my drills and what happens. Sometimes, I like to do the HK slap and at times, during drills, I need to because either the ammo makes the bolt not lock back or it could be the mag. Typically, the Manticore mags are the ones that keep giving me bolt lock issues

Offline r1013

Im glad I'm not the only one who has had trouble with it.  Im 6'3" and 200+ pounds.  I promise I workout with free weights and I'm even a black belt.  That slide release makes me feel like a major weakling!!  I put two thumbs on it and press with everything I can muster thinking something should have already broke.... Finally it releases!  Maybe after a while it will loosen up.  I like the idea of a tab like the AK photo.  Maybe I'll weld one on the factory release.

Offline SBh2oMan

I started the thread, have read through every response, and I still don't really understand why anyone uses it...   ;D

Offline rcbif

I started the thread, have read through every response, and I still don't really understand why anyone uses it...   ;D

- Magazine depletes, thus locking bolt back
-Drop mag
-Insert New mag
-drop bolt with bolt release.
-fire

There is no other faster way to change out mags-  other than on a closed bolt with one round still in the chamber.

I do not see why you would mess with the charging handle at all for a mag change. It adds an necessary step.

When I WILL mess with the charging handle.

-I transport gun unloaded, bolt closed, no magazine inserted
-Get to range, take gun out, put on bench, and lock back using charging handle.
-Very first mag I shoot, I insert mag, slap charging handle, and shoot
- From then on, if your gun functions properly, there is no further use to lock the bolt back with the charging handle for the rest of your range time, as the mag will do that for you.
- The only other Time I use it, is to lock the bolt back for cleaning - which is required for disassembly.

Also - just to brag, I'm a lefty and activating the bolt release with my trigger finger is perfect! Couldn't be better! Takes just the right amount of force. Wonder what it is that makes some claim theirs is too heavy?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:55:21 PM by rcbif »

Offline jameslovesjammie

• The Last Best Place
There is no other faster way to change out mags-  other than on a closed bolt with one round still in the chamber.

^^This^^

There is no way to manipulate the charging handle and get back on target as quickly as it is to push the button.  If you aren't dry, you don't have anything to worry about.

https://youtu.be/_BySopvMgJg?t=2m40s

Offline jmstallard

FYI, there's no need to "slap" the charging handle on this rifle; just reach up with your off-hand thumb and you can easily unlock it. Does the MP5 require an actual slap?

Offline rcbif

FYI, there's no need to "slap" the charging handle on this rifle; just reach up with your off-hand thumb and you can easily unlock it. Does the MP5 require an actual slap?

I actually just slide it down with the thumb of my support hand. Slapping it is "double handling" and slower.

Those slapping the evo do it to be tacticool. HK's have a legit reason to do it because they have a bump to overcome.

Offline SBh2oMan

^^This^^

There is no way to manipulate the charging handle and get back on target as quickly as it is to push the button.  If you aren't dry, you don't have anything to worry about.

https://youtu.be/_BySopvMgJg?t=2m40s

Bingo - that video just answered my original question.  Thanks for posting that.   Like I said in my original post, I'm new to this style firearm and all the tactical details related to it.  Interesting stuff to learn.

anything