Author Topic: Anyone tried the Apex low profile safeties?  (Read 1978 times)

Offline Lockean

Anyone tried the Apex low profile safeties?
« on: October 05, 2017, 01:10:10 PM »
I'm having trouble finding feedback on the newer Apex low profile safeties. Does any one have any experience with these? If so do they touch your hand in any way? I'm debating between these and the PMM. The Apex doesn't look like it offers the clearance the PMM does, but I like that there's more contact area for your thumb.

Offline Earl Keese

Re: Anyone tried the Apex low profile safeties?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 01:20:14 PM »
Since you mentioned the PMM safeties, I purchased a set of them a while back. They don't fit my Scorpion, which is an issue they're aware of. They told me 3-4 weeks to make a set that fits correctly. This is week 4.

Offline intheair

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 02:40:40 PM »
I went back to the stock ones, some aftermarket had loose fit.  Some locktite might help keep them tight.  The ones you picture might help the firearm from binding in a case etc.  Just depends if the tigger finger hits the safety too much.

Offline Thrillbilly

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »
I went back to the stock ones, some aftermarket had loose fit.  Some locktite might help keep them tight.  The ones you picture might help the firearm from binding in a case etc.  Just depends if the tigger finger hits the safety too much.

I did the HBI delete on one side and Im happy with it.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 07:15:31 PM »
Earl, pmm is bullsh...ing you.. I've been trying to get a replacement since july. Kept telling me 3-4 weeks month after month then finally admitted there wasnt enough demand to dedicate machine time to a problem 1 in 100 people have.
CZ Scorpion Evo S1 Pistol:

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Dual HBI Prostock Charging Handles
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Holosun HS515cu on ADM low mount
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 07:18:19 PM »
Williamc has been running the new apex safeties for about 4 months now, try asking him how theyre working out

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Earl Keese

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »
Earl, pmm is bullsh...ing you.. I've been trying to get a replacement since july. Kept telling me 3-4 weeks month after month then finally admitted there wasnt enough demand to dedicate machine time to a problem 1 in 100 people have.
Which side are you having problems with? On mine, the left side safety is too shallow to seat on the shaft all the way. The right will seat, but won't rotate when installed in the gun. I'm going to send another email tonight.

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 09:18:45 PM »
if you remove them it's bleep near impossible to get them lined up to insert the set screws and reinstall them, but once you do find that magic spot and it's installed it's pretty bleep stiff, even with a slight bend on my detent spring and rounded point.

It's live-with-able but don't tell people you're giving them free replacements and being put on "a list" then decide well the list would cost too much time so screw it.

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 09:22:50 PM »
from the owner:

Im still Going through my current inventory, In general I only get 1 out of every 100 Levers sold as tight So I am not going to scrap all these parts.  I will implement the Gen 2 chages when I get time to machine more and you will get an E-mail from me letting you know the gen 2 levers are ready.

basically until they sell all the pre-made levers they're not helping anyone with a problem..

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 09:23:42 PM »
Appologies to Lockean for the thread de-rail  :-\

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline williamc

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 08:03:25 AM »
Williamc has been running the new apex safeties for about 4 months now, try asking him how theyre working out

I bought my scorpion from a friend who had the Apex parts installed.  So far I like them enough not to try something else.  The Scorpion's safety is so darn stiff that having a smaller contact area means you have to be more deliberate about switching them off. 

From an "ambi" point of view, the right side does make contact with my hand, but not enough to cause discomfort.  I like having a right side safety because the stiffness makes it easier to switch on with my trigger finger instead of my thumb.

Remember too that safety bite is dependent on which grip you're running.  Some grips are "lower" and will keep your hand farther away from the safety.  I run a Yeti Wurks switchback, which is the best at keeping your hand low.

F6B6B9F0-EEA7-405E-92BC-EAB65A7E4DBD_zpsi27ixmjd by William Conway, on Flickr

I do love how "low profile" they are, and they look cool and they're very well made.

Maybe one of these days I'll take a dremel to my trigger cage and lighten things up a bit.  I guess that's a good way to sum up - I like them, but my complaints are more around the safety force than the ergonomics of the parts.  If you don't want to change the trigger cage, then look for safeties with more leverage (like the HB AK style) or a bigger contact surface.

CZ Scorpion - 7/21 by William Conway, on Flickr

5CB12F73-8103-40B5-B6DC-F37DE41D9B9A_zps3tcfismj by William Conway, on Flickr

« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 08:05:11 AM by williamc »
CZ Scorpion Evo3 S1 Pistol
http://www.instagram.com/wcpewpew/

Offline SouthernScorp

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 05:40:44 PM »
manticore is having a sale on theirs @30% off, pretty much like the parker mountains but with much better customer support.

SLR Synergy Mini comp
SBT-EVO Brace
PMM Safety Levers
Gearhead Mag Release
HBI Trigger Spring
HBI Delta Trigger
PMM QD Front & Rear
Magpul MS1 + QDs
Vendetta VP-17-A AFG

Offline Valk

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 03:34:36 AM »

I bought my scorpion from a friend who had the Apex parts installed.  So far I like them enough not to try something else.  The Scorpion's safety is so darn stiff that having a smaller contact area means you have to be more deliberate about switching them off. 

From an "ambi" point of view, the right side does make contact with my hand, but not enough to cause discomfort.  I like having a right side safety because the stiffness makes it easier to switch on with my trigger finger instead of my thumb.

Remember too that safety bite is dependent on which grip you're running.  Some grips are "lower" and will keep your hand farther away from the safety.  I run a Yeti Wurks switchback, which is the best at keeping your hand low.

I do love how "low profile" they are, and they look cool and they're very well made.

Maybe one of these days I'll take a dremel to my trigger cage and lighten things up a bit.  I guess that's a good way to sum up - I like them, but my complaints are more around the safety force than the ergonomics of the parts.  If you don't want to change the trigger cage, then look for safeties with more leverage (like the HB AK style) or a bigger contact surface.

Did you paint the selector line on yours yourself? I've got a set hanging out in my parts bin right now and was considering seeing if someone would be willing to laser the line, but if you figured out a trick to get them nice and clean like that I'm all ears.

anything