Author Topic: Questions about first range day with 527 FS  (Read 1143 times)

Vukos

Questions about first range day with 527 FS
« on: October 04, 2017, 09:35:35 PM »
I've got my first CZ rifle coming in the mail soon and I've got a few questions to prepare for my first day at the range with it.

It is a CZ 527 FS in .223

I am primarily unsure about an acceptable firing rate with this full stock rifle. I understand this barrel is liable to heat up faster due to the full length stock. How many shots should I limit myself to per minute or per hour? This range has fifteen minute sessions with a five minute break in between. Should I be cleaning the barrel between these fifteen-minute sessions? I have read conflicting things about how often to shoot in this forum.

Also, is there a "first firing" procedure to follow for the first time (And I don't mean to open up the "breaking-in" debate)?

Thanks for any suggestions

Offline jkingrph

Re: Questions about first range day with 527 FS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:15:49 AM »
I have never shot a sporting rifle with a full stock, only military models.    I would think because all of the barrel is inletted into the stock vs about half on a standard stock, it would retain heat better than the standard stock, simply because there is less surface to radiate the heat out.   These are sporting rifles, in my opinion not intended to fire 10-12 shots fairly fast( you be the judge on that)  I would go with a slow, relaxed pace and reach up and touch the barrel every few shots and see hot hot it feels, and if I thought too hot, let it cool down.

Offline GroundhogHunter

• Groundhog Hunter in NC and Va
Re: Questions about first range day with 527 FS
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:50 PM »
I agree with jkingrph.  That worked well for me.  The barrel heats up after about 5 shots.  I would recommend taking another rifle or a good book to read inbetween.....lol   It is a hunting rifle and will not do sustained fire well.  I love my 527FS.....I hope you enjoy yours

CZ  .22lr     452  Lux , Ultra Lux, American, FS
      .22lr     453  Varmint
      .17HMR 452  American
      .223      527  American, FS
Love CZ's!

anything